9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am checking out this form from the suggestion of a close friend who used this to navigate their greencard process while we originally went with lawyers. 

I am from Canada, my husband from the states, and while on a trip to the states we ended up getting married. We used lawyers so I'm not totally sure on everything, but we applied for a marriage based greencard and in the meantime we applied for a work and travel visa so I could work and live as normal in the states. When we got our interview we had been married justttttt under 2 years unfortunately, Therefore, the greencard I received was the conditional 2 year greencard. I now have to apply for the I-751 form to remove the conditions and hopefully receive my 10 year greencard. We've read over the form, and I have a few questions, and am posting here with the hope that we could go without the lawyers this time. Obviously it is understood that whoever responds is not giving me legal advice, just advice!

1) It keeps mentioning another fingerprinting. But I cannot tell if it's saying you most definitely will have to get another one, or if it's saying we might ask that. I had my fingerprints done the first time around so I don't know why I would have to get another. 

2) We are confused about the affidavits. Should you submit more than 2 to be safe? Can it be family members like parents or siblings? And what does it mean by "affidavits must be supported by other kinds of evidence listed above".

3) Do you give two checks for the biometric services and filing fees or one check for the total fee?

4) This sounds dumb but it's talking about secure lock boxes and stuff. Can you just send the papers via something like UPS and just make sure it's the good shipping with the tracking #?

5) Does anyone know what happens if I don't receive my 10 year greencard (if they ask for an interview or something) by the time my 2 year one expires? Can I just not leave the country or else they won't continue with my case?

Thanks so much any help or advice that anyone can give us! It is SO appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, madj22 said:

Hi,

I am checking out this form from the suggestion of a close friend who used this to navigate their greencard process while we originally went with lawyers. 

I am from Canada, my husband from the states, and while on a trip to the states we ended up getting married. We used lawyers so I'm not totally sure on everything, but we applied for a marriage based greencard and in the meantime we applied for a work and travel visa so I could work and live as normal in the states. When we got our interview we had been married justttttt under 2 years unfortunately, Therefore, the greencard I received was the conditional 2 year greencard. I now have to apply for the I-751 form to remove the conditions and hopefully receive my 10 year greencard. We've read over the form, and I have a few questions, and am posting here with the hope that we could go without the lawyers this time. Obviously it is understood that whoever responds is not giving me legal advice, just advice!

1) It keeps mentioning another fingerprinting. But I cannot tell if it's saying you most definitely will have to get another one, or if it's saying we might ask that. I had my fingerprints done the first time around so I don't know why I would have to get another. 

You will have another fingerprint/biometric session.

2) We are confused about the affidavits. Should you submit more than 2 to be safe? Can it be family members like parents or siblings? And what does it mean by "affidavits must be supported by other kinds of evidence listed above".

Affidavits are NOT required.  They are most helpful when people do not have a lot of financial co-mingling evidence, or when there are "red-flag" issues such as differences in religion, age, or culture.  The sentence about "must be supported" means you cannot JUST send affidavits.  If you have bank statements, a rental lease or mortgage together, etc., etc., you do NOT need affidavits.

3) Do you give two checks for the biometric services and filing fees or one check for the total fee?

You may submit one check.

4) This sounds dumb but it's talking about secure lock boxes and stuff. Can you just send the papers via something like UPS and just make sure it's the good shipping with the tracking #?

A "lockbox" in USCIS parlance means that mail is delivered to a locked mailbox, and has to be scanned and accounted for when it is removed.  Just use the USPS address and get a tracking number, or, use UPS and keep your tracking number.

5) Does anyone know what happens if I don't receive my 10 year greencard (if they ask for an interview or something) by the time my 2 year one expires? Can I just not leave the country or else they won't continue with my case?

When you submit your I-751 paperwork, you will receive a letter from USCIS that extends the date on your greencard by 18 months.  MOST people have gotten their 10-year card within the 18 months.  KEEP THIS PIECE OF PAPER AND YOUR GREENCARD IN A SAFE PLACE.  You must use BOTH documents together until you get your 10-year card.  You may leave the country as long as you have both documents with you.

Thanks so much any help or advice that anyone can give us! It is SO appreciated.

Best of luck~!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. Fingerprinting depends on USCIS.  They may or may not ask you to go get one.

2. Affidavits are dilute. They're not strong and do not add as much weight to your case.

3. One check totaling both is fine. 

4. Lockbox and such depend on what service you use between Fedex, USPS or UPs 

5. After submitting your ROC, you will immediately receive an 18 month extension letter, which extends the validity of your GC by 18 months from the expiration date shown on your GC. Hopefully, by the time the 18 months is up, you'll have got your new 10 year GC. If not, you'll have to deal with USCIS for another extension. To add, depending on circumstances, you may or may not need an interview for your ROC. That all depends on USCIS. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

You have to pay for another Biometrics. Its up to USCIS  weather you get printed or not. Sometimes its waved sometimes not.

Supported means they want more evidence of a bonified marriage, taxes, bank accounts shared property etc etc. I did not send an affidavit .

I sent one check

Send it to the address listed on the directions of the form. From there they will distribute your form to the proper service center

5) Does anyone know what happens if I don't receive my 10 year green card (if they ask for an interview or something) by the time my 2 year one expires? Can I just not leave the country or else they won't continue with my case?

You will receive a I-797 in the mail which states that your green card is extended 18 months while they process you petition

Thank you so much to anyone who responded. You all made my life so much easier.

Remainder questions: 

1) So, I apply, and then I wait to see whether or not they ask me to do fingerprints or an interview or for more evidence?

2) When I read the explanation of the I-751 form the government provides they don't make it seem like the affidavits are optional. But you all are saying if you have enough evidence, you don't need them and they hold very little weight?

3) We might change addresses in the time while the application is being processed. Is this as easy as submitting a form? I am terribly afraid our mail would get mixed up. 

4) Can you travel within the 3 months prior to the expiration? I plan to apply in late Nov when the 3 month window to apply opens and then I want to go home for christmas. My conditional greencard expires in february. I am wondering if the letter with the extension doesn't arrive by the time I go to visit my family for Christmas should I still theoretically be able to cross borders with the card alone? (the card would be in the 3 month expiration window). Weirdly worded, hopefully you guys get what I am asking.

5) The lawyers we previously worked with said that they didn't file previously with an online account number, so I don't have to provide one since we never used it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH to anyone who responded and has helped. It has taken such a load off my shoulders. Thank you SO much!

34 minutes ago, madj22 said:

Thank you so much to anyone who responded. You all made my life so much easier.

Remainder questions: 

1) So, I apply, and then I wait to see whether or not they ask me to do fingerprints or an interview or for more evidence?

2) When I read the explanation of the I-751 form the government provides they don't make it seem like the affidavits are optional. But you all are saying if you have enough evidence, you don't need them and they hold very little weight?

3) We might change addresses in the time while the application is being processed. Is this as easy as submitting a form? I am terribly afraid our mail would get mixed up. 

4) Can you travel within the 3 months prior to the expiration? I plan to apply in late Nov when the 3 month window to apply opens and then I want to go home for christmas. My conditional greencard expires in february. I am wondering if the letter with the extension doesn't arrive by the time I go to visit my family for Christmas should I still theoretically be able to cross borders with the card alone? (the card would be in the 3 month expiration window). Weirdly worded, hopefully you guys get what I am asking.

5) The lawyers we previously worked with said that they didn't file previously with an online account number, so I don't have to provide one since we never used it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH to anyone who responded and has helped. It has taken such a load off my shoulders. Thank you SO much!

Changing address is easy, but unfortunately many people still have their mail lost or mixed up or sent to the wrong address. 

Affidavits are definitely optional. Many people on here got approved without a single one. 

And yes, travel shouldn't be an issue. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you have an urgent need to travel with an expired CGC and you have accepted i751 application on file but don't have the extension letter you could get an appointment to get an i551 stamp in your passport. 

It can take up to 6 weeks or so to get your NOA extension letter after filing your i751 so plan accordingly  (pre covid it took maybe a week or two). 

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Hi all,

thanks again for all the help. Cannot state enough how much it means.

Do you think it woul dbe best to change addresses and get a month or two of bills with new address before applying or do you think it would be best to send in application with current address and then after I apply and recieve the NOA I then change my address?

Also, is the changing of address protocol any different for someone in the process of an ROC? It says to fill the AR-11 form out online. Is that the same whether or not you have an online account? I don't have an online account. 

-Meg

Hi all,

thanks again for all the help. Cannot state enough how much it means.

Do you think it woul dbe best to change addresses and get a month or two of bills with new address before applying or do you think it would be best to send in application with current address and then after I apply and recieve the NOA I then change my address?

Also, is the changing of address protocol any different for someone in the process of an ROC? It says to fill the AR-11 form out online. Is that the same whether or not you have an online account? I don't have an online account. 

-Meg

I don't know which is the best but after reading some horror stories on here, I'd avoid changing my address after submitting ROC if possible. Of course, it's always possible you have to move but if you can file after you've moved, it might be better. 

Changing the address is the same with all petitions. I changed my address during AOS and I personally had no problems. They had my new address at the USCIS office. Maybe you'll have the same experience. I don't know. 

Edited by Orangesapples

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.