Trackstar23

AOS based on legally invalid marriage to same person

20 posts in this topic

Fraud was committed to obtain immigration benefits.  It's possible to lose citizenship over this.  Chance of it happening is slim, but it's there. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

In practical terms, I cannot imagine USCIS going to the courts to denaturalize based on having used the "wrong" marriage. Yes it's wrong, and if they caught it sooner where the burden is on them as an applicant, I could see consequences. But to do so now in this case? I just can't see it happening.

Now if the marriage was to somebody else, then I could see it going very differently.

Only other issue would be if they made any other misrepresentations to immigration officials between the first marriage and the US-based marriage (like claiming to still be single on a visa application).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

13 hours ago, Trackstar23 said:

So if you just completely avoid any mention of what was considered a legal marriage abroad on any petition, do a wedding in the United States 3 months later and hide the marriage abroad so you can complete an adjustment of status in the United States without having to leave the country, then you are fine right?

Seems like a pretty big loophole to me, especially considering they were on an F1 Visa. I am just trying to get clarity. Not worried about tif they can or will be denaturalized.

It doesn't matter where you get married to do AOS except if you have a K1 visa. Then you have to get married in the US. We've seen a couple of married couples that have abandoned their consular processing because of Covid-19. Some of them might have planned to do so and the foreign partner came to stay ( fraud ) others decided spontaneously while the foreign partner was already here on vacation ( totally fine ).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 9/7/2020 at 10:59 PM, Trackstar23 said:

intentionally did not register the marriage with Indian Government.

Just curious why was this a big secret? Seems something more you are hiding. I mean why go all the way back to India to keep a secret then come here and marry again. I'm confused. Help me understand this.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

17 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Just curious why was this a big secret? Seems something more you are hiding. I mean why go all the way back to India to keep a secret then come here and marry again. I'm confused. Help me understand this.

TBH I don't know why, which is why I came here. It makes no sense to me. I did learn that there is more to it; the family's worked together and filled out petitions on behalf of the wife (was an arranged marriage). So yeah, this is going to get interesting lol.

It might be just because he was on a F1 Visa and wanted his family to be at the wedding (they live in India), but did not want to lose his status...? Just taking a guess. We submit a FOIA request, but looks like that data won't be here until November.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.