11 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, URMYE said:

Does my wife need a SSN in order to submit for AOS? No.   I am under the impression that she needs a SSN in order to get health insurance for AOS.   Also no.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband does not have a social security number and has been on my health insurance since march also there is a spot on the form to request a social security number so they will do that for you

On 9/3/2020 at 10:06 PM, URMYE said:

Does my wife need a SSN in order to submit for AOS?  I am under the impression that she needs a SSN in order to get health insurance for AOS.   

You do not need health insurance for AOS. It helps your case that you are not going to be a public liability but if you have the necessary funds to cover the costs of health issues than that is not the case. That said, you do not need a SSN for health insurance so I would recommend getting it. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, b911 said:

Actually you do need SSN to apply for health insurance. But when you tell them your situation about K1 Visa and pending SSN application / i-485, they will give you 3-6 months to provide them SSN

Screenshot-20201006-064234.jpg

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

I don’t have an SSN (through my own stupidity not realising you can apply for one while your K1 is valid), and I had to go through a health insurance agent for Covered California to get health insurance because I was really struggling to get a provider to help me without one. I was able to through Kaiser, although it is very expensive as even though it was a CC agent who helped me, you can’t get any discounts or assistance as an immigrant.
So you do not NEED an SSN to apply for AOS (and if you apply for the work authorisation there’s a section where you can request one) but you do kind of need health insurance in order to fill out the new form to prove you aren’t going to be a public liability. They also request a credit report but I just had to write a supplemental letter stating that none of the credit report companies would even send me a letter stating they can’t get a report for me without an SSN. We only managed to submit last week despite getting married in January because of how much difficulty we had with getting everything for this new form. Nightmare. 

1 hour ago, *Rachel* said:They also request a credit report but I just had to write a supplemental letter stating that none of the credit report companies would even send me a letter stating they can’t get a report for me without an SSN. We only managed to submit last week despite getting married in January because of how much difficulty we had with getting everything for this new form. Nightmare. 

You do not need a SSN to get a credit report / score. The only difference is you can not get one respite online, you have to submit your request by mail and send several documents. It takes much more time and stress. It is a nightmare, it is more difficult, I have been there and I Know, but in the end, you do not need a SSN for a credit report.  

13 hours ago, marianabrasil said:

You do not need a SSN to get a credit report / score. The only difference is you can not get one respite online, you have to submit your request by mail and send several documents. It takes much more time and stress. It is a nightmare, it is more difficult, I have been there and I Know, but in the end, you do not need a SSN for a credit report.  

Nah. TransUnion easily did one for me online and I did not have to send them anything.

2 minutes ago, Cilllah said:

Nah. TransUnion easily did one for me online and I did not have to send them anything.

Good to know!

I tried for several days and hours in the phone with TransUnion, could not get one online because did not have a SSN. But it is a good news that you could get one online, even without a SSN.

I guess new VJ's will ask you how you made it, so they can fill the form-944.

3 minutes ago, marianabrasil said:

Good to know!

I tried for several days and hours in the phone with TransUnion, could not get one online because did not have a SSN. But it is a good news that you could get one online, even without a SSN.

I guess new VJ's will ask you how you made it, so they can fill the form-944.

I spoke to them via Twitter and was able to get the letter easily for myself and my daughter.

I am used to that. I was one or maybe the only approved K1 visa in June and I had a lot of people message me about how I did it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.