steve-phuket

can i get an ITIN for my wife?

35 posts in this topic

i just found this https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7 but confused by ' For tax years 2018 through 2025, you can’t claim a personal exemption deduction for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents.'

does that mean even with a ITIN i cannot file married filing jointly? my only source of income is IRA withdrawals by the way

thx

Edited by steve-phuket

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can file a joint return......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You  can file for the ITIN and file jointly

IRS just did away with the personsal exemption for all of us and now has only the standard or Schedule A deducitons 

that has nothing to do with the ITIN and how you file

BTW the only time you can file the form for the ITIN is when you file a paper return tax return

Edited by JeanneAdil

17 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

You  can file for the ITIN and file jointly

IRS just did away with the personsal exemption for all of us and now has only the standard or Schedule A deducitons 

that has nothing to do with the ITIN and how you file

BTW the only time you can file the form for the ITIN is when you file a paper return tax return

so, can you clarify please. are you saying i can file married filing jointly and get the $24,800 standard deduction for 2020 even without a ITIN?

doesn't the 1099 require you to enter a SSN or ITIN for your spouse?

Edited by steve-phuket

Timeline
2 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

so, can you clarify please. are you saying i can file married filing jointly and get the $24,800 standard deduction for 2020 even without a ITIN?

doesn't the 1099 require you to enter a SSN or ITIN for your spouse?

file for the ITIN and get the number and file jointly

ITIN is needed 

i said we no longer have a $3250 personal deduction per person for each of us

only a standard deduction which will be the $24400 for both 

we use to have a standard deduciton and personal deducitons but they did away with the personal 

remember back in 2017 said how many in household (yours is 2) and take a personal deduction of $3250 for each and then take a standard deduction ?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

ok thanks, so is she eligible for a ITIN? we are married in Thailand, i'm a USC of course, she's never been to the US but we are filing I-130 soon. 

and i guess you are saying with the ITIN, i will be able to file jointly and get the $24800 deduction

Yes and i am also saying that the deduction is $24400 not $24800

18 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Yes and i am also saying that the deduction is $24400 not $24800

ok, thanks for your help, i think it is $24,800 for 2020 https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-provides-tax-inflation-adjustments-for-tax-year-2020

The standard deduction for married filing jointly rises to $24,800 for tax year 2020

Timeline
3 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

ok, thanks for your help, i think it is $24,800 for 2020 https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-provides-tax-inflation-adjustments-for-tax-year-2020

The standard deduction for married filing jointly rises to $24,800 for tax year 2020

that's 2020 

we are still in 2019 tax returns and i thought you are talking about current returns as many filed for extensions and are still processing them

can't do 2020 till next spring

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

no, i am asking for next year, anyhow thanks for your help

You will file for the ITIN at the same time you file for 2020 tax return next year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

my wife and I live in Thailand and we are starting the CR/IR-1 green card process soon. can i apply for a ITIN now so i can file married filing jointly next tax return?

thanks

• You may file jointly If you and the wife write and sign a statement electing for her to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. (see Publication 519) Otherwise a nonresident alien can not file a joint return. It’s her perk for being married to a US citizen.
  • You will report worldwide income yours and hers. Both could qualify for a Foreign Earn income exclusion. (Form 2555). Do you work for a US company or foreign? If foreign and you qualify to exclude your income, then your taxes could be zero. No need for a $24,800 exclusion. If you work for a US company, then the exclusion will help lower your taxable income.
  • You complete your paper return next spring. Include the statement electing for your spouse to be treated as a resident alien. She fills out the application for ITIN (Form W-7) Send all of that with her actual Thai passport to Austin, Texas.

Internal Revenue Service ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

or if using a courier service

Mail Stop 6090-AUSC
3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35 Austin, TX 78741-0000

They will process the ITIN first, then the tax return. Her passport will be returned. In lieu of sending her passport, you can inquire about getting her credentials certified by an acceptance agent in Thailand. See list https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-thailand

Edited by Wuozopo

9 hours ago, Ayrton said:

You will file for the ITIN at the same time you file for 2020 tax return next year.

can i not file for the ITIN now so i'm ready for next year? does it have an expiration date or something?

oh forget that, i just read Wuozopo's detailed explanation

Edited by steve-phuket

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:
  • You may file jointly If you and the wife write and sign a statement electing for her to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. (see Publication 519) Otherwise a nonresident alien can not file a joint return. It’s her perk for being married to a US citizen.
  • You will report worldwide income yours and hers. Both could qualify for a Foreign Earn income exclusion. (Form 2555). Do you work for a US company or foreign? If foreign and you qualify to exclude your income, then your taxes could be zero. No need for a $24,800 exclusion. If you work for a US company, then the exclusion will help lower your taxable income.
  • You complete your paper return next spring. Include the statement electing for your spouse to be treated as a resident alien. She fills out the application for ITIN (Form W-7) Send all of that with her actual Thai passport to Austin, Texas.

P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

or if using a courier service

Mail Stop 6090-AUSC
3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35 Austin, TX 78741-0000

They will process the ITIN first, then the tax return. Her passport will be returned. In lieu of sending her passport, you can inquire about getting her credentials certified by an acceptance agent in Thailand. See list https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-thailand

ok, thanks for the great detailed info. i'm retired with no income other than IRA withdrawal, and my wife is not working,  so no need to declare world wide income. i'll look into the passport credentials certified thing but i guess no big deal sending the original so long as we get it back in a timely manor

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.