steve-phuket

can i get an ITIN for my wife?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

ok, thanks for the great detailed info. i'm retired with no income other than IRA withdrawal, and my wife is not working,  so no need to declare world wide income. i'll look into the passport credentials certified thing but i guess no big deal sending the original so long as we get it back in a timely manor

If your income (IRA withdrawal, interest, dividends) exceeds $24,800 then it is an advantage to file jointly and get the extra $12,400 for the wife, albeit a hassle. Not so much hassle as some others since your wife is with you to sign things and you’re not mailing back and forth to get her signature on the return, statement, and W7. 

7 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

If your income (IRA withdrawal, interest, dividends) exceeds $24,800 then it is an advantage to file jointly and get the extra $12,400 for the wife, albeit a hassle. Not so much hassle as some others since your wife is with you to sign things and you’re not mailing back and forth to get her signature on the return, statement, and W7. 

i can withdraw what ever i want from my IRA (i'm over 60) but i'm trying to get the maximum out i can without incurring a big tax penalty. i want to buy a house cash in 2 years when my wife hopefully gets a green card, so i'm moving money from IRA to regular account for 2020, 21 and 22 when we will buy the house. 

is $24,800 the max we can take out with a tax hit or can you think of a way to increase that?

also, i'm 62 next year will elect to start taking SS.

thanks

Timeline
12 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

i can withdraw what ever i want from my IRA (i'm over 60) but i'm trying to get the maximum out i can without incurring a big tax penalty. i want to buy a house cash in 2 years when my wife hopefully gets a green card, so i'm moving money from IRA to regular account for 2020, 21 and 22 when we will buy the house. 

is $24,800 the max we can take out with a tax hit or can you think of a way to increase that?

also, i'm 62 next year will elect to start taking SS.

thanks

What I was getting at was if you were withdrawing  a small amount a year and living in Thailand off other savings the extra deduction might not be worth the hassle. Sounds like you are removing big chunks from the IRA and need that extra deduction.
Example if only a small income—

$12,000 total income 

- 24,800 standard deduction Joint filing

$0 taxable income because you can’t go below zero

or

$12,000 total income 

- 12,400 standard deduction Married Filing Separately

$0 taxable income because you can‘t go below zero

• 6 months later...
38 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

Hi, does anyone know if we can submit an ITIN application with an old, expired passport? we don't want to sent the current active one because we are traveling soon.

Thanks, Steve

Have you looked into using an IRS Acceptance Agent?  That avoids sending the passport.  I doubt that they would accept an expired document of any kind.  I used the IRS Acceptance agent here in Angeles City and they are also very knowledgeable about the whole process.

You also have plenty of time to file.  You can postpone filing as far as Oct. 15th if you file for an extension.  June 15 is the normal deadline for USC living overseas.

FYI, I am very similar to you.  My income is IRA withdrawals and SS.  And my wife has an ITIN and we file jointly.  And, I have 2 USC kids I get child tax credit for.  I am able to manage my income so I owe just enough tax to get the full child tax credits and then I try to owe less than $100.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

ok, thanks, I didn't realize I had until June 15 to file. although we are planning to go to the US in mid April anyhow so then I'll not get the automatic June 15th thing I guess?

Still I guess I can just apply for an extension and get the ITIN in the US for my wife.

I was hoping to file my taxes today on line so I can register new US address for stimulus check, but I guess that isn't happening, so will have to call the IRS tonight and try change my address on the phone

50 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

How long does it take for an agent to get the ITIN? do they not need the passport? thx

Basically, it works like this.  Contact an agent for more local details before starting anything.

1.  Prepare and print your joint tax return and write in your wife's legal name that you expect to use permanently for U.S. tax purposes.  It should match her passport and other IDs she uses for this purpose, and what will be put on the W7.  My wife's passport was still in her maiden name and that has caused us some hassle in the long run, but we had to go with it at the time.  Avoid that.

2.  Make an appointment with the agent.  Bring them your tax return, your wife, and IDs for both of you.  And anything else they tell you to bring.

3.  The agent does not get the ITIN.  The acceptance agent acts as a certified agent of the IRS to verify all your original documents, like the passport, and then you don't have to mail those original documents.  The agent then mails your tax return with the W7 attached to the IRS.

4.  The IRS issues the ITIN as part of processing your tax return.  The IRS will send you a letter with the ITIN info and they will put the new ITIN on your tax return.  Then you are good for 2020!

There are some fees to pay, but well worth the peace of mind.  Nobody likes mailing their passport.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/itin-updated-procedures-frequently-asked-questions

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program

Edited by seekingthetruth

Spouse

Stepdaughter

8 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

ok thx, we'll be in the US before end of april anyhow so i think easier to take care of it when i get there

as for the stimulus check, i just hope it finds its way to my son's new address in US

If your travel is to the U.S. and with your wife then, yes, it should be a piece of cake.  The agents are all over in the U.S. so plan a visit to one.  Make sure you arrange it ahead of time.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

• 1 month later...

hi, sorry to bring this old thread up again but I'm in the US now and my wife will be here in a few days and i need to file my tax ASAP as married filing jointly so need to get her an ITIN

maybe i'll go to the IRS office in Durham, NC. of course thee is no help on the phone so what should i take, beside both our passports, my SS card, my NC driving license and a certified translation of our Thai marriage certificate. anything else?

thx

34 minutes ago, steve-phuket said:

hi, sorry to bring this old thread up again but I'm in the US now and my wife will be here in a few days and i need to file my tax ASAP as married filing jointly so need to get her an ITIN

maybe i'll go to the IRS office in Durham, NC. of course thee is no help on the phone so what should i take, beside both our passports, my SS card, my NC driving license and a certified translation of our Thai marriage certificate. anything else?

thx

As I understand it, you need to make an appointment.  Make sure they know you are coming for ITIN.

Although I have not done it at an IRS office, I think it works like this.

1.  Complete your tax return with your wife as the spouse.  Leave the social security number blank for her.  Print it.  You have to file a manual return.  E-file not allowed.  Not sure about this, but don't sign it yet.  That is just in case they want you to sign it in front of them.  Both of you will sign.

2.  Complete the W7 form for her.

3.  Bring her passport.  Bring the other things too, just in case.

4.  They will check and accept all the documents from you, then mail the tax return and W7 to Austin Texas ITIN center.

5.  The ITIN center will assign her an ITIN and put it on the tax return before processing the return.

6.  She will get a letter later with her ITIN on it.

You can still use an acceptance agent too.  They will probably be very helpful but might be expensive.  You could call around.  If the IRS office is far away and the acceptance agent is close, it might be worth it.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-north-carolina

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Timeline
3 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

thx

2 hours ago, steve-phuket said:

trying to make an appointment but when i call the appointment number it just says they are too busy and hangs up, your tax dollars at work!

You need a Taxpayer Assistance Center that will verify her ID document (passport) in person at your appointment. She must be present with you. Then she does not have to send her passport off. A verified copy will be sent along with the tax return and her W7 application for ITIN. They don’t do that in Durham according to the IRS list. 

Get an appointment from one of the offices listed here https://www.irs.gov/help/tac-locations-where-in-person-document-verification-is-provided

Edited by Wuozopo

On 8/19/2020 at 7:52 PM, steve-phuket said:

my wife and I live in Thailand and we are starting the CR/IR-1 green card process soon. can i apply for a ITIN now so i can file married filing jointly next tax return?

thanks

Just fill out a W-7 and attach it to your joint return, leaving the space for her ITIN blank. We did this last year and just got my wife's ITIN this week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.