hollygolightly77

These new fees are so unfair !!

145 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess I am not complaining about the fee increases but I am irked. If USCIS had at least processed our file in a reasonable amount of time or even stalled working on it for 3 weeks longer, then we wouldn't be faced with a change of the rules nearing the end of the game by doubling the last phase - a phase over which we have no options if we wish to continue to live as husband and wife in the US.

It took two years less 3 weeks to process my AOS application - including 2 renewals of AP and EAD; prior to that it took 9 months to process my K-1 - heck, we were affected by the prior fee increase at the start of our visa journey. Now, even though I have been here since May, 2004 and did everything at my end in a timely way and have had no RFEs or anything along the way, we can't apply for removal of conditions until next February. That one application - the end of the process that started in June 2003 - will cost more than any other single fee in this whole process. So, yes, I am irked because I should have been through this process a long time before the second fee increases since I started took effect.

And do I think that they will improve their service and processing times with the new fee increases? Hah! Not on your life. We will all just be paying more for the same sucky service.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
edited to put in PM

Thank you. Let's keep this thread on topic now, I have humidity hair at the moment, don't need " mod hat hair" aswell!

np :) and i know what you mean, the humidity is killing my hair today :)

:ot:

LMAO :lol::lol:

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

The problem is they can't punish the illegals... because the illegals don't follow rules they make.

My friends laugh at how much work we are doing to do things legally. They suggest a plane ticket to mexico and a drive across the border is easier, cheaper and quicker. The sad thing is they are right.

yeah.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Okay, I read through this thread from beginning to end and I see only 2 perspectives. those that are against the increase or feel it is unfair and those that disagree with this viewpoint.

It seems for the most part that those who feel the fees are unfair are those who are going through or starting the process and those who disagree are the ones who have been through it. I can undrestand both sides. I am in the middle if the K1 process and will have to fork over a small fortune for AOS and other fees as I go along. Yes, it is absolutely worth it. Fair? It sucks but I would not describe it as unfair. I think we are getting lied to as to the reason for the increase. I think the "just because" approach comes closer to the truth. I don't see the wheels of the visa process speeding up any time soon.

I don't blame the illegals for the shortcomings of our government to police/enforce their own laws. Illegals want a better life too. Our government tends to turn a blind eye to those they cannot control and nail to the wall those that abide by the laws. Old saying, "better to ask forgiveness than permission".

I would like to see more respect given to those who do spend the time and money to do this the proper way. More like a hearty handshake and "Welcome to America" speech when you arrive @POE. Who am I kidding!

Either way, it is what it is. Complaining will do no good. If you don't like it, VOTE!!! If the cost is not worth it, then you are going down the wrong path anyway. Don't blame the illegals, they did not vote for our government. They just take advantage of the situation. If you were in their place you probably would do the same thing.

Just one man's opinion... :jest:

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Life is unfair aint it lol just suck it up and go along for the ride lol. :jest:

Edited by eric&gen

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Okay, I read through this thread from beginning to end and I see only 2 perspectives. those that are against the increase or feel it is unfair and those that disagree with this viewpoint.

It seems for the most part that those who feel the fees are unfair are those who are going through or starting the process and those who disagree are the ones who have been through it. I can undrestand both sides. I am in the middle if the K1 process and will have to fork over a small fortune for AOS and other fees as I go along. Yes, it is absolutely worth it. Fair? It sucks but I would not describe it as unfair. I think we are getting lied to as to the reason for the increase. I think the "just because" approach comes closer to the truth. I don't see the wheels of the visa process speeding up any time soon.

I don't blame the illegals for the shortcomings of our government to police/enforce their own laws. Illegals want a better life too. Our government tends to turn a blind eye to those they cannot control and nail to the wall those that abide by the laws. Old saying, "better to ask forgiveness than permission".

I would like to see more respect given to those who do spend the time and money to do this the proper way. More like a hearty handshake and "Welcome to America" speech when you arrive @POE. Who am I kidding!

Either way, it is what it is. Complaining will do no good. If you don't like it, VOTE!!! If the cost is not worth it, then you are going down the wrong path anyway. Don't blame the illegals, they did not vote for our government. They just take advantage of the situation. If you were in their place you probably would do the same thing.

Just one man's opinion... :jest:

Thank you ...finally someone understood my point ....jeez

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
The USCIS is a self funding agency, which means that they get no money from the Budget.

Really? I didn't know that. Why is that?

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

UnfairAdj. un·fair·er, un·fair·est

1. Not just or evenhanded; biased: an unfair call by an umpire.

2. Contrary to laws or conventions, especially in commerce; unethical: unfair trading.

According to the dictionary definition above I would suggest using the second definition it might be argued that the fee increase (66%+) is contrary to convention (prices don't usually rise by that amount without a "guaranteed" improvement in the product!)

Using the first definition then the increase would appear totally fair its across the board and effects everyone so pretty even handed.

I have no objection to the process being wholly self funding (why should the tax payer fund our desires that have no effect on the general populous/only effect us) what I find questionable is just how broken/mismanaged was it before that it requires this level of "overnight" rate hike - it might have been a little more "reasonable" to have given those going through the process a little more warning (for budgeting purposes) of the increase but unfair? No.

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't get this argument that if you have a hard time with the fee increases, then you have no business sponsoring your spouse/fiance. What kid of elitist argument is that? What if the fees doubled? tripled? Would that argument still hold water?

I am not saying if the new fees are fair or not fair but I am saying it is expensive. Especially for someone like me that has everything X2. I can't imagine what someone would do if they had 2 or 3 children coming with their SO. That would really suck. I am glad I was able to get Luz and Robins AOS in before the fees went up. I will have the higher fees in 2 years for the Removal of Conditions. It's all worth it to have my family with me. Nothing is more important than that.

It's unfair that illegal immigrants are looking at being admitted to the US "just because" and we still have to fork over thousands of dollars for the privilege.

It's unfair that most of us are better educated, more productive members of society than many Americans and yet we're treated like common criminals by immigration officers every time we try to re-enter the US. I was held in San Juan airport for two hours "just because" an immigration officer felt like it. It took my father, who has an O1 visa (person of outstanding ability) to yell at the official before he realised that he'd better let me go if he wanted to keep his job.

The entire process is convoluted and unfair.

I'm tired of being treated like a criminal and I'm tired of seeing well-meaning immigrants usurped by illegals who somehow believe that it's their *right* just to walk on in. It's not a right; it's a privilege. But it's a privilege whose process being abused for financial and political gains.

You have made some great points. I have always said that illegal immigrants are now unfairly taking the spotlight from every other legitimate immigrant. The reality is that once they are granted amnesty our fees will go up again and the delays will probably triple as they try to process these guys.

I feel your pain but at the same time there is a reason for them being strict on legitimate visas as well. Fraud is a huge problem. I am sure there are people in this forum who are knowingly or unknowingly part of immigration fraud. Most countries I have visited have the 'what the ###### are you doing here..' attitude anyway. Especially in times when there are groups who want to harm and kill the citizens of a nation.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

If you compare the new fees with countries like the UK or Australia, you will find the fees to be about the same or less than those countries. Of course each country has its own process and procedures, but you can kinda of tell what the overall cost is.

UK fees: http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/2139...m2april2007.pdf

Australia: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/partner.htm

Canada looks to be a bit cheaper: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

Yes well said. I have friends who have gone through this overseas.

The scrutiny is also 5 fold of that here.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I don't get this argument that if you have a hard time with the fee increases, then you have no business sponsoring your spouse/fiance. What kid of elitist argument is that? What if the fees doubled? tripled? Would that argument still hold water?

Not sure who you addressed your post to but if was me what I said was "If the cost is not worth it, then you are going down the wrong path anyway". That is much different than saying if you can't afford it you don't deserve it. Nothing elitist about my remark. It is all in what your happiness/future is worth to you. Your journey should not be about money, it is about love. As I said, I don't like it either but I will somehow deal with the increase because she is absolutely worth every penny. I am not a rich man. I do OK and that is about it. This increase is a major blow to my plans but somehow I will make it work, I have to. I don't have to like it, I just have to do it. Sort of like the price of gas. I don't like it but to get to work, I have to pay.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Well...I was under the impression the fees had been raised in part to speed the process up? I do appreciate it is a considerable "hike up" though from the previous fees .....Good luck with your journey though

Well, according to a memo published by USCIS they have committed to a 20% increase in processing times by the end of 2009. So, obviously well-worth it for those of us paying the higher fees now.

We lucked out. We beat the fare increase by 30 days for our I-751.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG