Jump to content
Allovertheworld

What are laid off workers in Philippine doing last few months

21 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So all these people who used to work at clubs or entertainment venues and have been closed by some type of governmental decree since March.

 

What are they doing to survive and get by the last 5 months?   

 

Are they getting some type of money from the government for not being able to work?  Food supplements from the government?

 

My understanding in Philippines only the very poor ever get any government assistance over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

So all these people who used to work at clubs or entertainment venues and have been closed by some type of governmental decree since March.

 

What are they doing to survive and get by the last 5 months?   

 

Are they getting some type of money from the government for not being able to work?  Food supplements from the government?

 

My understanding in Philippines only the very poor ever get any government assistance over there.

In my wife area they were giving some assistance in the first few months but it seems to have really fallen off. The interviewers came and asked:

Do you have a TV?

Do you have a computer?

Do you have air con?

Several other questions, but that was the type of questioning. So yeah, she didn't qualify.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

In my wife area they were giving some assistance in the first few months but it seems to have really fallen off. The interviewers came and asked:

Do you have a TV?

Do you have a computer?

Do you have air con?

Several other questions, but that was the type of questioning. So yeah, she didn't qualify.

Yep. In my wife's area what little aid that they were giving is long gone. Some of my wife's friends have been out of work for some time. The have begun pawning their possessions. They are not "entertainment" workers.

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@Allovertheworld

 

Starving?? Who knows. 

 

My fiancée has two kids and up until a month ago was living with her parents, two siblings both of who are adults and a nephew. So there were 7 people in a small shack. 

 

I think my fiancée received 100 dollars. Don't think anyone else got anything. She had to wait in line outside in the heat for ten hours before she got her money. Of course, it didn't last long because she used it to pay for groceries for everyone and bills. Electricity is twice what it is in the US.. It's very expensive. 

Edited by Solaris81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, boris64 said:

Yep. In my wife's area what little aid that they were giving is long gone. Some of my wife's friends have been out of work for some time. The have begun pawning their possessions. They are not "entertainment" workers.

See that is what I am afraid of over there, People having to pawn possession for basic needs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The government gave $160 to certain people and a bag of food. They expected it to last families for 5 months. That didn't happen. Yes, people have been selling stuff or moving in with relatives to save on rent. Also, they cook food and sell it, deliver things for people and charge a fee, sew fabric together for face masks, or teach English online to other Asian countries. The Filipinos are a scrappy bunch.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RO_AH said:

In my wife area they were giving some assistance in the first few months but it seems to have really fallen off. The interviewers came and asked:

Do you have a TV?

Do you have a computer?

Do you have air con?

Several other questions, but that was the type of questioning. So yeah, she didn't qualify.

My MIL didn’t qualify as she has daughter in the US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, user555 said:

The government gave $160 to certain people and a bag of food. They expected it to last families for 5 months. That didn't happen. Yes, people have been selling stuff or moving in with relatives to save on rent. Also, they cook food and sell it, deliver things for people and charge a fee, sew fabric together for face masks, or teach English online to other Asian countries. The Filipinos are a scrappy bunch.   

Some areas some people received 3 kilos of rice and some canned tuna, and this was way back when this stuff started

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jskibo said:

My MIL didn’t qualify as she has daughter in the US

My wife sister is disabled both mental and physically.

 

They didn't qualify per the Barangay Captain "Because they have a nice gate on their home" and her sister my wife is in America.

 

So funny how they think we have a trees in the backyards that grow hundred dollars bills in America.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, user555 said:

The government gave $160 to certain people and a bag of food. They expected it to last families for 5 months. That didn't happen. Yes, people have been selling stuff or moving in with relatives to save on rent. Also, they cook food and sell it, deliver things for people and charge a fee, sew fabric together for face masks, or teach English online to other Asian countries. The Filipinos are a scrappy bunch.   

 

7 hours ago, jskibo said:

My MIL didn’t qualify as she has daughter in the US

The same thing happened to my in-laws as well. My SIL was denied because she has a asawa that is working in Dubai(even though he isn't working right now), my MIL and BIL were told that they couldn't get any aid because they had my wife living here in the USA. It is a big CF right now with no end in sight

On 8/4/2020 at 5:52 AM, Allovertheworld said:

So all these people who used to work at clubs or entertainment venues and have been closed by some type of governmental decree since March.

 

What are they doing to survive and get by the last 5 months?   

 

Are they getting some type of money from the government for not being able to work?  Food supplements from the government?

 

My understanding in Philippines only the very poor ever get any government assistance over there.

They are having babies...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Lots of jerjer going on right now.

 

No doubt there will be alot more kids without fathers in the Philippines born the next few months upcoming.

Aljazeera actually had a pretty decent article about it last month. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/philippines-faces-baby-boom-lockdown-hits-family-planning-200714063035071.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Solaris81 said:

Electricity is twice what it is in the US.. It's very expensive. 

You obviously don't live in Hawaii 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, RO_AH said:

You obviously don't live in Hawaii 🤣

Filipinos can sometimes get by with relatively Low electric bills in our minds but electricity can easily take 20-30% of a monthly salary.  I’ve seen others with very tiny electric bills but they are only running one light and a fan each month as well. 
 

we would do the departure services for expats when leaving the country and this would involve assisting with last month utility bills. It was extremely common For these expats to have electric bills in the $500 to $3800 a month range with the average around $1700 a month or so. 
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...