Allovertheworld

What are laid off workers in Philippine doing last few months

21 posts in this topic

So all these people who used to work at clubs or entertainment venues and have been closed by some type of governmental decree since March.

What are they doing to survive and get by the last 5 months?   

Are they getting some type of money from the government for not being able to work?  Food supplements from the government?

My understanding in Philippines only the very poor ever get any government assistance over there.

10 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

So all these people who used to work at clubs or entertainment venues and have been closed by some type of governmental decree since March.

Are they getting some type of money from the government for not being able to work?  Food supplements from the government?

My understanding in Philippines only the very poor ever get any government assistance over there.

In my wife area they were giving some assistance in the first few months but it seems to have really fallen off. The interviewers came and asked:

Do you have a TV?

Do you have a computer?

Do you have air con?

Several other questions, but that was the type of questioning. So yeah, she didn't qualify.

1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

In my wife area they were giving some assistance in the first few months but it seems to have really fallen off. The interviewers came and asked:

Do you have a TV?

Do you have a computer?

Do you have air con?

Several other questions, but that was the type of questioning. So yeah, she didn't qualify.

Yep. In my wife's area what little aid that they were giving is long gone. Some of my wife's friends have been out of work for some time. The have begun pawning their possessions. They are not "entertainment" workers.

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

@Allovertheworld

Starving?? Who knows. 

My fiancée has two kids and up until a month ago was living with her parents, two siblings both of who are adults and a nephew. So there were 7 people in a small shack. 

I think my fiancée received 100 dollars. Don't think anyone else got anything. She had to wait in line outside in the heat for ten hours before she got her money. Of course, it didn't last long because she used it to pay for groceries for everyone and bills. Electricity is twice what it is in the US.. It's very expensive. 

Edited by Solaris81

7 hours ago, boris64 said:

Yep. In my wife's area what little aid that they were giving is long gone. Some of my wife's friends have been out of work for some time. The have begun pawning their possessions. They are not "entertainment" workers.

See that is what I am afraid of over there, People having to pawn possession for basic needs.  

The government gave $160 to certain people and a bag of food. They expected it to last families for 5 months. That didn't happen. Yes, people have been selling stuff or moving in with relatives to save on rent. Also, they cook food and sell it, deliver things for people and charge a fee, sew fabric together for face masks, or teach English online to other Asian countries. The Filipinos are a scrappy bunch.   

13 hours ago, RO_AH said:

Do you have a TV?

Do you have a computer?

Do you have air con?

My MIL didn’t qualify as she has daughter in the US

2 hours ago, user555 said:

The government gave $160 to certain people and a bag of food. They expected it to last families for 5 months. That didn't happen. Yes, people have been selling stuff or moving in with relatives to save on rent. Also, they cook food and sell it, deliver things for people and charge a fee, sew fabric together for face masks, or teach English online to other Asian countries. The Filipinos are a scrappy bunch.   

Some areas some people received 3 kilos of rice and some canned tuna, and this was way back when this stuff started

1 hour ago, jskibo said:

My wife sister is disabled both mental and physically.

They didn't qualify per the Barangay Captain "Because they have a nice gate on their home" and her sister my wife is in America.

So funny how they think we have a trees in the backyards that grow hundred dollars bills in America.........

8 hours ago, user555 said:

7 hours ago, jskibo said:

The same thing happened to my in-laws as well. My SIL was denied because she has a asawa that is working in Dubai(even though he isn't working right now), my MIL and BIL were told that they couldn't get any aid because they had my wife living here in the USA. It is a big CF right now with no end in sight

On 8/4/2020 at 5:52 AM, Allovertheworld said:

They are having babies...

29 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Lots of jerjer going on right now.

No doubt there will be alot more kids without fathers in the Philippines born the next few months upcoming.

Aljazeera actually had a pretty decent article about it last month. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/philippines-faces-baby-boom-lockdown-hits-family-planning-200714063035071.html

21 hours ago, Solaris81 said:

Electricity is twice what it is in the US.. It's very expensive. 

You obviously don't live in Hawaii 🤣

2 hours ago, RO_AH said:

You obviously don't live in Hawaii 🤣

Filipinos can sometimes get by with relatively Low electric bills in our minds but electricity can easily take 20-30% of a monthly salary.  I’ve seen others with very tiny electric bills but they are only running one light and a fan each month as well. 

we would do the departure services for expats when leaving the country and this would involve assisting with last month utility bills. It was extremely common For these expats to have electric bills in the $500 to $3800 a month range with the average around $1700 a month or so. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.