Allovertheworld

Fourth day of record-high single-day influx of COVID cases, Phl total breaches 100,000

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

What gives? This country has been on extreme lockdown for many months and the Rona is still climbing.

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/08/02/2032419/fourth-day-record-high-single-day-influx-covid-cases-phl-total-breaches-100000

It's because of the lack of social distancing in all areas. I am sure since you have been there before, personal space is not a thing that is practiced. 

1 hour ago, AlaMike said:

It's because of the lack of social distancing in all areas. I am sure since you have been there before, personal space is not a thing that is practiced. 

Personal Space is one of my pet peeves in the Philippines, You fall in line like for MacDonalds and the next person is so close to your back you can feel them breathing on you.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

Personal Space is one of my pet peeves in the Philippines, You fall in line like for MacDonalds and the next person is so close to your back you can feel them breathing on you.

lol, I have an easy fix for this, when it happens to me I just play aloof like I am distracted or start looking at my phone and then just randomly back up right into them repeatedly like full on as if there is no one standing there until they get the message surprisingly some take up to 3-4 times to move, the same for people who want to stand right next to me practically touching me. It is hilarious because they never say anything, even if you damn near knocking them to the ground lol the same thing with people who want to walk in front of me in line, I just walk straight into them and then keep going, just bulldozing them either forward or out of the way, again it is insanely funny to watch their reactions like they act indignant but just go back to behaving themselves instead of escalating.

About the "Virus" it's not about social distancing, masks, no masks, protocols, EO's, lock downs, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., Every country reports having it, in almost every area of every country, it's just like anything else it makes it's rounds it has and will continue to no matter what. The only numbers any one sees is the reported ones i.e. tested that is only a small sample it is sure that there are many, many more who have it or who have had it especially considering the symptoms are mild to non-existent for the mass majority of healthy individuals. However, all we are blasted in the face with at every turn is the Most Severe outcomes of it and as well as the people who want to talk about their experience with it are only ones who had the most severe outcome (all the rest with something mild to nothing at all are not going around reporting that, telling everyone about their experience, etc.) and then it is touted as that is the majority of people will most likely experience the worst examples of any illness. Just like the flu some people have gut wrenching miserable and sometimes even life threatening experiences though we all already know and are familiar that while it is never a pleasant experience, Not everyone has the MOST SEVERE experience or symptoms of it. 

Though I think it's really funny how how every single country has reported having major numbers in almost all area's and yet the countries restrict travel between each country as if they think that one country is going to bring their "covid" to another country and somehow it's going to be worse lol lol lol it's like have a family in the same house where the dad and 3 children have the flu and each of the 4 with the flu are quarantines in separate rooms locked away so as not to "spread the flu to each other" lol lol lol epic lol

and by the by, the common cold (yes, the same common cold that has been around and effecting people for eons) and many other forms of sickness are also commonly cause by strains of "covid" and the tests do not differentiate between strains of covid ;) 

"An antibody test does not detect the presence the SARS-CoV-2 virus and may generate false positive results (for example, if antibodies to another coronavirus type are detected)"

"Molecular and antigen tests can detect if you have an active coronavirus infection (Though Not specifically the SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19 virus)"

100,000 more years of LOCKDOWN and HYSTERIA Ya'll, let the FUN begin lol

Edited by Cody&Razely

4 hours ago, Cody&Razely said:

lol, I have an easy fix for this, when it happens to me I just play aloof like I am distracted or start looking at my phone and then just randomly back up right into them repeatedly like full on as if there is no one standing there until they get the message surprisingly some take up to 3-4 times to move, the same for people who want to stand right next to me practically touching me. It is hilarious because they never say anything, even if you damn near knocking them to the ground lol the same thing with people who want to walk in front of me in line, I just walk straight into them and then keep going, just bulldozing them either forward or out of the way, again it is insanely funny to watch their reactions like they act indignant but just go back to behaving themselves instead of escalating.

What up with people always trying to cut in front of you?  I guess the Philippines way is too keep your mouth shut and accept it.  Not me I call them out, and tell then what a Piece of work they are by trying to cut in front of others who are waiting.  I remind them if they came to the USA as a tourist, no one would do that to them.

If you guys are referencing that John Hopkins site, its useless.  Even the medical professionals in the US dont use it.  I was referencing it in a meeting a few weeks ago with some doctors in attendance and they told me they dont use any of that data.  Its way under-reported, the numbers dont come in consistently so you have huge dropoffs in some days of reporting and large increases where it just doesnt make any sense.  From the doctors that I deal with, and for countries that test alot, you can probably multiply the confirmed case number by 10.  For countries that do little testing, they estimated multiplying the number by 26.  Obviously these are just assumptions which makes that whole site useless.  However, there is no better way out there to really know whats going on. 

I can tell you in the health system that Im in which includes 40 hospitals and quite a few international locations, only 2% of the COVID beds in the US were being used and 6% of the ventilators.  One of our hospitals in Italy had 0 COVID patients, although this is a private hospital and most Italians may have gone to public hospitals.  No matter what anyone says, the virus is real, not fake, but its just too difficult to keep track.  In the US, you also now have states manipulating numbers and not reporting everything.   

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Timeline
3 hours ago, Allovertheworld said:

What up with people always trying to cut in front of you?  I guess the Philippines way is too keep your mouth shut and accept it.  Not me I call them out, and tell then what a Piece of work they are by trying to cut in front of others who are waiting.  I remind them if they came to the USA as a tourist, no one would do that to them.

that is their customs and ways,  if we can't accept that, then we don't need to be there. it is not up to us to change the world to our likings.  When foreigners travel to other countries, we need to learn and accept their way of life. It is the same scenario if someone from another state moves into your neighborhood and tries to get you to live the way they lived in their old state, they get blackballed quickly. Every time I vacation in the Philippines, I see things I don't like, but I just accept it and go with it because it is not my place to change them........

11 minutes ago, RUJEN said:

that is their customs and ways,  if we can't accept that, then we don't need to be there. it is not up to us to change the world to our likings.  When foreigners travel to other countries, we need to learn and accept their way of life. It is the same scenario if someone from another state moves into your neighborhood and tries to get you to live the way they lived in their old state, they get blackballed quickly. Every time I vacation in the Philippines, I see things I don't like, but I just accept it and go with it because it is not my place to change them........

Not me, I get all over them, If they don't like it oh well.  If it happens to be a female I tell them to go get their son or husband and  I will handle it with him.

No sir, I don't accept people trying to rip me off and over charge me,  I don't accept people cutting in line in front of me, I don't accept money changers trying to rip me off and short me.  

If you let them push you over then all you are doing is letting them think all foreigners are stupid and dumb and easily manipulated.  The buck stops with me.

My nephew is even worse over there, he goes insane.  Last trip there we were at outdoor restaurant/bar and mind you he doesn't drink, but I drink alot.  Some guy was smoking and blowing smoke in his face, he was about to do a beat down on him, the guy looked like a small child compared to him,  I was thinking here I am drinking and now I have to get up and fight, luckily cooler heads prevailed.

Same trip we pull his tuk tuk up to a gas pump to fill up, a car tries to cut in front of us to get gas.  He get into a pretty heated argument and he was in the right the guy goes to the back of his multicab/ truck and to grab a jack to fight with, I was about to lay him out, if he had grabbed it.

A few years ago in late one night in Davao City, he was walking to his hotel and a guy kept following him, he warned him to stop it, he knocked him upside the head and left him unconisous on the street.  

You make enough trips to the Philippines and spend some extended time there, and your eyes will open up as well.  

Edited by Allovertheworld

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Not me, I get all over them, If they don't like it oh well.  If it happens to be a female I tell them to go get their son or husband and  I will handle it with him.

No sir, I don't accept people trying to rip me off and over charge me,  I don't accept people cutting in line in front of me, I don't accept money changers trying to rip me off and short me.  

If you let them push you over then all you are doing is letting them think all foreigners are stupid and dumb and easily manipulated.  The buck stops with me.

My nephew is even worse over there, he goes insane.  Last trip there we were at outdoor restaurant/bar and mind you he doesn't drink, but I drink alot.  Some guy was smoking and blowing smoke in his face, he was about to do a beat down on him, the guy looked like a small child compared to him,  I was thinking here I am drinking and now I have to get up and fight, luckily cooler heads prevailed.

Same trip we pull his tuk tuk up to a gas pump to fill up, a car tries to cut in front of us to get gas.  He get into a pretty heated argument and he was in the right the guy goes to the back of his multicab/ truck and to grab a jack to fight with, I was about to lay him out, if he had grabbed it.

A few years ago in late one night in Davao City, he was walking to his hotel and a guy kept following him, he warned him to stop it, he knocked him upside the head and left him unconisous on the street.  

You make enough trips to the Philippines and spend some extended time there, and your eyes will open up as well.  

Not sure what you consider spending time there, I go every year for 6-8 weeks and have done so for 10 years now. Thanks to COVID, this year looks iffy..... out of curiosity, given the same scenario, if a man from a foreign country visits your town, and has different customs than yours, it is ok for him to push his customs on you??

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

More than that also, if you are in a crowded place and you allow them to push you out of the way or cut in line, etc... more will see that and think you are spinless and will follow suit, you may end up spending all day trying to get something done. I see no reason to allow people to push you around. The same goes for getting overcharged, ripped off, scammed, etc... if someone has the mentality that they enjoy that and are willing to do it continually for indefinite periods of time AND they have the finances to just throw away, sure to each his own. Though for most human beings on the planet no matter where you are from or currently at (either in your own country or anothers), it is not something most people are willing to allow. Though yes some do. I am one who does not also.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, RUJEN said:

Not sure what you consider spending time there, I go every year for 6-8 weeks and have done so for 10 years now. Thanks to COVID, this year looks iffy..... out of curiosity, given the same scenario, if a man from a foreign country visits your town, and has different customs than yours, it is ok for him to push his customs on you??

Is it a "custom" to scam, rip others off, push people, cut in line, etc...? These are not "Customs" there are character flaws (with the notable exception of standing so close to someone you might as well be trying to make love to them lol, that's just societal in some places) However, NONE of these thing need to be or should be allowed, if the other person does not want to allow it. 

Saying that people should be allowed to do what ever they want to you and are accustomed to doing to others while in their country no matter the action is a we bit far fetched and calling them "customs" is really stretching it. 

51 minutes ago, Cody&Razely said:

Is it a "custom" to scam, rip others off, push people, cut in line, etc...? These are not "Customs" there are character flaws (with the notable exception of standing so close to someone you might as well be trying to make love to them lol, that's just societal in some places) However, NONE of these thing need to be or should be allowed, if the other person does not want to allow it. 

Saying that people should be allowed to do what ever they want to you and are accustomed to doing to others while in their country no matter the action is a we bit far fetched and calling them "customs" is really stretching it. 

When I started working there, I was told to be an a$$hole with my team, but in a controlled way.  Controlled meaning, dont humiliate them, dont embarrass, dont put people down, but be strict, firm and dont give an inch, and if there is a mess up, you tell them about it.  This was told to me by foreign and local management and it seemed to work.  If your a push over, you will lose the respect of the team.  The saying that is heard in almost all office environments is if the cat is away the mice will play.  However if you have strict control, insure people follow the rules with no exceptions, things will tend to work out.  Basically it leads to massive micro-managing, but thats how its supposed to be done.  The cutting in lines, etc its actually OK to call them out for this but dont make a scene about it.  Filipinos hate this about the culture and Ive seen alot call each other out on it.  But as I said, dont embarrass them in front of the whole line or crowd.  Ive told many in a nice enough way where they step back into line with no issues.  Ive also seen foreigners yelling and screaming in 7-11 or Family Mart and it doesnt go over well. 

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

No time in history has the world tried to shut down and hide from a pandemic. It is crazy to think that this is an effective strategy because it will never work. Swine flu, H1Ni, SARS, Ebola, and on and on. Move on with life and quarantine the sick not the healthy. Take this out of the political realm and put it in the hands of real doctors where it belongs.

13 minutes ago, RO_AH said:

No time in history has the world tried to shut down and hide from a pandemic. It is crazy to think that this is an effective strategy because it will never work. Swine flu, H1Ni, SARS, Ebola, and on and on. Move on with life and quarantine the sick not the healthy. Take this out of the political realm and put it in the hands of real doctors where it belongs.

Correct.  The economic devastation comes after the cure.  We have a long way to still go.

Also, if anyone has bank accounts in the Philippines you may want to consider moving your money out soon.  BPO and BPI are setting large amounts of cash aside for bad loans and the deposit insurance is only 500K pesos if you believe a bank would even pay that.  Obviously I dont expect these banks to go under, but then again, I dont trust a whole lot that goes on there. 

10 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

When I started working there, I was told to be an a$$hole with my team, but in a controlled way.  Controlled meaning, dont humiliate them, dont embarrass, dont put people down, but be strict, firm and dont give an inch, and if there is a mess up, you tell them about it.  

Interesting, I have never worked there.

I know if you embarrass them and they are family members, there is a chance they could hire someone to murder you over there.  Sadly there are reports of foreigners found stabbed or shot to death on a regular basis.  I suspect this is distance family members and dealing with money or someone getting their pride hurt. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.