Steeleballz

Narcissists and Psychopaths Are More Likely to Refuse to Wear Masks, Says New Research

37 posts in this topic

Two recent studies looked at the relationship between personality traits and reactions to restrictions put in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19. Researchers found that people possessing so-called "Dark Triad" traits—narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism—were less likely to comply with restrictions or engage in preventative measures against the pandemic. However, researchers also emphasized the small role personality traits have in the overall response to pandemic restrictions, like face-mask mandates and social-distancing requirements.

https://www.newsweek.com/narcissists-psychopaths-face-mask-requirement-mandate-social-distancing-covid-19-coronavirus-1519732

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Two recent studies looked at the relationship between personality traits and reactions to restrictions put in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus COVID-19. Researchers found that people possessing so-called "Dark Triad" traits—narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism—were less likely to comply with restrictions or engage in preventative measures against the pandemic. However, researchers also emphasized the small role personality traits have in the overall response to pandemic restrictions, like face-mask mandates and social-distancing requirements.

https://www.newsweek.com/narcissists-psychopaths-face-mask-requirement-mandate-social-distancing-covid-19-coronavirus-1519732

I dont get it. People wear their seatbelts, register thier cars, get drivers license, buy cars with mandatory air bags, take medication approved by the FDA,  safe water in this country is taken for granted becuase of govt oversight, clean air is light years ahead compared to 50 years ago, generally obey driving regulations or face fines, get a license to fish or hunt, register their boats and comply with boating laws. I could go on for pages .

But want me to wear a mask. Lets start a civil war give me liberty give me death, communism is at our door etc.

You have to wonder where people made the natural mask = un-American. How could all of these people come up with the same idea, all at the same time? Psst, Nature Boy, pssssstWe're the sheep.

:lol: 

I wonder if Trump and some of the others in the Republican Party, and people on OANN and Fox had come out pro-mask from near the beginning, whether this all would have gone differently.

What is so inherently different between wearing a mask to protect others and all the examples you give above? I mean, if you scream "Liberty!!!!" while sailing your speedboat near a bunch of swimmers because they're in the way between you and your destination, that's not cool. You might not hit them, but maybe you will. But boating laws say don't do that so hopefully you comply. But to achieve true liberty, we should just be able to zoom right through them, no?

12 minutes ago, laylalex said:

You have to wonder where people made the natural mask = un-American. How could all of these people come up with the same idea, all at the same time? Psst, Nature Boy, pssssstWe're the sheep.

:lol: 

I wonder if Trump and some of the others in the Republican Party, and people on OANN and Fox had come out pro-mask from near the beginning, whether this all would have gone differently.

What is so inherently different between wearing a mask to protect others and all the examples you give above? I mean, if you scream "Liberty!!!!" while sailing your speedboat near a bunch of swimmers because they're in the way between you and your destination, that's not cool. You might not hit them, but maybe you will. But boating laws say don't do that so hopefully you comply. But to achieve true liberty, we should just be able to zoom right through them, no?

If I cant drive drunk?

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

If I cant drive drunk?

That sounds like an America I don't want to live in!!! 🍾

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I always think of California when those terms are mentioned well obviously not everybody but it does seem a more common featrure.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I always think of California when those terms are mentioned well obviously not everybody but it does seem a more common featrure.

I have always done well on the psychopath test, i.e., not a psychopath. I should check to see if I'm a narcissist.

Okay, I got an 11 so I am NOT a narcissist: https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic-personality-quiz/

However I am superior and exploitative! Contrary to popular opinion I am neither vain nor entitled. 👸

Authority: 2/8

Authority refers to a person's leadership skills and power. People who score higher on authority like to be in charge and gain power, often for power's sake alone.

Self-Sufficiency: 2/6

This trait refers to how self-sufficient a person is, that is, how much you rely on others versus your own abilities to meet your needs in life.

Superiority: 3/5

This trait refers to whether a person feels they are more superior than those around them. You scored particularly high in superiority, suggesting you feel you are superior to most others.

Exhibitionism: 1/7

This trait refers to a person's need to be the center of attention, and willingness to ensure they are the center of attention (even at the expense of others' needs).

Exploitativeness: 3/5

This trait refers to how willing you are to exploit others in order to meet your own needs or goals. You scored particularly high in exploitativeness, suggesting you don't mind exploiting others in order to meet your own needs or goals.

Vanity: 0/3

This trait refers to a person's vanity, or their belief in one's own superior abilities and attractiveness compared to others.

Entitlement: 0/6

This trait refers to the expectation and amount of entitlement a person has in their lives, that is, unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with one's expectations. People who score higher on this trait generally have a greater expectation of entitlement, while those who score lower expect little from others or life.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your Total: 3

Between 12 and 15 is average.
Celebrities often score closer to 18.
Narcissists score over 20.

Authority

Total7

Authority: 1/8

Authority refers to a person's leadership skills and power. People who score higher on authority like to be in charge and gain power, often for power's sake alone.

Self-Sufficiency

Total6

Self-Sufficiency: 0/6

This trait refers to how self-sufficient a person is, that is, how much you rely on others versus your own abilities to meet your needs in life.

Superiority

Total4

Superiority: 1/5

This trait refers to whether a person feels they are more superior than those around them.

Exhibitionism

Total7

Exhibitionism: 0/7

This trait refers to a person's need to be the center of attention, and willingness to ensure they are the center of attention (even at the expense of others' needs).

Exploitiven…

Total5

Exploitativeness: 0/5

This trait refers to how willing you are to exploit others in order to meet your own needs or goals.

Vanity

Total3

This trait refers to a person's vanity, or their belief in one's own superior abilities and attractiveness compared to others.

Entitlement

Total5

Entitlement: 1/6

This trait refers to the expectation and amount of entitlement a person has in their lives, that is, unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with one's expectations. People who score higher on this trait generally have a greater expectation of entitlement, while those who score lower expect little from others or life.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

that's nice.  now make alex a sammich and rub his feet.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your Total: 2

Below you will find a brief interpretation of each of the seven component narcissism traits and what your score relative to that trait may indicate about you.

Authority

TaskHours

Authority0

Total8

Authority: 0/8

Self-Sufficiency

TaskHours

Self-Sufficiency1

Total5

Self-Sufficiency: 1/6

Superiority

TaskHours

Superiority0

Total5

Superiority: 0/5

This trait refers to whether a person feels they are more superior than those around them.

Exhibitioni…

TaskHours

Exhibitionism0

Total7

Exhibitionism: 0/7

Exploitiven…

TaskHours

Exploitive0

Total5

Exploitativeness: 0/5

This trait refers to how willing you are to exploit others in order to meet your own needs or goals.

Vanity

TaskHours

Vanity0

Total3

Entitlement

TaskHours

Entitlement1

Total5

Entitlement: 1/6

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Your Total: 3

*snip*

Well, you're more authoritarian and more than entitled than me at least! :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

that's nice.  now make alex a sammich and rub his feet.

Not dinnertime yet out here, and he's still working. He's back in his home office (pile driving has ended) and I do not go in there during work hours if I can avoid it. Because it usually ends up with him wanting to talk to me about something he's read on the internet and we should talk about it RIGHT NOW and I do try to keep him on track.

1 hour ago, laylalex said:

Okay, I got an 11 so I am NOT a narcissist: https://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic-personality-quiz/

However I am superior and exploitative! Contrary to popular opinion I am neither vain nor entitled. 👸

Authority: 2/8

Self-Sufficiency: 2/6

Superiority: 3/5

This trait refers to whether a person feels they are more superior than those around them. You scored particularly high in superiority, suggesting you feel you are superior to most others.

Exhibitionism: 1/7

Exploitativeness: 3/5

This trait refers to how willing you are to exploit others in order to meet your own needs or goals. You scored particularly high in exploitativeness, suggesting you don't mind exploiting others in order to meet your own needs or goals.

Entitlement: 0/6

Psych Central

MENU

Results of your
Narcissistic Personality Quiz

Total
Task Hours
Total 24
None 16

Your Total: 24

Because you scored 18 or higher, you may want to check out the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder.

Below you will find a brief interpretation of each of the seven component narcissism traits and what your score relative to that trait may indicate about you.

Authority
Task Hours
Authority 7
Total 1

Authority: 7/8

Authority refers to a person's leadership skills and power. People who score higher on authority like to be in charge and gain power, often for power's sake alone. You scored particularly high in authority, suggesting you see yourself as a leader or as someone who values power.

Self-Sufficiency
Task Hours
Self-Sufficiency 5
Total 1

Self-Sufficiency: 5/6

This trait refers to how self-sufficient a person is, that is, how much you rely on others versus your own abilities to meet your needs in life. You scored particularly high in self-sufficiency, suggesting you are highly self sufficient.

Superiority
Task Hours
Superiority 0
Total 5

Superiority: 0/5

Exhibitionism
Task Hours
Exhibitionism 3
Total 4

Exhibitionism: 3/7

Exploitiveness
Task Hours
Exploitive 5
Total 0

Exploitativeness: 5/5

Vanity
Task Hours
Vanity 0
Total 3

Entitlement
Task Hours
Entitlement 4
Total 2

Entitlement: 4/6

This trait refers to the expectation and amount of entitlement a person has in their lives, that is, unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with one's expectations. People who score higher on this trait generally have a greater expectation of entitlement, while those who score lower expect little from others or life. You scored particularly high on entitlement, suggesting that you may have a higher sense of entitlement 

Jupiterpixel.gif?partnerid=pc&context=%7B%22psychcentral%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A4%2C%22score%22%3A12%7D%2C%22psych%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A5%2C%22score%22%3A10%7D%2C%22diagnosis%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A2%2C%22score%22%3A4%7D%2C%22personality%20disorder%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A9%2C%22score%22%3A11%7D%2C%22research%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A3%2C%22score%22%3A3%7D%2C%22one%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A2%2C%22score%22%3A2%7D%2C%22between%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22female%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22male%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22attention%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A4%2C%22score%22%3A4%7D%2C%22show%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A4%2C%22score%22%3A4%7D%2C%22body%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A4%2C%22score%22%3A4%7D%2C%22interest%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22disorder%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A4%2C%22score%22%3A4%7D%2C%22chronic%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22psychology%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A2%2C%22score%22%3A2%7D%2C%22psychiatric%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A2%2C%22score%22%3A2%7D%2C%22mental%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A3%2C%22score%22%3A3%7D%2C%22ed%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A2%2C%22score%22%3A2%7D%2C%22health%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A2%2C%22score%22%3A2%7D%2C%22parenting%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22major%20depression%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22guilt%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22back%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22science%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%2C%22therapist%22%3A%7B%22count%22%3A1%2C%22score%22%3A1%7D%7D

3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Oh no, Nature Boy!!! 

I did tell you I was broken, did I not.

I got 0/5 on superiority.  How can that be narrsistic?

I think it picked up on my 30 years of management and military leadership.  My vastly superior reasoning power, brilliant coercive powers. All traits that would make me a great king of the world.

But narcissistic.  No way