hopelifebetter201

July 2020 I-751 filers (merged)

862 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Carmina06 said:

July 2020 filer here.. Really concerned that my 24-month letter extension is expiring in 2 days and still have no update on my case other than the fingerprints. What do i do if it expires? ;(

Get InfoPass appointment and I-551 stamp in your passport. Did you submit case inquiry?

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Get InfoPass appointment and I-551 stamp in your passport. Did you submit case inquiry?

No, i haven't. Is it necessary to have the stamp? I'm a stay at home mom and not working, so not needing it for anything other than an emergency travel abroad. How hard is it to make an appointment for an infopass? It is also a 5-hr drive from where i am with an unhappy toddler in the carseat. 😐 This process took so much longer than i expected ;(

@Carmina06 emergency travel abroad or change in circumstances requiring you to get a job. Or if you need to renew drivers license. All of these may require the stamp. For employment, you can show Social Security card (with no wording on it) and Drivers License instead.

You don't lose LPR status because you don't have the I-551 stamp, but proving your status to DMV or returning to the US becomes a problem without it.

Edited by OldUser

1 hour ago, Carmina06 said:

July 2020 filer here.. Really concerned that my 24-month letter extension is expiring in 2 days and still have no update on my case other than the fingerprints. What do i do if it expires? ;(

I’m in the same boat. Mine expires tomorrow. I called them and requested emergency infopass appointment for i551 stamp. There are categories that you can pick from that constitute emergency. They give you the list when you call and request info pass. 
I picked employment in jeopardy which my employer signed since it really was. I will take that with me. The appointment is for October 13th which my extension expires October 4th. I think I should be ok. 

3 hours ago, Carmina06 said:

I was in the same boat and since I didn’t hear anything from them in 2 years and my 24 months extension letter was going to end, I’ve decided to apply for naturalization on 08/29. The same day, literally 2 or 3 hours after I started my application, I got a notification saying my I751 was approved, they mailed my new card on 08/31 and got it on 09/02.
I’m not saying the same thing is going to happen to all of us but it’s worth the shot. If we are going to wait for that long, we may as well wait for something better like the naturalization. So if you’re eligible, I would say go ahead and to do it and see what happens. Good luck! 

7 minutes ago, KaelRos said:

I was in the same boat and since I didn’t hear anything from them in 2 years and my 24 months extension letter was going to end, I’ve decided to apply for naturalization on 08/29. The same day, literally 2 or 3 hours after I started my application, I got a notification saying my I751 was approved, they mailed my new card on 08/31 and got it on 09/02.
I’m not saying the same thing is going to happen to all of us but it’s worth the shot. If we are going to wait for that long, we may as well wait for something better like the naturalization. So if you’re eligible, I would say go ahead and to do it and see what happens. Good luck! 

Great advise. I started my naturalization paperwork yesterday!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

my 24 month extension will expire in 5 days but I-751 still in pending. Should I apply for naturalization or keep waiting for 10 year green card ? thank you.

CR1

Texas Service Center

NOA1: 7/17/17

RFE: 3/5/18

RFE SENT: 5/3/18

RFE RECEIVED: 5/9/18

Approved: 5/25/18

Sent to NVC : 6/13/18

NVC received: 6/21/18

Case number: 7/19/2018

Pay AOS & IV fees: 7/19/18

CEAC shut down on 7/19/18 until 7/31/18

Ds-260 submitted 8/1/18

Civil and AOS package uploaded: 8/3/18

Case complete: 8/6/18

On 10/3/2022 at 2:33 PM, OldUser said:

@Carmina06 emergency travel abroad or change in circumstances requiring you to get a job. Or if you need to renew drivers license. All of these may require the stamp. For employment, you can show Social Security card (with no wording on it) and Drivers License instead.

You don't lose LPR status because you don't have the I-551 stamp, but proving your status to DMV or returning to the US becomes a problem without it.

Thank you! I was thinking i didnt need a stamp, then my father got very sick right now that we're just waiting. It's an emergency situation and when we called, was told that i would be put in front of the queue and have 10 days to leave. Not sure how that works. Do you have any idea if it will get stamped right away? And does it mean i only have 10 days validity stamp or i could stay longer? We didnt get to ask too many questions since we were not sure about this and decided to just call back if we decided.

20 hours ago, Carmina06 said:

Thank you! I was thinking i didnt need a stamp, then my father got very sick right now that we're just waiting. It's an emergency situation and when we called, was told that i would be put in front of the queue and have 10 days to leave. Not sure how that works. Do you have any idea if it will get stamped right away? And does it mean i only have 10 days validity stamp or i could stay longer? We didnt get to ask too many questions since we were not sure about this and decided to just call back if we decided.

I recently applied for the 551 stamp due to work emergency. I was called within 72 hours. Although the appointment date was over 2 weeks from when they called. It was pretty straight forward. Took less than 10 mins. They kept my green card since it was expired and stamped my passport with 1 year validity. 

Does anyone know if you can travel outside the country with an I551 stamp? 

2 hours ago, Jay5021 said:

I recently applied for the 551 stamp due to work emergency. I was called within 72 hours. Although the appointment date was over 2 weeks from when they called. It was pretty straight forward. Took less than 10 mins. They kept my green card since it was expired and stamped my passport with 1 year validity. 

Does anyone know if you can travel outside the country with an I551 stamp? 

Thank you. For how long it's gonna take, we're not gonna be able to make it. My dad just passed yesterday. The timing is just cruel. Why is this process so difficult. 😭 Didn't anticipate that i'll run out of extension before they issue me a green card

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

my I-751 application was approved on Oct, 10 without an interview. 

CR1

Texas Service Center

NOA1: 7/17/17

RFE: 3/5/18

RFE SENT: 5/3/18

RFE RECEIVED: 5/9/18

Approved: 5/25/18

Sent to NVC : 6/13/18

NVC received: 6/21/18

Case number: 7/19/2018

Pay AOS & IV fees: 7/19/18

CEAC shut down on 7/19/18 until 7/31/18

Ds-260 submitted 8/1/18

Civil and AOS package uploaded: 8/3/18

Case complete: 8/6/18

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.