Trutta

Should I abandon K-1 and just get married?

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Trutta said:

Hi.

I don't care much about the cost or additional forms or procedures (in the US).

We got NOA1 in March but nothing since. I am not even sure if they are actively processing K1 now. Then there is apparently an issue of possible funding and furlough issues coming soon. So, will a K1 still be faster?

My only concern is getting out of here and into the United States as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks

Marrying and filing for a spousal visa now won't make the process any faster.

Even pre-covid, petition approvals took longer than three months.  In 2018, ours took six months.

1 hour ago, Trutta said:

I've been year for years, and ready to leave for roughly the same period of time. Fiance feels the same. Let's just say there's a reason people risk life and limb to enter the United States.

Anyway, I am not looking for advice on where to live. I want to know to get enter the US with my fiance as soon as possible. Stick with K1 or get married here. That is the only question here. Thanks again.

In this case, initially a CR-1 may have been a better choice.  But three months in with a K-1, it may be six of one half a dozen of the other.

One thing to research about CR-1 visas is the requirement for domicile and the financial requirements.

Just now, Jorgedig said:

In this case, initially a CR-1 may have been a better choice.  But three months in with a K-1, it may be six of one half a dozen of the other.

One thing to research about CR-1 visas is the requirement for domicile and the financial requirements.

Thanks. I have never abandoned my US citizenship or residency. I have a ranch back home and I have assets that pay out around 100,000 a year in interest and dividends. Since there are just two of us, those requirements should be easy to meet. At least that is what I believe based on my research. Correct me if I am wrong.

That income will definitely qualify you.  The domicile requirement, depending on the country, is often more about the intent to re-establish domicile.  Having property, maintaining a US driver's license, making sure the requirement to file US taxes has been met etc are all positives.

Your situation seems a bit better than most, in that you can wait out either scenario together.  Personally, I would carry on with the K-1 if I were you, but I can see the rationale of switching also.

Edited by Jorgedig

Just now, Jorgedig said:

That income will definitely qualify you.  The domicile requirement, depending on the country, is often more about the intent to re-establish domicile.  Having property, maintaining a US driver's license, making sure the requirement to file US taxes has been met etc are all positives.

Yes sir. I indeed have my license (and vehicles), home, and have always paid taxes. And before this shutdown mess I was flying back 4 times a year to maintain the ranch, so that should help I am hoping. Then again I applied for K1, so how much of this will matter?

Just now, Trutta said:

Yes sir. I indeed have my license (and vehicles), home, and have always paid taxes. And before this shutdown mess I was flying back 4 times a year to maintain the ranch, so that should help I am hoping. Then again I applied for K1, so how much of this will matter?

Certainly it won't matter for a K-1 in the same way as for a CR-1.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just filed the I-129F petition and I'm wondering the same. It's going to be at least three months before my fiancé and I can be in the same place due to travel restrictions in Colombia. With the upcoming furloughs, travel restrictions, EOs, and crazy I-944 requirements, it sure makes the future seem to come with more expensive, unsure, and delayed work permits which makes the whole thing seem now less desirable than just getting married and being apart for that time. My fiancé has never been to the USA and I wanted to give him some time to visit, explore, and get to know it and living together before actually tying the knot. Seemed the most fair. Now it seems like it might be best to just count the filing fee as loss and start over with marriage and waiting apart. I totally CAN sponsor his presence for so long without a work permit, but gosh that seems like years without being able to work would be hard on a brand new marriage with such big changes in our lives. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Based on what I've ready, I think others are right in that if you're already 3 months into the K-1, you may as well stick with it unless the Embassy you're applying through isn't inspiring much confidence in making progress on those K-1s.

I got about 96% of my I-129f ready to submit. Just waiting on my fiancée's letter of intent, passport photos and a witness statement, all being sent from Poland which should be here by Monday.

However, with everything going on now, I'm seriously considering moving to Poland and doing the Visa Journey in the other direction as soon as a path opens up in commercial travel. The research is tough because I don't understand Polish. I don't want to hire a lawyer until I'm confident its legally viable with my fiancée's income as I don't know how long I'd be without work in small-town Poland as a non-native that doesn't speak Polish.

This is all just heart-wrenching. All I want is to be with her.

Edited by holdingonforhope

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.