Chimney

F2A seems to be out until 2021. What’s your move?

47 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, vincentlina said:

Ok, I gotcha you. Thanks. So basically, despite the ban (on IV visa issuance at Embassies) NVC would still process the applications regardless? I thought NVC would have "stopped" processing IV applications because of the ban. I mean, after all, the embassies can't do anything with them anyways. My assumption is that they would just let IV (F2A, etc.) petitions just sit there and pile-up and gather dust in some distant corner of the building.

We’ve seen a number of people reporting, like you, various notifications indicating things are still being processed. It makes sense to me, otherwise the backlog of catching up processing when the proclamation expires (and remember the last one got extended with something like one day’s notice) would be massive. This way everything continues to get done  and as much as possible is ready for when embassies can start rescheduling, I guess. 

For applications still pending in the I130 stage, further delay (if F2-A isn't already slow enough :)) is coming: https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/deputy-director-policy-statement-uscis-fiscal-outlook

Edited by harden4mvp

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

F2A are definitely still processing. We got DQ on the very same day when Trump released the new EO with extension through end of the year. Ironic.

What we’re doing? I filed for citizenship 6.5 months ago and hope that we can eventually upgrade to CR1. I’m being realistic and know that there’s a backlog and now USCIS will likely reduce it’s workforce so it won’t be fast. In the mean time, I am spending all the time I can (without risking Citizenship eligibility) with my husband in his country.

It’s kind of strange that we’re technically both waiting for our interview letter, we’ll see which one comes first...

It’s disappointing to see how different LPR’s are being treated in this situation 😑

6 minutes ago, Kelly272 said:

You think f2a visa will still get a interview date for this your?

F2A visas are currently banned for issuance under the presidential proclamation until the end of the year. So, no.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kelly272 said:

You think f2a visa will still get a interview date for this your?

I don’t think so. The embassies have enough backlog with visa categories that are not banned, so it’s safe to assume they’ll be scheduled first.

However, looking at “Muslim ban” processes etc it’s possible that interviews will be scheduled eventually, and then the case goes into refused once the interview was conducted until the suspension gets lifted. I guess nobody knows for sure how embassies will handle this - at least I haven’t found an official statement yet.

30 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

I don’t think so. The embassies have enough backlog with visa categories that are not banned, so it’s safe to assume they’ll be scheduled first.

However, looking at “Muslim ban” processes etc it’s possible that interviews will be scheduled eventually, and then the case goes into refused once the interview was conducted until the suspension gets lifted. I guess nobody knows for sure how embassies will handle this - at least I haven’t found an official statement yet.

The problem with doing it that way is that everyone who might interview before the ban is lifted - with no prior knowledge of whether it will be extended - risks having to redo their medical again, collectively that's a lot of time and money wasted. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

The problem with doing it that way is that everyone who might interview before the ban is lifted - with no prior knowledge of whether it will be extended - risks having to redo their medical again, collectively that's a lot of time and money wasted. 

Agree with you, just not sure if DOS cares about how much money/time we spend. They’ve continued interviewing applicants with other bans/restrictions in the past, and then there’s also the general “exceptions are at the discretion of the Consular Officer and DOS” point. I guess we all don’t know what will happen (except that those banned visa categories won’t be prioritized).

A general thought on medical pre-interview: Considering how many people end up in extended AP (my husband is from ME and it seems pretty common here) and have to redo medical, I was pleasantly surprised that the Consular section in Baghdad does not request a medical at the interview. They clearly state to wait post interview until the Embassy requests the medical. However, that Embassy is temporarily closed after being attacked and now we’re assigned to a different post which does require a medical. Anyhow. Off topic :) 

1 hour ago, Quarknase said:

Agree with you, just not sure if DOS cares about how much money/time we spend. They’ve continued interviewing applicants with other bans/restrictions in the past, and then there’s also the general “exceptions are at the discretion of the Consular Officer and DOS” point. I guess we all don’t know what will happen (except that those banned visa categories won’t be prioritized).

A general thought on medical pre-interview: Considering how many people end up in extended AP (my husband is from ME and it seems pretty common here) and have to redo medical, I was pleasantly surprised that the Consular section in Baghdad does not request a medical at the interview. They clearly state to wait post interview until the Embassy requests the medical. However, that Embassy is temporarily closed after being attacked and now we’re assigned to a different post which does require a medical. Anyhow. Off topic :) 

My understanding is the ones they’ve interviewed before with bans, are those with waivers available for those bans. That’s not the case with these ones.  Your husband’s embassy is one of a few a special cases I think - most embassies require the medicals in advance. Some will not allow applicants in to their appointments if they have not been done. 

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am hoping someone can help our situation. My sister is under an f2a visa through my mom. Before the EO was issued, we received the letter from NVC that her case and all documents are approved and they are taking the next step to schedule her interview with the US Embassy. She is aging-out soon -turning 21 in November. Will she be allowed/schedule a visa interview before she’s 21 based on the AILA option 1? If so (or if not) what steps should we take for her case? Thanks so much -EE

4 hours ago, F2amama said:

Hello. I am hoping someone can help our situation. My sister is under an f2a visa through my mom. Before the EO was issued, we received the letter from NVC that her case and all documents are approved and they are taking the next step to schedule her interview with the US Embassy. She is aging-out soon -turning 21 in November. Will she be allowed/schedule a visa interview before she’s 21 based on the AILA option 1? If so (or if not) what steps should we take for her case? Thanks so much -EE

If she’s submitted her ds260 she’s protected under CSPA and won’t age out. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:30 AM, SusieQQQ said:

If she’s submitted her ds260 she’s protected under CSPA and won’t age out. 

I think also she can do an emergency appointment.

18 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Emergency appointment for what?

Her CSPA age is locked in.  The ban still applies.  So what's the emergency? 

Agree, we had in fact another poster recently try to get an emergency appointment on the basis of his age and was told that because he was protected under CSPA there was no emergency.  I don’t recall right now if he was IR2 or F2A.

• 5 months later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 6/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Unfortunately yes. Sorry, it’s a really tough situation for someone with such a young child.

I’m now naturalized, and the case is sit at the nvc, how do it inform them?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.