2,967 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Kersac said:

Great observation. The logical thing to do is renew the C09 which is free. However, i have come across about 2 people who for some reason wanted to renew their C09 after VAWA approval and were specifically ask by UDCIS to renew the C31 instead since VAWA is approved. So I dont know any clear cut policy about this and given that USCIS is very messy at times. It will give me more peace of mind applying for both. If C09 which free is rejected, C31 is guaranteed to go come through regardless. That's my logic.

I see...I understand it financially but I think that we should have c31 renewed anyway since that reflects the most recent status for our case. But if c9 serves the same as c31 (for legal purposes) even after VAWA approval then I guess smart thing to do (financially) would be applying for c9 (free if you paid for I485 or with fee waiver if you didn’t pay for I485) and see how it goes. If c9 doesn’t go through then apply for c31 renewal. Of course this would require careful timing. But if someone is applying for both c9 and c31 at the same time, this means they are already paying for c31 EAD fee. And that’s the point I think it’s unnecessary to renew c9 EAD together with c31 EAD. Because you are already paying the fee :) 

I used a fee waiver when I filed my I485 so renewing c9 EAD is not free for me and I have to prepare a fee waiver every time. Last time they didn’t accept my fee waiver request for c9 EAD renewal. And now I have c31 EAD. Hopefully one renewal will be enough to get an interview and GC. My c31 EAD expires mid January 2021. 

Edited by GreenB

22 minutes ago, GreenB said:

I’m just curious...why renew both? It just creates extra workload for USCIS and I can’t see the benefit of having both...

I’m not criticizing, just trying to understand the underlying logic of it :)

For me I just chose to renew my C9 which was free! Although it's always about personal choice..💁😊

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
4 minutes ago, GreenB said:

I see...I understand it financially but I think that we should have c31 renewed anyway since that reflects the most recent status for our case. But if c9 serves the same as c31 (for legal purposes) even after VAWA approval then I guess smart thing to do (financially) would be applying for c9 (free if you paid for I485 or with fee waiver if you didn’t pay for I485) and see how it goes. If c9 doesn’t go through then apply for c31 renewal. Of course this would require careful timing. But if someone is applying for both c9 and c31 at the same time, this means they are already paying for c31 EAD fee. And that’s the point I think it’s unnecessary to renew c9 EAD together with c31 EAD. Because you are already paying the fee :) 

I used a fee waiver when I filed my I485 so renewing c9 EAD is not free for me and I have to prepare a fee waiver every time. Last time they didn’t accept my fee waiver request for c9 EAD renewal. And now I have c31 EAD. Hopefully one renewal will be enough to get an interview and GC. My c31 EAD expires mid January 2021. 

Now, I see why you asked the question. In your case you are going to pay for both regardless. So, one will be okay for you. I would go for C31 too if I had to pay for both and hoping your green card comes through before it expires

2 minutes ago, Kersac said:

Now, I see why you asked the question. In your case you are going to pay for both regardless. So, one will be okay for you. I would go for C31 too if I had to pay for both and hoping your green card comes through before it expires

Yes for my case, I’ll renew c31 EAD, I don’t have any question there :) 

But I was thinking for someone who is applying for both c9 and c31 “at the same time”. We have to pay for c31 EAD, right? So in my opinion, for a person who already has an approved VAWA (I360) and therefore a c31 EAD;

*if you apply for c9 first and see how it goes this sounds logical to me. (Because you may get it without paying any fee)

if c9 doesn’t go through for free then apply for c31 with fee.

*but I just couldn’t see the point of applying for both at the same time. Because you are already paying the fee for c31 EAD.

Btw I’m just talking about a general situation, not referring to anyone specific :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
2 minutes ago, GreenB said:

Yes for my case, I’ll renew c31 EAD, I don’t have any question there :) 

But I was thinking for someone who is applying for both c9 and c31 “at the same time”. We have to pay for c31 EAD, right? So in my opinion, for a person who already has an approved VAWA (I360) and therefore a c31 EAD;

*if you apply for c9 first and see how it goes this sounds logical to me. (Because you may get it without paying any fee)

if c9 doesn’t go through for free then apply for c31 with fee.

*but I just couldn’t see the point of applying for both at the same time. Because you are already paying the fee for c31 EAD.

Btw I’m just talking about a general situation, not referring to anyone specific :)

👌👍👍👍

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 6/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, folate said:

Hi Everyone 
I hope you all are doing well and staying safe.

MY Timeline in brief-
i-360 and i-485 filed in december 2017 
I-360 approved in december 2019 

The case status for i-485 shows "Name was updated " after the i-360 approval 
No update on my i-485 case since my vawa approval apart from Name has been updated .

I see people discussing about updates on file transfer to NBC or to local office.
This got me alarmed.Thats the reason i am posting here.
Any help or guidance or if someone can please share if they had similar experience as me would be highly appreciated.
because it's been more than 7 months since my approval.

Thanks in Advance

I have almost same timeline, no updates on I485, but I know it has been transferred to NBC, not sure about local office. You haven't received a courtesy letter yet? If not, then contact congressman. If you received a letter about medicals then you're good - just wait.

P.S. USCIS website says all their offices are open now, but somehow not a single person here wrote they got their interview since pandemic... 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Engineering-rocks said:

I have almost same timeline, no updates on I485, but I know it has been transferred to NBC, not sure about local office. You haven't received a courtesy letter yet? If not, then contact congressman. If you received a letter about medicals then you're good - just wait.

P.S. USCIS website says all their offices are open now, but somehow not a single person here wrote they got their interview since pandemic... 

there are certain people who got there green card with out interview recently 

so I got the courtesy letter in the month of April 2020 still waiting 

I think since it’s the time of uncertainty we can always contact the senator or congressman since they cab enquirer on our behalf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Braveheart123 said:

I think since it’s the time of uncertainty we can always contact the senator or congressman since they cab enquirer on our behalf

@Braveheart123 You might receive your interview or GC without Interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Braveheart123 said:

Yea I got mine in April as well. As of 2 weeks ago my case was still in NBC though, not local office.

If I remember correctly all those no interview people applied for I485 after vawa approval, not together like I did

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Engineering-rocks said:

Yea I got mine in April as well. As of 2 weeks ago my case was still in NBC though, not local office.

If I remember correctly all those no interview people applied for I485 after vawa approval, not together like I did

@Engineering-rocks does it matter if you submit I485 along with your application or submit after i360 approval?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Engineering-rocks said:

Yes you are right that the people who applied after approval got there green card with out interview but any way we can hope that the same thing can be done to

our case as well and that why I am suggesting to contact the senator or congresss man.

Moreover I got the courtesy letter in April but it was never updated on the website 

Hi All,

Hope you all are safe in this pandemic time. I have one question could you guys please help me. I got my green card through vawa  last year. After I got my green card 5 months later. I married in india. Now I want to bring my wife. Can I apply green card for her? God bless you all.

This was my process before

vawa applied - 2017

divorced my ex - May 2018

vawa approved- sep 2018

green card approved- May 2019

married in india- oct 2019

thanks

15 minutes ago, Dharmaraj said:

Hi All,

Hope you all are safe in this pandemic time. I have one question could you guys please help me. I got my green card through vawa  last year. After I got my green card 5 months later. I married in india. Now I want to bring my wife. Can I apply green card for her? God bless you all.

This was my process before

vawa applied - 2017

divorced my ex - May 2018

vawa approved- sep 2018

green card approved- May 2019

married in india- oct 2019

thanks

Why not? USC and GC holders can petition for their spouses..but for now looks like everything's on hold... of course not for VAWA petitioners and a few other exceptions..you'll have to hear other views! You can also google to see the current situation.👍

Filed: Other Timeline
4 hours ago, Engineering-rocks said:

thank you for sharing - who thinks we should send medicals instead of waiting for medical exam courtesy letter? It seems interviews will now be canceled for vawa applicants - uscis has lack of ppl to do them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.