JER2020

N-400 July 2020 Filers (merged)

1,097 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
52 minutes ago, COYG! said:

Thank you! 

Going to Bermuda. What about you? Even I was tired of waiting and decided to go ahead and book the travel. A week later I got the interview notice.

Good luck with your process. 

Going to Kenya. I purchased travel insurance for the first time in my travelling life, just incase they send me a notice with interview dates that lie within my vacation dates.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Has anyone in here given any thought to the oath of allegiance? This would be my third nationality and although I understand it is only to the effects of US Laws, the way it is written its like what I read in the bible and it made me uneasy for some time as I know I am making an oath not only before men but also before God. It is definitely loaded so was just wondering if it was only me lol. I serve the one above all earthly kingdoms and the one who allows them to stand or fall. At one point I even wondered if I really needed to be naturalized as I am a EU citizen as well and can travel more on that passport than I would on a US one. But my purpose for naturalizing is not for the passport, I love this country, all the good things that it was founded on and even as I see it is not what it used to be there is still hope. It has given me many opportunities, and to my family. I have a lot to be grateful for. 

Anyone wants to share their thoughts?

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JER2020 said:

Has anyone in here given any thought to the oath of allegiance? This would be my third nationality and although I understand it is only to the effects of US Laws, the way it is written its like what I read in the bible and it made me uneasy for some time as I know I am making an oath not only before men but also before God. It is definitely loaded so was just wondering if it was only me lol. I serve the one above all earthly kingdoms and the one who allows them to stand or fall. At one point I even wondered if I really needed to be naturalized as I am a EU citizen as well and can travel more on that passport than I would on a US one. But my purpose for naturalizing is not for the passport, I love this country, all the good things that it was founded on and even as I see it is not what it used to be there is still hope. It has given me many opportunities, and to my family. I have a lot to be grateful for. 

Anyone wants to share their thoughts?

Well, you already took oath for 2 countries. Did it change anything?

I think you are overthinking. To me, oaths are just words. Do not take them too deep.

There is a spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UYpuRqSQkRAdX7Kr_nehvjsjCiNTyADPJ3CAc9qJHf4/edit?usp=sharing

Fill time-line, people

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

Some examples for comparison.

Australia:

From this time forward, [under God],
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Germany:

I solemnly declare that I will respect and observe the Basic Law and the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany, and that I will refrain from any activity which might cause it harm.

Israel:

"I declare that I will be a loyal national of the State of Israel."

Canada:

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Russia:

I, (surname, name, middle name), swear that, by taking the citizenship of the Russian Federation, I will observe the Constitution and laws of the Russian Federation, and the rights and freedoms of its citizens; that I shall fulfill my duties as a citizen of the Russian Federation for the welfare of the state and society; that I will protect the freedom and independence of the Russian Federation; and that I will be loyal to Russia and respect its culture, history and traditions.

UK:

I, [name], [swear by Almighty God] [do solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare] that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs, and successors, according to law.

Norway:

As a citizen of Norway I pledge loyalty to my country Norway and the Norwegian society, and I support democracy and human rights and will respect the laws of the country.

Applicants for Norwegian citizenship are not required to take the oath; it is optional.

USA:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Timona said:

Well, you already took oath for 2 countries. Did it change anything?

I think you are overthinking. To me, oaths are just words. Do not take them too deep.

There is a spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UYpuRqSQkRAdX7Kr_nehvjsjCiNTyADPJ3CAc9qJHf4/edit?usp=sharing

Fill time-line, people

No I did not take two oaths, it is my first one. My first was by birth and second one through my Father. This is the first one and I respect your view, I don't believe they are just words. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JER2020 said:

Some examples for comparison.

Australia:

From this time forward, [under God],
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect,
and whose laws I will uphold and obey.

Germany:

I solemnly declare that I will respect and observe the Basic Law and the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany, and that I will refrain from any activity which might cause it harm.

Israel:

"I declare that I will be a loyal national of the State of Israel."

Canada:

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Russia:

I, (surname, name, middle name), swear that, by taking the citizenship of the Russian Federation, I will observe the Constitution and laws of the Russian Federation, and the rights and freedoms of its citizens; that I shall fulfill my duties as a citizen of the Russian Federation for the welfare of the state and society; that I will protect the freedom and independence of the Russian Federation; and that I will be loyal to Russia and respect its culture, history and traditions.

UK:

I, [name], [swear by Almighty God] [do solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm and declare] that, on becoming a British citizen, I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs, and successors, according to law.

Norway:

As a citizen of Norway I pledge loyalty to my country Norway and the Norwegian society, and I support democracy and human rights and will respect the laws of the country.

Applicants for Norwegian citizenship are not required to take the oath; it is optional.

USA:

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

What stands out to me from these oaths is that Canada has to pledge allegiance to a monarch, whereas Norway, which has an actual monarch, does not 😂

This is an interesting discussion topic but probably suitable for a different sub-forum?

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Timeline
Just now, NYBEtt said:

What stands out to me from these oaths is that Canada has to pledge allegiance to a monarch, whereas Norway, which has an actual monarch, does not 😂

This is an interesting discussion topic but probably suitable for a different sub-forum?

Yes you are right, probably should be on its own thread. I will do that. Thank you :)

Timeline
10 minutes ago, JER2020 said:

No I did not take two oaths, it is my first one. My first was by birth and second one through my Father. This is the first one and I respect your view, I don't believe they are just words. 

I know. But they are still oaths. I was just lazy to type what you just wrote.

Anyway, do not stress yourself. Take the oath, call it a day. 

On 5/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, JER2020 said:

based on these two posts, I am thinking that N-400 applications based on marriage to a US Citizen (3YR)  have priority over 5YR Permanent Resident rule.

I would not trust these estimates much. I had my interview today (Manhattan NYC) and 30 mins later the website updated that I'll be scheduled for an Oath ceremony. However the website shows an 8 months completion time!

image.thumb.png.073f04532f0550c50decd5512c0d1475.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi Guys,

I had my N400 interview on Tuesday 5/25 and passed!  Oath ceremony was scheduled for 06/14 that same day.  Thank you all so much for your help throughout this journey!

For those that are still waiting, patience is the key, it is well.  Good luck to us all ☺️

Sept 6 - NOA1

Oct 3 - NOA2
??? - case sent to NVC
??? - NVC received
??? - case number assigned
??? - AOS bill paid
??? - called NVC to review DS-261 and get IV invoice unlocked
??? - IV bill paid
??? - submit DS-260
??? - send IV/AOS package

??? - scan date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
4 hours ago, J1student said:

I would not trust these estimates much. I had my interview today (Manhattan NYC) and 30 mins later the website updated that I'll be scheduled for an Oath ceremony. However the website shows an 8 months completion time!

image.thumb.png.073f04532f0550c50decd5512c0d1475.png

Congrats on passing! Did you get an oath ceremony scheduled yet? Would be helpful if you filled out your timeline:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=364697

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my experience, and I hope that it will be helpful. 

Case was received: 7/9/2020

Biometrics reuse notice: 2/11/2021

Interview scheduled notice: 4/16/2021

Interview was today: 5/27/2021

Oath ceremony scheduled for 6/15/2021

I am in NYC, and my interview was about 10-15 min from the beginning to the end. 

Good luck, guys! Thank you all! 

1 hour ago, AsyaVasya said:

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my experience, and I hope that it will be helpful. 

Case was received: 7/9/2020

Biometrics reuse notice: 2/11/2021

Interview scheduled notice: 4/16/2021

Interview was today: 5/27/2021

Oath ceremony scheduled for 6/15/2021

I am in NYC, and my interview was about 10-15 min from the beginning to the end. 

Good luck, guys! Thank you all! 

Congrats, how many questions they ask you? About what?

Mine is next week in nyc too, I'm a little nervous 

16 minutes ago, Mariela08 said:

Congrats, how many questions they ask you? About what?

Mine is next week in nyc too, I'm a little nervous 

Don’t be nervous! If you’ve been studying civic questions, you’ll be fine. Trust me. I was so nervous myself today. I’ve been studying them for months now, and it was a piece of cake! The officer asked me 6, since I answered them all correctly. Honestly, I cannot remember them all, I had a bran freeze 🥶 

-Who is the “father of our country?”

-What is the “rule of law?”

-Who vetoes the bills?

It was easier than I thought, of course, if you’ve been studying. 

Good luck! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.