PhillyNatz

USCIS lays off over 1000 contractors due to financial shortfalls

35 posts in this topic

About 1,000 employees in the Kansas City area working for the National Benefits Center, an agency under the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, received notice on Friday that their jobs face elimination in what would be one of the largest mass layoffs of the year for the region. National Benefits Center has offices in Lee’s Summit and Overland Park.  The NBC’s largest workload is Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

NBC also serves as centralized hub for appointment scheduling and notifications.

1 hour ago, 90DayFinancier said:

So is this  a notice the might or will get laid off?

In a statement, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services confirmed it reduced the scope of its contract for NBC but provided no further details.

It’s a notice for lay-off in a week’s time is how I read it. 

Edited by PhillyNatz

1 hour ago, Zsazsa said:

I read it as “if congress fails to provide them with the necessary funding, layoffs will commence on May 29th”. This is devastating news. Ugh. 

It’s possible and I hope you’re right.

I don’t think many people understand the important of the NBC. This isn’t some regional field office. 

Edited by PhillyNatz

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, PhillyNatz said:

It’s possible and I hope you’re right.

I don’t think many people understand the important of the NBC. This isn’t some regional field office. 

Omg you’re right. Unless you’re enduring any form of immigration process, you’d think the NBC was a television network. 

8 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Omg you’re right. Unless you’re enduring any form of immigration process, you’d think the NBC was a television network. 

I think people who even use USCIS don’t understand what the NBC does. 

I also think there’s two different issues. 

1. Threatening furlough for employees if the government doesn’t bail them out. 

2. In this case they have served notice to the companies to terminate the contract workers. And they confirmed “scope is reduced”.  The last date is in a week’s time which means it’s definite. This is a cost cutting exercise 

Edited by PhillyNatz

Timeline
8 minutes ago, PhillyNatz said:

I think people who even use USCIS don’t understand what the NBC does. 

I also think there’s two different issues. 

1. Threatening furlough for employees if the government doesn’t bail them out. 

2. In this case they have served notice to the companies to terminate the contract workers. And they confirmed “scope is reduced”.  The last date is in a week’s time which means it’s definite. This is a cost cutting exercise 

Well, while it may not bail them out completely, any reduction in labor costs would relieve financial strains. Also, if there is that much of a reduction in applications, there’s no room for redundancies. 

I’m in no way condoning their strategy or supporting it - I am in desperate need of a fully functioning NBC right now. 

They did say that the additionally funding would not be paid back by American citizens, that the deficit would be recouped by raising immigration fees. I certainly hope the NBC receives the funding they need. 

48 minutes ago, Zsazsa said:

Well, while it may not bail them out completely, any reduction in labor costs would relieve financial strains. Also, if there is that much of a reduction in applications, there’s no room for redundancies. 

I’m in no way condoning their strategy or supporting it - I am in desperate need of a fully functioning NBC right now. 

They did say that the additionally funding would not be paid back by American citizens, that the deficit would be recouped by raising immigration fees. I certainly hope the NBC receives the funding they need. 

I agree with you I’m just not sure how cutting 90% of the staff will enable a fully functioning NBC. A thousand staff, that’s a lot. 

Also the projected 61% decrease is by September. As I remember it there was a surge in applications till January. 

Edited by PhillyNatz

Timeline
18 minutes ago, PhillyNatz said:

I agree with you I’m just not sure how cutting 90% of the staff will enable a fully functioning NBC. A thousand staff, that’s a lot. 

Also the projected 61% decrease is by September. As I remember it there was a surge in applications till January. 

Oh, I can’t see it being fully functioning if the mass layoff proceeds. Crushing. 

As for the 61%, are you referring to a 61% decrease in applications or staff? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Government can bail out banks and airlines but not uscis 

Makes sense since this govt agenda has been to limit immigration 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Lazybones18 said:

Government can bail out banks and airlines but not uscis 

Makes sense since this govt agenda has been to limit immigration 

I agree. I don’t think administration is any hurry to help out those who are moving/living here. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.