Cheburashka34

Immigration lawyer for expunged records

34 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

I don't think they were dropped, the case was dismissed, which are two different things. I really cannot remember exactly what happened because it was so long ago and I was only 17, my mom handled all of it.

And thanks, but I only plan on telling the truth 👍

You should be fine without a lawyer if it was just family violence. You just need the records to show that it was dismissed or expunged. That is it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You should be fine without a lawyer if it was just family violence. You just need the records to show that it was dismissed or expunged. That is it

You are awesome 😊 thank you! 

I just asked her if she remembered why I had to do community service and she didn't know. She said she took a class to learn about how to get the charges dropped and she wrote to someone and had them dropped. (She was the complaining witness)

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

I don't think they were dropped, the case was dismissed, which are two different things. I really cannot remember exactly what happened because it was so long ago and I was only 17, my mom handled all of it.

And thanks, but I only plan on telling the truth 👍

Be sure you do your best to find out exactly what happened so you don't accidently use the wrong terminology.  It is highly unusual for there to be any sentence imposed without a finding of guilt.  It may be, for example, that you were found guilty, but the sentence was suspended but for the community service and evaluation.  Or that final judgment was held in abeyance until you finished the sentence imposed, at which time the record was expunged.  You need to find out exactly what happened.  Is your mother able to provide information?

I didn't mean to imply you were planning on lying; was just referring to your comment about wording it carefully -- which is a good idea unless it sounds too contrived to be believable.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
57 minutes ago, jan22 said:

Be sure you do your best to find out exactly what happened so you don't accidently use the wrong terminology.  It is highly unusual for there to be any sentence imposed without a finding of guilt.  It may be, for example, that you were found guilty, but the sentence was suspended but for the community service and evaluation.  Or that final judgment was held in abeyance until you finished the sentence imposed, at which time the record was expunged.  You need to find out exactly what happened.  Is your mother able to provide information?

I didn't mean to imply you were planning on lying; was just referring to your comment about wording it carefully -- which is a good idea unless it sounds too contrived to be believable.

All I know is she got me a lawyer right after it happened and she wrote a letter explaining what happened and requested the court to have it dismissed. It was an affidavit of non prosecution.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.