biwthse7en

I751 Request for Evidence

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

I received "Request for evidence" from USCIS asking for more support since they took over a year to look at my case and saying my evidence is insufficient from adjustment date to present. My 2 year card was expired in Feb 2019. I submitted my I751 in Dec 2018. I got the ""Request for evidence" in Mar 2020.

I hope someone had stumbled this before can assist us in this situation.

They were asking for a lot of things but I can address most of them. However the below is kind of concerning me a little bit. We have joint bank account.

" Joint Bank statements - because submitted statement activity represent minimal use of the account by you and your petitioning spouse for common household expenses after May 2018 that would establish communal activity, commingling of financial resources, and a responsibility for a shared residence between you and your petitioning spouse from the date of adjustment to present"

Our family household is heavily used of cash. This probably comes from traditional Asian culture deepened in me. I don't want to use excess credit card purchase since we're trying to save money for our house. We have credit card with my spouse as authorized user and we have good credit score since I have always really been careful with our spending. We're not making a lot right now and I'm primary earner in our household. Not to blame anyone on this, but my spouse is not the best when comes to budget and she can excessively purchase stuff without concerning about budgeting. I think using fixed amount of money withdrawn from a joint bank account and try to just use that amount of money is one of the way to control spending. I know it's not the best way to budget finance but it works for our household.

If I submit additional bank statements and the statements just showing withdraws of cash every month and there are no "common house hold expenses" since we buy stuff with our cash, how can I prove that with the immigration officer? I want to submit a letter along with the bank statements to address but I don't want them to read the letter and have a different interpretation. I don't think they take into account the variances of everyday life situation and not every couple lives the same way like they think. Should I attach letter to address or what should I do in this situation that make more sense?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you,.

You can't send what you don't have so your best bet is to send joint documents you have right now along with a written statement explaining why you don't have many debit/credit transactions. The worst situation is you will have another interview, which is not that bad if your relationship are real. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

What service center please?

and don’t worry about the bank statements, it’s the standard letter people get about RFE. Just sent more other evidence - joint taxes, insurances, wills, letters from friends, ID with the same address. Everything will be ok! My friend got the same request in Jan, replayed in 2 weeks and was approved shortly after. 

20 minutes ago, biwthse7en said:

Thank you everyone for answering me.

It's Texas Center. I have all other documentations  and everything is in good faith. Hopefully they don't make it too extremely difficult to prove out. There's just so much that can show through paper.

Yes, my friend got this RFE also from Texas center. When did you have biometrics? 

Just now, biwthse7en said:

@Phoenix777 - biometrics was done in Fort Worth Service Center.  Thanks for answering

I meant when did you have it? In 2019?

Give them what they're looking for and explain in a letter otherwise how you manage finances.  Many people use a cash system where they with draw XX amount and allocate it to expenses like groceries, clothing, etc.  You can even include a print out of your budgeting system.   Do you keep receipts? If so they can show your expenses paid with the cash that's been withdrawn. 

Your system type can help people be more aware of nickel and diming themselves. It can decrease over spending.  Another way to do this is to open a joint account and place only the joint expenses money in there. Then you and your wife have your own accounts for singular purchases as well (money for clothing or extraneous) and a savings. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I am not sure I understand why people would use cash instead of credit. Use the credit card and then pay it in full next month with the cash that you were going to use!

Credit cards have many benefits!

You get a few more weeks to pay money back. You build up your credit score. If there are items that you purchase and want to return, you can dispute with credit card company if merchant refuses to give you your money back.

It is very difficult to to get a refund if you use cash. You are the one who will do all the legwork.

Other benefits of some credit cards are the rewards. I love getting cash backs!

5 hours ago, jakelake said:

I am not sure I understand why people would use cash instead of credit. Use the credit card and then pay it in full next month with the cash that you were going to use!

Credit cards have many benefits!

You get a few more weeks to pay money back. You build up your credit score. If there are items that you purchase and want to return, you can dispute with credit card company if merchant refuses to give you your money back.

It is very difficult to to get a refund if you use cash. You are the one who will do all the legwork.

Other benefits of some credit cards are the rewards. I love getting cash backs!

People sometimes have a harder time budgeting when they have a credit card.  If you say hey don't spend over $100 on groceries, if you only have $100 cash, you cant overspend. Yeah you realize what's important to have in your buggy and if you can do without the name brand items. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

People sometimes have a harder time budgeting when they have a credit card.  If you say hey don't spend over $100 on groceries, if you only have $100 cash, you cant overspend. Yeah you realize what's important to have in your buggy and if you can do without the name brand items. 

I don't want to turn this thread into credit card vs cash discussion. This is my mentality in this situation. It's just an easier method without having to do all the budgeting . It's not the best tool to use but you can limit somewhat your spending to it. I don't want to be a "cheapskate" to my spouse but sometimes it's difficult to put everything on the credit card and realize at the end of the month you are spending over your budget. I'm just a man like every other men who is not the best when comes to keep track of spending. If you give your husband $10 to buy pack of beer, that's all he can buy and not bring home all the other stuff. We do use credit card to purchase big items and to build our credit but it's a double-edge sword. Sometimes you just have to utilize the most primitive way to work your finance. 

Thank you everyone for all the comments. Hopefully, the USCIS will read the letter regarding this and understand. It's not a deal breaker since we have other supports but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot without seeing what others have been doing in this situation. 

My case is similar in some many points. USCIS has requested more evidence.  I got some documents such as Insurance cards with my husbands names and mine. Mortgage payments under both names,  but we don't have joined credit card. What I'm trying to say is that if you don't have a join back account maybe you have other documents showing  you and your spouse's names.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.