virgie6810

For Egyptian portal: status of American embassy

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
4 hours ago, Jody and Misho said:

I don't know.  It's kind of far out.....We were trying to schedule his medical appointment for the (then scheduled) July 1st appointment.  We had hopes the Embassy would be open by then.  The doctor kept insisting they needed a letter from the Embassy regarding interview.  For K1, this wasn't required before.  The hospital contacted the Embassy, then the Embassy cancelled our appointment, BUT insisted that all interviews were cancelled due to being closed.  I just wish there were some concrete answers.

I don’t remember anything about a letter being needed for the medical exam, but there isn’t a lot of communication about this whole process, in terms of detailed steps.  I’ve been finding out things as I go, sometimes by accident.  When the embassy will be opening and working again no doubt will depend on the COVID-19 situation in Egypt and what phase of reopening the country is in, etc.  My fiancé is in Luxor, which still has a curfew.  I appreciate any information we all can share about what is going on; this is very difficult.  Please keep posting any updates and I will do the same.  Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Everyone. Has anyone gotten any news this past week? No idea when they will open it appears. Whoever answers the FB page comments mentioned that those August dates were not cancelled as they hope to be open by then. Then when asked about those that were cancelled instructed them to book new dates. As far as I can see, no dates open so I don't think this person is at all related to the Consular staff. Good news, night curfew ended today and int flights back open on July 1st. 

15 hours ago, SETETA said:

Hi Everyone. Has anyone gotten any news this past week? No idea when they will open it appears. Whoever answers the FB page comments mentioned that those August dates were not cancelled as they hope to be open by then. Then when asked about those that were cancelled instructed them to book new dates. As far as I can see, no dates open so I don't think this person is at all related to the Consular staff. Good news, night curfew ended today and int flights back open on July 1st. 

15 hours ago, SETETA said:

Nothing, not a word. Where did you see the post about August dates not being canceled and to book new dates? Can you post the link or better yet post screen shots with link? I would like to see it.

I have seen people asking the US Embassy in Cairo on their Facebook page when they are going to reopen and they answer the same to everyone. "All routine consular services remain suspended. That includes all visa interviews. We don't have any estimate as to when we will be able to resume services. When we are able to resume routine services, we will announce that on our website and social media."  Which is pretty generic and not much different than what people are receiving via email. I don't know how well we can rely on the fb page honestly, we dont know who is answering. Intern? Officer? Social Media Manager? I feel the same about the email. I wish there was somewhere we can get information we know we can rely on. 

What bothers me the most is not that the embassy is closed (because its not surprising that embassies are closed here given COVID numbers in Egypt) but that there is zero communication and zero transparency. Even just a Facebook post once in a while saying they are monitoring the situation and etc etc etc. Im in Egypt  so this lack of communication by my embassy is even more keenly felt. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, NMHayek said:

Nothing, not a word. Where did you see the post about August dates not being canceled and to book new dates? Can you post the link or better yet post screen shots with link? I would like to see it.

I have seen people asking the US Embassy in Cairo on their Facebook page when they are going to reopen and they answer the same to everyone. "All routine consular services remain suspended. That includes all visa interviews. We don't have any estimate as to when we will be able to resume services. When we are able to resume routine services, we will announce that on our website and social media."  Which is pretty generic and not much different than what people are receiving via email. I don't know how well we can rely on the fb page honestly, we dont know who is answering. Intern? Officer? Social Media Manager? I feel the same about the email. I wish there was somewhere we can get information we know we can rely on. 

What bothers me the most is not that the embassy is closed (because its not surprising that embassies are closed here given COVID numbers in Egypt) but that there is zero communication and zero transparency. Even just a Facebook post once in a while saying they are monitoring the situation and etc etc etc. Im in Egypt  so this lack of communication by my embassy is even more keenly felt. It was a rep

It was a response to one of the replies on the FB page. You would have to check all the hundreds of comments to find it. However, here is another post attached saying something similar that I found easily. They are not giving one standard answer across platforms and all the answers provide no info on any plan for opening. So I would not take any social media posts as gospel. A few months ago, people were hearing estimates like mid of June or end of July in email replies. Anyone have any update by email? However, I have not heard of anyone who has seen any appts open at all. We are all keenly feeling the lack of transparency.

Screenshot_20200628-071904~2.png

Timeline

Here you go. This is from a person who asks about their K1 visa appt in August.  As you can see, it doesn't seem that there is any clear info. Have you contacted them lately?

Screenshot_20200628-074453~2.png

Screenshot_20200628-074501~2.png

1 hour ago, SETETA said:

Here you go. This is from a person who asks about their K1 visa appt in August.  As you can see, it doesn't seem that there is any clear info. Have you contacted them lately?

Screenshot_20200628-074453~2.png

Screenshot_20200628-074501~2.png

Thanks! Ya that’s what I’m wondering. Obviously the writer is giving outdated info since the calendar is closed (at least last I looked)  I’m also wondering if you made a appointment for the CR1 visa on the system if it’s valid and if not why would they make it an option to schedule the CR1 visa. It’s a mystery 

No I haven’t sent them an email since June 1 Bc they said contact them in July. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All, an update has been published on the Embassy Facebook and Website. Not exactly positive news but least there is some sort of communication I guess. Hope everyone is well. : https://eg.usembassy.gov/consular-services-update/

"The U.S. Embassy in Egypt has canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments – including diversity visas – through September 30, 2020.   The Consular section may provide emergency and mission-critical visa services as resources and local conditions allow.  If you have emergency travel, please contact us through www.ustraveldocs.com and we will make a determination on your case. We continue to review safe operating procedures and are assessing when we may reopen on a regular basis.  We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. If you are a visa applicant for any of the visa categories included in recent Presidential Proclamations about coronavirus-related measures on immigration, travel, or U.S. employment visas, please be sure to review that information on the White House website. (http://www.whitehouse.gov)."

Timeline
2 hours ago, NMHayek said:

Hello All, an update has been published on the Embassy Facebook and Website. Not exactly positive news but least there is some sort of communication I guess. Hope everyone is well. : https://eg.usembassy.gov/consular-services-update/

"The U.S. Embassy in Egypt has canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments – including diversity visas – through September 30, 2020.   The Consular section may provide emergency and mission-critical visa services as resources and local conditions allow.  If you have emergency travel, please contact us through www.ustraveldocs.com and we will make a determination on your case. We continue to review safe operating procedures and are assessing when we may reopen on a regular basis.  We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. If you are a visa applicant for any of the visa categories included in recent Presidential Proclamations about coronavirus-related measures on immigration, travel, or U.S. employment visas, please be sure to review that information on the White House website. (http://www.whitehouse.gov)."

Yeah we were all crying yesterday. Keep hoping!

Timeline

So I’m assuming we will have to reschedule our own appointments?  The embassy should reschedule them for us; how can we know when to schedule an appointment for when we don’t know when the embassy will be open again?  What are your thoughts, those of you who are dealing with the American embassy in Cairo?

Timeline

It is a waiting game. You can only schedule online for nonimmigrant. Immigrant applicants must be rescheduled by the embassy.

Just now, SETETA said:

It is a waiting game. You can only schedule online for nonimmigrant. Immigrant applicants must be rescheduled by the embassy.

The online portal still says no appointments available.

Timeline
Just now, SETETA said:

Although, K1 is non-immigrant, with immigrant intent.  Yesterday, I was told the embassy would contact us to re-schedule our interview.  I requested a "mission critical" interview, due to our earlier interview being cancelled.  I was told I did not meet emergency criteria.  I want to know what the Embassy considers "mission critical" as I have heard others (CR1) saying they also cannot get "mission critical" interview.

Timeline
Just now, Jody and Misho said:

Although, K1 is non-immigrant, with immigrant intent.  Yesterday, I was told the embassy would contact us to re-schedule our interview.  I requested a "mission critical" interview, due to our earlier interview being cancelled.  I was told I did not meet emergency criteria.  I want to know what the Embassy considers "mission critical" as I have heard others (CR1) saying they also cannot get "mission critical" interview.

I think the staff members in the Embassy answering the emails are not the usual Consular Officers. They most likely do not have a clue about the mission critical definition or the internal workings of the Consular section.

Timeline
1 minute ago, SETETA said:

I think the staff members in the Embassy answering the emails are not the usual Consular Officers. They most likely do not have a clue about the mission critical definition or the internal workings of the Consular section.

Well, somebody needs to know what's going on, rather than giving the wrong information!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jody and Misho said:

Well, somebody needs to know what's going on, rather than giving the wrong information!

Yes, it seems they are running on a skeleton staff and maybe they will return by end of September.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.