virgie6810

For Egyptian portal: status of American embassy

67 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, SETETA said:

Yes, it seems they are running on a skeleton staff and maybe they will return by end of September.

11 hours ago, Jody and Misho said:

Well, somebody needs to know what's going on, rather than giving the wrong information!

Regarding the date, its not a reopening date but that interviews are canceled till then, hopefully they will start to reschedule them after Sept 30 but they are not being transparent at all. So frustrating. My husbands medical exam expires in October so at this point looks like we will have to pay the money to redo it. 

I am hoping this date is correlating with the 3 step phased reopening that is outlined by the State Department but since they are not transparent we wont know till we know. 

I am very upset with all this as I am sure you all are too. As a US Citizen its ridiculous that I cannot get my husband his interview, he is not a criminal I should not have to beg for this. You could try emailing/calling the State Congressman/woman to raise awareness, I don't know if it will do much but hey doesn't cost anything to do it. 

Edited by NMHayek

Embassy just issued this email for those of you have signed up for their announcements. If you have not definetly sign up the STEP program through the State Department. I will include it here just in case. I put in BOLD and Large Capital Letters the part that talks about immigration. You can see it says till AT LEAST September 30th and will resume when resources and local conditions improve... so seems to indicate there is very little staff in the visa department. But who knows, nothing is said directly, always indirectly. 

Event:  EMBASSY OPERATIONAL STATUS

To comply with social distancing guidelines imposed by both the U.S. and Egyptian governments, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to provide only emergency services to U.S. citizens until further notice. Limited passport services can be provided on an emergency basis, which normally includes urgent travel.  If you require an emergency passport please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your upcoming urgent travel (purchased ticket).  We regret the inconvenience.

During the COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo established the email address CairoRepat@state.gov specifically to assist U.S. citizens requesting assistance or information about returning to the United States.  This email address will no longer be used to communicate with the Embassy.  Instead, if you require any emergency service, please send us an e-mail (with your confirmed travel) to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov so we can consider you for an emergency appointment.  For U.S. citizens in Egypt who wish to return to the U.S. but lack the financial means to do so, the U.S. Embassy may be able to offer some assistance.  You can inquire about this process by also sending an e-mail to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov.

Because of the availability of multiple international flights departing Egypt on commercial carriers, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo will no longer announce specific flights available to U.S. citizens.  Please check directly with the airlines or a travel agency for options.  We will continue to provide updates about travel and health conditions in Egypt, as well as other topics of concern to U.S. citizens in Egypt, including in regards to COVID-19. We strongly encourage you and all U.S. citizens in Egypt to register for STEP in order to automatically receive these messages from the Embassy.

Non-emergency services, including routine notarization services, remain suspended at this time.  The U.S. Embassy in Egypt has also canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments – including diversity visas – through at least September 30, 2020.  We will announce the resumption of scheduling for these services when resources and local conditions allow.

The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/  (Arabic only).  The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).

The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus.  

Actions to Take:

Assistance:

• U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)

5 Tawfik Diab St

Garden City, Cairo

EGYPT

+20-2797-3300

ConsularCairoACS@state.gov

https://eg.usembassy.gov

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
3 hours ago, NMHayek said:

Embassy just issued this email for those of you have signed up for their announcements. If you have not definetly sign up the STEP program through the State Department. I will include it here just in case. I put in BOLD and Large Capital Letters the part that talks about immigration. You can see it says till AT LEAST September 30th and will resume when resources and local conditions improve... so seems to indicate there is very little staff in the visa department. But who knows, nothing is said directly, always indirectly. 

Event:  EMBASSY OPERATIONAL STATUS

To comply with social distancing guidelines imposed by both the U.S. and Egyptian governments, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo continues to provide only emergency services to U.S. citizens until further notice. Limited passport services can be provided on an emergency basis, which normally includes urgent travel.  If you require an emergency passport please contact ConsularCairoACS@state.gov to request an appointment, and be prepared to provide proof of your upcoming urgent travel (purchased ticket).  We regret the inconvenience.

During the COVID-19 outbreak, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo established the email address CairoRepat@state.gov specifically to assist U.S. citizens requesting assistance or information about returning to the United States.  This email address will no longer be used to communicate with the Embassy.  Instead, if you require any emergency service, please send us an e-mail (with your confirmed travel) to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov so we can consider you for an emergency appointment.  For U.S. citizens in Egypt who wish to return to the U.S. but lack the financial means to do so, the U.S. Embassy may be able to offer some assistance.  You can inquire about this process by also sending an e-mail to ConsularCairoACS@state.gov.

Because of the availability of multiple international flights departing Egypt on commercial carriers, the U.S. Embassy in Cairo will no longer announce specific flights available to U.S. citizens.  Please check directly with the airlines or a travel agency for options.  We will continue to provide updates about travel and health conditions in Egypt, as well as other topics of concern to U.S. citizens in Egypt, including in regards to COVID-19. We strongly encourage you and all U.S. citizens in Egypt to register for STEP in order to automatically receive these messages from the Embassy.

Non-emergency services, including routine notarization services, remain suspended at this time.  The U.S. Embassy in Egypt has also canceled all routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments – including diversity visas – through at least September 30, 2020.  We will announce the resumption of scheduling for these services when resources and local conditions allow.

The U.S. Embassy in Cairo encourages U.S. citizens seeking COVID-19 medical information to reference the Government of Egypt’s Ministry of Health and Population’s social media accounts at https://www.facebook.com/egypt.mohp/  (Arabic only).  The Government of Egypt has also provided a COVID-19 dedicated hotline at 105 15335 or 15469 for additional inquiries (Arabic proficiency recommended).

The Embassy reminds U.S. citizens in Egypt to adhere to local quarantine and curfew measures to prevent the spread of the virus.  

Actions to Take:

Assistance:

• U.S. Embassy Cairo (Cairo, Egypt)

5 Tawfik Diab St

Garden City, Cairo

EGYPT

+20-2797-3300

ConsularCairoACS@state.gov

https://eg.usembassy.gov

At this point, I doubt any move at all even post Sept 30. If we are lucky, they will phase in gradually like other embassies around the world, starting over these months. But there is no indication this is the case. It's beyond frustrating. We have nothing we can do. We have a medical expedite. Two senators contacted the Consular section and we got the same generic answer. Not qualified as emergency and no routine services, you can apply by attaching xyz. It is copy paste. We even attached those docs! Same copy paste response. There will be no answers. One day, you will get an email for appointment. That's it. Keep waiting.

1 minute ago, SETETA said:

At this point, I doubt any move at all even post Sept 30. If we are lucky, they will phase in gradually like other embassies around the world, starting over these months. But there is no indication this is the case. It's beyond frustrating. We have nothing we can do. We have a medical expedite. Two senators contacted the Consular section and we got the same generic answer. Not qualified as emergency and no routine services, you can apply by attaching xyz. It is copy paste. We even attached those docs! Same copy paste response. There will be no answers. One day, you will get an email for appointment. That's it. Keep waiting.

Ya this is not acceptable and very frustrating. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
On 7/16/2020 at 7:29 AM, NMHayek said:

Ya this is not acceptable and very frustrating. 

Hello, 

Just wanted to share that since my fiance’s K1 visa interview was cancelled (it was to be on Aug. 18), I emailed the Cairo embassy to ask about rescheduling it, and they responded that I should keep monitoring the online system to reschedule it when they are open for scheduling, which might be the end of September.  I know that’s nothing new for any of us waiting; I just wanted to report what they said.  And can anyone tell me where to find the online system?  I’ve switched computers and I don’t remember the website for that.  Thanks in advance!

Timeline
42 minutes ago, virgie6810 said:

Hello, 

Just wanted to share that since my fiance’s K1 visa interview was cancelled (it was to be on Aug. 18), I emailed the Cairo embassy to ask about rescheduling it, and they responded that I should keep monitoring the online system to reschedule it when they are open for scheduling, which might be the end of September.  I know that’s nothing new for any of us waiting; I just wanted to report what they said.  And can anyone tell me where to find the online system?  I’ve switched computers and I don’t remember the website for that.  Thanks in advance!

cgifederal.secure.force.com

Edited by Jody and Misho

2 hours ago, virgie6810 said:

Hello, 

Awesome thanks for the update. Lets all keep reaching out and updating each other here, no matter how small the update might be. Makes us feel less alone in all this at least :) I see Jody and Misho gave you the website. I wish IR1 Visas could schedule via website... 

Edited by NMHayek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, just wanted to share a bit of good news in the immigration process that recently happened by the US government:

1. If like us, you have already done the medical exam before your interview was canceled, it looks like the DOS has extended the expiration date of the medical exam by one month (Tho this of course will only benefit us if they do start processing after Sept 30 and it moves fast). So in other words it looks like the medical exam is good for 7 months - of course confirm with embassy before u go to the appointment. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/one-month-extension-of-immigrant-visa-medical-examinations.html

2. The USCIS has delayed furloughs till August 31... hopefully this will give more time for funds or solutions to be found. Though this doesn’t directly effect us who are still in the consular process are the moment, it will effect us with Green Cards later. 
https://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/leahy-announces-that-uscis-is-postponing-furloughs-of-13000-public-servants-including-1109-in-vermont

3. US judge ordered the halt of the Public Charge Rule during the COVID Pandemic. I would still fill out the form and provide all information just in case, but really just one less thing to worry about, especially those who have been effected financially by COVID. There are two orders and one of them directly refers to the DOS consular processing 
https://www.nilc.org/2020/07/29/injunctions-block-public-charge-rules-amid-pandemic/

I hope this provides hope and good vibes  for your Eid week Or Just weekend (depending on ur religion) :) 

Now we just need the embassy to start doing routine services 🙏🙏🙏  Pray pray pray pray or positive vibes - whichever u prefer :) 

Timeline

What is going on with the Cairo Embassy??  I just read an email from the Embassy to someone asking about scheduling their IR1 interview and the Embassy told them to contact back at the END of October???  This is getting ridiculous.  

Timeline
11 minutes ago, virgie6810 said:

October?!  Where did you see the email?

On a WhatsApp group that I am in.  I will type it ver batim:

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that we did not resume operation yet at the Embassy, you may contact us end of October, to let you know the updates.

Regards,

21 minutes ago, Jody and Misho said:

On a WhatsApp group that I am in.  I will type it ver batim:

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that we did not resume operation yet at the Embassy, you may contact us end of October, to let you know the updates.

Regards,

Which whatsapp group is this? Is it for the interviews and appointment updates for the embassy in Egypt?. Is this something anyone can join? I would love to join.

OMG really? IDK the embassy stated appointments canceled till at least Sept 30 - didn’t actually say when they would start. This is crazy. Every month since March they been saying contact us later. Around the region things are opening idk why not Egypt. 

maybe it was a typo in the email - but maybe that’s wishful thinking 

Edited by NMHayek

Timeline

I wish they would be consistent.........would be nice to get the same answer from anyone we contact on the reopening/rescheduling!  That tells me we need to keep careful watch on that website:  it still could be end of September, unless we hear something official, imho.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.