MKJ119

Should we just get married?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I'm clueless about what the best option would be at this point because our plans were just to wait for the whole k-1 process to go through, so I never looked into anything else. My fiance just happened to be out here when the proverbial excrement hit the fan. About a week into his trip they declared this a pandemic, and then Wednesday he was supposed to fly back to Mexico, but we were hit with an earthquake and the airport was shut down and evacuated. So he's staying for now, I guess (honestly I'm so grateful to have him here with us during all of this). I don't even know if it would be an option for him to fly home as of today with everything going on with the US/Mexico border. He is a Venezuelan national with refugee status in Mexico, so who knows how that could fall through the cracks in a situation like this? His work is shutting down in Mexico for a few weeks anyway which buys us some time to figure this out. Technically he has six months on his tourist visa, so it's not like we'd be facing him overstaying for a while, but all of the uncertainty has me thinking why not get married? Is that even possible? Can you apply to adjust status from a tourist visa? I know I've heard that it's illegal to come here on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married, but that definitely wasn't the intention. This situation is scary and I want to marry him NOW. Haha!

I don't even know if any of these questions are even worth asking. There are just so many unknown factors going on with all of this. But if anyone has any advice for us, I'd love to hear it.

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

You can adjust if you think it’s the best fit for you now. Keep in mind that he won’t be able to work or leave until he has the AP/EAD Card. With the current situation who knows how long that will be. Could be a good year or more potentially so just keep that in mind 

5 minutes ago, MKJ119 said:

I'm clueless about what the best option would be at this point because our plans were just to wait for the whole k-1 process to go through, so I never looked into anything else. My fiance just happened to be out here when the proverbial excrement hit the fan. About a week into his trip they declared this a pandemic, and then Wednesday he was supposed to fly back to Mexico, but we were hit with an earthquake and the airport was shut down and evacuated. So he's staying for now, I guess (honestly I'm so grateful to have him here with us during all of this). I don't even know if it would be an option for him to fly home as of today with everything going on with the US/Mexico border. He is a Venezuelan national with refugee status in Mexico, so who knows how that could fall through the cracks in a situation like this? His work is shutting down in Mexico for a few weeks anyway which buys us some time to figure this out. Technically he has six months on his tourist visa, so it's not like we'd be facing him overstaying for a while, but all of the uncertainty has me thinking why not get married? Is that even possible? Can you apply to adjust status from a tourist visa? I know I've heard that it's illegal to come here on a tourist visa with the intention of getting married, but that definitely wasn't the intention. This situation is scary and I want to marry him NOW. Haha!

I don't even know if any of these questions are even worth asking. There are just so many unknown factors going on with all of this. But if anyone has any advice for us, I'd love to hear it.

You can marry and adjust.  Ofcourse he can't travel international without AP but I'm sure he isn't headed back to Venezuela and probably doesn't have mush to return to in Mexico.   You do have a little time to figure it out.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

He should stay.  

You should do your best to get married and file AOS before his authorized stay expires. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Okay, so I've done some more research on this. It sounds like it could be an issue if there is any doubt that he might have come here with the intention to stay. I was thinking about it, and I think we should be able to present enough evidence to show there's just no way that was his intention: 

• He came with only a backpack, as he always does, for a two week trip. 
  • He left everything: money, clothes, very important keepsakes - photos of his father who passed away, etc., his favorite pair of glasses. Literally everything behind in Mexico City. I will have to take a trip back to collect all of his stuff if he can't leave after we apply to adjust status.
  • He has plenty of correspondence with his work and his jiu jitsu class about coming back in two weeks. He would have received a severance package (and while the peso was still good) if he had quit his job. 
  • After he arrived, we still were taking steps to complete the K-1 process. I called and got the case number and we went through and completed the DS 160 together.

I really think we have enough to show that there's just no way he came here intending to stay. If anyone has any reasons why it would be a bad idea to do this, I want to hear all sides. 

@designguy @Paul & Mary @Mike E @little immigrant Thanks for the responses! I just want to make absolutely sure it's the right decision. I already started looking at dresses I could order online! We were already planning to do a quick legal ceremony anyway as soon as the K-1 went through and then a big reception later with family and friends. 

Also, I'm so sorry for everyone who is not with their loved one through this madness. I hope this isn't an insensitive topic. I know we are incredibly fortunate about the timing and I really hope things get under control soon or measures are taken to find a way to keep moving the immigration process during this.

2 minutes ago, MKJ119 said:

It sounds like it could be an issue if there is any doubt that he might have come here with the intention to stay.

Intent is determined at the POE.  Entering with just a backpack it a good thing.

Plan on you going to get his stuff in Mexico.  He wont be able to leave for 4 to 6 months after filing AOS/AP/EAD.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
On 3/21/2020 at 12:42 AM, MKJ119 said:

I am in the same position as you. My fiancé came here from Venezuela for a family anniversary party and was going to be here for 10 days decided to stay little longer and then got stuck here. She is on a B1/B2 Visa as well and is good until mid August but we are thinking the same thing. We already got our NOA2, and waiting for the interview dates but with everything going on we also feel it may not happen for a long time and thinking about just getting married and do an AOS. It's not illegal to get married, but it is frowned upon on a B1/B2 visa, but under the current circumstances I think your going to be okay. Who would have known there was going to be a Pandemic?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.