6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline

Hello! I have asked a few questions the forum here and this will be my last before sending it on Monday! 

When the Form I-864, part 6 item 7 asks to state your “current annual individual income”

My spouse is self employed, what should he put there? 

I have been getting mixed opinions and views and they are confusing me! 

If my current income is as stated on my most recent tax return (2019) should i put that number there or just leave it blank? 

some people are telling me to just guess a number.. how? My husband has no clue after defuctions what will his income be..

I would appriciate some inmput! 

Thank you guys! 

Edited by Sara & Kevin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You can’t just put any number there. Didn’t he file taxes the previous year? That should be a guide. If he’s running a business his income is not his revenue. Remember refusals are now the norm so it’s incumbent upon you to supply the right information to avoid making the reviewers work difficult.

I would input a number close to his most recent Adjusted Gross Income. If he has no clue about these things he should retain the services of an accountant. That’s what they are there for.

The USCIS actually has a few guidelines when it comes to proving an income amount for a sponsor that is self-employed or a business owner. The USCIS suggests that self-employed sponsors should attach the following photocopies of documents to their I-864, Affidavit of Support:

• Total and Complete Tax Return: All schedules associated with the federal return including Schedule C (Profit/Loss from Business), Schedule D (Capital Gains/Loss), Schedule E (Supplemental Income/Loss) and Schedule F (Profit/Loss from Farming).
  • Business Licenses and registrations.
  • Signed and dated statement about the nature of the business and the sponsors involvement.
  • Bank Statements for the previous 6 months.

Remember they are not tax auditors, they just want to get a reasonably accurate number to determine if the sponsor is in the financial position to support. Ultimately they’re looking at a general financial picture, not income alone so adding proof of assets and painting a good financial picture helps in these instances.

If for example you’re an engineer, they know the chances of you becoming a public charge are lower than if you just have a high school education.

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

You can’t just put any number there. Didn’t he file taxes the previous year? That should be a guide. If he’s running a business his income is not his revenue. Remember refusals are now the norm so it’s incumbent upon you to supply the right information to avoid making the reviewers work difficult.

I would input a number close to his most recent Adjusted Gross Income. If he has no clue about these things he should retain the services of an accountant. That’s what they are there for.

Remember they are not tax auditors, they just want to get a reasonably accurate number to determine if the sponsor is in the financial position to support. Ultimately they’re looking at a general financial picture, not income alone so adding proof of assets and painting a good financial picture helps in these instances.

If for example you’re an engineer, they know the chances of you becoming a public charge are lower than if you just have a high school education.

My husband is self employed, he has his buissnes.. 

So if I go by to what he made last year and kinda figure out what he will be making in this year.. 

He made $53,000 after defuctions in 2019 and his gross was $83,000 so he has an estimate gross income of $100,000 for 2020 and he thinks about $65,000-$70,000 he moght bring after planed deductions.. 

But he has no proff to back that out... He doesnmt know his actual income until he files his Taxes... 

Do you have any advice how to go about that? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sara & Kevin said:

But he has no proff to back that out... He doesnmt know his actual income until he files his Taxes... 

Do you have any advice how to go about that? 

Go back and read what I suggested again. It’s all there. I repeat he can use the previous year as a guide and attached the supporting documents I linked.

No reasonable reviewer will reject him if in the two previous years he made $80k, $90k and says this year he’s going to make $85k.  USCIS agents are not new at this, they know incomes for sole proprietors fluctuate and not confirmed until after filing. It doesn’t have to be exact, it has to pass the reasonableness test.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

He doesn't need to report 2019 until either he files 2019 or until the April 15th filing deadline.

Use the 2018 reported AGI as his current income.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

He doesn't need to report 2019 until either he files 2019 or until the April 15th filing deadline.

Use the 2018 reported AGI as his current income.

Thank you for your responce! 

My husband already has his 2019 taxes done so on the line for current income we will put his AGI from 2019 then! 

Thank you for your responce and this is what i needed so simple! 

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.