sm20

I'm lost...marriage process in rabat, morocco

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm new to this site. My fiancé (Morocco) and I (US) are getting married this summer in Rabat. We will apply for the CR1 immediately after I change my name.

About us:

- both of us have never been married or have any kids

- I work full time and remotely so we're fine for proof of support

- we met online in 2018, in person on two separate trips in 2019, then a third time again earlier this year

- the trip this year was for our engagement, which included my parents meeting his family in morocco

I'm curious to hear how the marriage process went for others, I've been reading a lot of horror stories :(

- how long did it take for you to complete the marriage process?

- my sister plans to witness when we're officially married if possible, will we know ahead of time (even the day before) when we can get married? do they set an appt to get married? or is it when we get approval from the judge, that's when we are married right then and there?

- is this generally accurate? I've been combing through a bunch of sources online and the process seems so different for everyone

1. get all the necessary docs and translations

2. go to consulate appt in casablanca for the Affidavit of Nationality and Eligibility to Marry form(s)

3. get it stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Ministry of External Affairs in Rabat

4. medical appts

5. police report

6. submit application to marry to an adoul to be certified

7. go to local courthouse marriage office to submit certified paperwork and wait until they tell you to return?

8. meet with an adoul who will ask you to sign a marriage contract

9. go to the police for clearance and wait for a report 

10. take everything to a family judge who will then marry or tell you to return?

11. get multiple copies/translations of everything and apostille everything

- any other advice or resources would be helpful!

Sorry for the long post. Thank you all in advance :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Welcome to VJ. :)

My husband is also from Morocco, though he came to the US on the K-1 visa. However, I have made many friends on here and on other sites that that gone through the full marriage process in Morocco. You are correct when you say the process is different for everyone. There seems to be no "standard" process in Morocco. Most people I know were able to marry in under 2 weeks, sometimes even within 1 week. It also helps if you come prepared (and your list of required documents and steps is accurate). Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the process, or if you would like the links to some FB groups that are specific to the Moroccan marriage and visa process. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to MENA regional forum; topic is about marriage procedures in Morocco.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
10 hours ago, RJandHamid said:

Welcome to VJ. :)

My husband is also from Morocco, though he came to the US on the K-1 visa. However, I have made many friends on here and on other sites that that gone through the full marriage process in Morocco. You are correct when you say the process is different for everyone. There seems to be no "standard" process in Morocco. Most people I know were able to marry in under 2 weeks, sometimes even within 1 week. It also helps if you come prepared (and your list of required documents and steps is accurate). Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions about the process, or if you would like the links to some FB groups that are specific to the Moroccan marriage and visa process. 

Thanks so much! I will be there for 6 weeks. I don't use fb, but my fiancé does, I'll have him check out the group in your comment signature

Timeline

Hi.  You are getting married in the city so hopefully you will not have any problems.  Just have your fiancé check with the court to see what you need to bring from US.  I had to bring birth certificate, marriage certificate (first marriage) and divorce certificate, local police clearance letter and a letter from my employer stating how much I make.  We got married in a small village and the Judge did NOT want us to get married to he made us come back day after day after day after day...… refusing to sign off on that date.  Turns out he wanted money and when that came his way he signed off.  Took us over two months to get married.  But I don't think that will be the case for you.  I heard a lot of people getting it done in two weeks.  Oh one thing I forgot - those documents I brought from US had to be translated.  So figure out your plan of action and use your time wisely.  And when you file your Cr1 petition be sure to front load the petition with evidence of your relationship.  Casa is a difficult consulate.  But it can be done.  My husband is here and a US Citizen now.  So start with your marriage and enjoy your time!  Let me know if there is anything I can help with.  People on this site helped me through the entire process - from getting married to getting Citizenship.  So I do my best to help when I can.  We've been married seven years.

Timeline
On 3/11/2020 at 8:18 PM, Oliversmom said:

Hi.  You are getting married in the city so hopefully you will not have any problems.  Just have your fiancé check with the court to see what you need to bring from US.  I had to bring birth certificate, marriage certificate (first marriage) and divorce certificate, local police clearance letter and a letter from my employer stating how much I make.  We got married in a small village and the Judge did NOT want us to get married to he made us come back day after day after day after day...… refusing to sign off on that date.  Turns out he wanted money and when that came his way he signed off.  Took us over two months to get married.  But I don't think that will be the case for you.  I heard a lot of people getting it done in two weeks.  Oh one thing I forgot - those documents I brought from US had to be translated.  So figure out your plan of action and use your time wisely.  And when you file your Cr1 petition be sure to front load the petition with evidence of your relationship.  Casa is a difficult consulate.  But it can be done.  My husband is here and a US Citizen now.  So start with your marriage and enjoy your time!  Let me know if there is anything I can help with.  People on this site helped me through the entire process - from getting married to getting Citizenship.  So I do my best to help when I can.  We've been married seven years.

same here 

judge wanted to be paid under the table /  would have been 100 dh (said my iRS transcript said i was single and i was a widow) i was a single taxpayer they use any excuse to get money

paying the 100 dh (10 USD ) would have been worth it as to extend my time there cost an additonal 550USD

if man is a muslim,  he will not a statement saying that he is muslim

we did not go to adoul / we did the paper signing at city clerk office and they required me to have an intrepreter

multiple copies of all is 6 copies and most expensive part of the whole process

make sure the USC does the police report close to leaving for morocco as many expire in 90 days

take a report of your income (IRS transcripts work)

Timeline
On 3/11/2020 at 8:18 PM, Oliversmom said:

Hi Oliversmom, thanks so much! My stay is booked for 6 weeks, but flexible, so I would ultimately stay however long it takes. For the police report, I am getting a FBI background check, is that enough or do you think I need a local one as well? I heard the Casablanca consulate is challenging, fingers crossed when we get to that stage.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:55 PM, JeanneAdil said:

same here 

judge wanted to be paid under the table /  would have been 100 dh (said my iRS transcript said i was single and i was a widow) i was a single taxpayer they use any excuse to get money

paying the 100 dh (10 USD ) would have been worth it as to extend my time there cost an additonal 550USD

if man is a muslim,  he will not a statement saying that he is muslim

we did not go to adoul / we did the paper signing at city clerk office and they required me to have an intrepreter

multiple copies of all is 6 copies and most expensive part of the whole process

make sure the USC does the police report close to leaving for morocco as many expire in 90 days

take a report of your income (IRS transcripts work)

Hi JeanneAdil, thanks for the tips! I also plan to bring a copy of my 2019 tax returns. I hope we don't have any issues with it, but we will try to be prepared. Did you need 6 copies of everything, or was it for just in case? Also, for the US docs, like a birth certificate, would I need 6 copies of the English originals or 6 translations to Arabic or both?

Now with everything going on in the world, we are just hoping and praying things get better so we can at least be with each other soon. As of now, Morocco has closed its borders. The US hasn't completely closed its borders, but who knows what will happen in the coming weeks.

Stay safe everyone and take care of yourself!

Timeline
14 hours ago, sm20 said:

Hi Oliversmom, thanks so much! My stay is booked for 6 weeks, but flexible, so I would ultimately stay however long it takes. For the police report, I am getting a FBI background check, is that enough or do you think I need a local one as well? I heard the Casablanca consulate is challenging, fingers crossed when we get to that stage.

Hi JeanneAdil, thanks for the tips! I also plan to bring a copy of my 2019 tax returns. I hope we don't have any issues with it, but we will try to be prepared. Did you need 6 copies of everything, or was it for just in case? Also, for the US docs, like a birth certificate, would I need 6 copies of the English originals or 6 translations to Arabic or both?

Now with everything going on in the world, we are just hoping and praying things get better so we can at least be with each other soon. As of now, Morocco has closed its borders. The US hasn't completely closed its borders, but who knows what will happen in the coming weeks.

Stay safe everyone and take care of yourself!

One English copy (6 in Arabic by certified translator and there are several in Casa-not cheap)

Timeline

My husband and I were married in Morocco in 2006.  Back then it took us 2 weeks.  We were very prepared but there's always a curve ball thrown in there.  I had to go back to the consulate and get a certified copy of my id/passport.  Neither of us had heard of this before.  The consulate hadn't either.  They charged me about $30 certify the id.  

Timeline
On 3/20/2020 at 1:47 PM, JeanneAdil said:

One English copy (6 in Arabic by certified translator and there are several in Casa-not cheap)

Thanks!

On 3/22/2020 at 3:34 AM, aminah said:

My husband and I were married in Morocco in 2006.  Back then it took us 2 weeks.  We were very prepared but there's always a curve ball thrown in there.  I had to go back to the consulate and get a certified copy of my id/passport.  Neither of us had heard of this before.  The consulate hadn't either.  They charged me about $30 certify the id.  

Thank you aminah, I will do that just in case then :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.