Greenbaum

MARCH 2020 K-1 NOA2 to NVC to Embassy

694 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TYosemite said:

Just to clarify for myself, my fiancé and I (my fiancé is the US citizen) were at the stage where our approved petition had been sent to the Consulate in Montreal from the NVC but arrived right after they closed so the consulate has it, they just haven't accepted into their system (my case number has been given but not logged into the system yet). 

We hadn't had any further contact from the consulate regarding an interview date obviously and our petition runs out on July 15th. I contacted the consulate (by email they're not answering their phones) and they told me they'll only extend if its deemed necessary AT my interview. We will know more when we are closer to when they open scheduling. 

I see a lot of people talking about renewing the letter of intent to marry however I'm being told that they only do that at the interview so I'm incredibly confused. opens,Each embassy is different and when Montreal opens I am sure they will address how they will handle the NOA2 extensions.

Is the letter of intent something I would just date and bring with me when I finally get my interview date?  Again, it may and may not be required. Nothing that you should be concerned at this time.

Is there anything I can do right now or should I just sit and let the petition run out and wait for the consulates to re-open? Yes.

A fiancé visa must be issued within four months from the date of approval of the fiancé petition by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services). If your appointment is later then the validity date, bring a signed and dated letter from your U.S. fiancé(e) stating that you both remain legally free to marry and that you intend to get married within 90 days of your arrival. E-mail or copies are acceptable.

9 FAM 41.81 N6.2 Validity of a K-1 Petition
(CT:VISA-2165; 08-21-2014)

An approved K-1 visa petition is valid for a period of four months from the date of USCIS action and may be revalidated by the consular officer any number of times for additional periods of four months from the date of revalidation, provided the officer concludes that the petitioner and the beneficiary remain legally free to marry and continue to intend to marry each other within 90 days after the beneficiary's admission into the United States. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Greenbaum, curious, as to the DHL Hack, how will we know that a package that shows up in search result is a package from NVC, as opposed to just something someone else happened to ship to the same country that day??   Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/26/2020 at 3:40 PM, TYosemite said:

Just to clarify for myself, my fiancé and I (my fiancé is the US citizen) were at the stage where our approved petition had been sent to the Consulate in Montreal from the NVC but arrived right after they closed so the consulate has it, they just haven't accepted into their system (my case number has been given but not logged into the system yet). 

We hadn't had any further contact from the consulate regarding an interview date obviously and our petition runs out on July 15th. I contacted the consulate (by email they're not answering their phones) and they told me they'll only extend if its deemed necessary AT my interview. 

I see a lot of people talking about renewing the letter of intent to marry however I'm being told that they only do that at the interview so I'm incredibly confused. 

Is the letter of intent something I would just date and bring with me when I finally get my interview date?

Is there anything I can do right now or should I just sit and let the petition run out and wait for the consulates to re-open?

Adding on to what other people have given you for answers.

The letter of intent is pretty much the same as the first time you sent it, only 'updated' with a new date that you still plan to get married. You bring that to your interview.

You havent heard anything because Montreal isn't processing them, when they open back up, you will get 2 'ready' dates (you will see this if you're stalking it everyday), when you see the second change --that is when the embassy sends out your packet 3. You then eventually get that packet 3, fill out what it asks for, email it back to them, and then they send you by email your packet 4 to book an interview -- ONLY then can you book the interview, not before.

13 hours ago, NewNJguy said:

Greenbaum, curious, as to the DHL Hack, how will we know that a package that shows up in search result is a package from NVC, as opposed to just something someone else happened to ship to the same country that day??   Thanks!

Unfortunately, the hack is a hack. It will give you only minimal information which is that the shipment contains X amount of cases. Yours could be in that batch. I have yet to see someone who has received their case number and not be in a shipment. Of course, you must fit in the shipping parameters with approval done by the Wednesday prior to the following Tuesday's shipping date to be on the current shipment.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Unfortunately, the hack is a hack. It will give you only minimal information which is that the shipment contains X amount of cases. Yours could be in that batch. I have yet to see someone who has received their case number and not be in a shipment. Of course, you must fit in the shipping parameters with approval done by the Wednesday prior to the following Tuesday's shipping date to be on the current shipment.

I understand the need to be proactive and to be in the know...but presently all embassies are still closed DHL shipments are not done...cases that have been received before closure of embassies have not been updated online...so no reason to bother on how it works as we know it there is no guarantee things will remain the same when/if embassies open for routine visa.

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

3 minutes ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

I understand the need to be proactive and to be in the know...but presently all embassies are still closed DHL shipments are not done...cases that have been received before closure of embassies have not been updated online...so no reason to bother on how it works as we know it there is no guarantee things will remain the same when/if embassies open for routine visa.

That's all that @NewNJguy is asking, how does the hack work in what information is valid. No harm in asking. :thumbs:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just reviving this from the dead for us MARCHers. Looking for opinions here, what is everyone’s opinions on when you will be with your fiancé in the USA? 2020,2021, beyond?

Again just looking for opinions well aware everything is closed...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
11 minutes ago, In4theJourney said:

Just reviving this from the dead for us MARCHers. Looking for opinions here, what is everyone’s opinions on when you will be with your fiancé in the USA? 2020,2021, beyond?

Mid '21 if I had to guess. Between restrictions and the subsequent backlogs, it's going to take awhile. 

On a positive note (sarcasm), F, M, and J Visa applications are beginning to be processed in Thailand... Glad students take precedent over fiance's and spouses 🙄

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 minutes ago, kappy66 said:

On a positive note (sarcasm), F, M, and J Visa applications are beginning to be processed in Thailand... Glad students take precedent over fiance's and spouses 🙄

I was privately thinking about this yesterday, if it’s not one thing it’s another. I guess all it takes is Harvard, Yale and other big snot universities to threaten suit. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, In4theJourney said:

I'm pretty annoyed tbh. But that's me. I know I can visit since Canadians can fly into the us, but I'm sure that the majority of us were supposed to be with them right now without having to go back to their own country.

Sadly, despite Canada doing super well for Covid cases, they're still unable to do visa processing for who knows what reason (Montreal is completely open) and haven't given a non-generic answer as to why or even an estimate as to when.

So when? I have no idea at this point.

15 hours ago, In4theJourney said:

It's looking like it will be years when you consider all that is going on right now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Trutta said:

It's looking like it will be years when you consider all that is going on right now.

It won’t be years since embassies are beginning to open. Let just keep hoping that k1 visa should be handled on time. Although there maybe slight delay due to backlogs.

Timeline
18 hours ago, In4theJourney said:

Considering that the montreal consulate announced yesterday its still an undetermined time and they're unable to open, it's probably going to be a while yet for me. I'd love for it to be 2020 but I feel like 2021 is probably more likely at this point. It's going to depend heavily on when the consulates/embassies open in each country and how they're going to handle the backlog of cases.  At least us Canadians can still fly into the USA, I'm thinking about that for September but I'm also keeping a close eye on case numbers because I don't really feel comfortable going through airports and risking infecting myself or my fiance who's immunocompromised. 

3 hours ago, Fumero said:

It won’t be years since embassies are beginning to open. Let just keep hoping that k1 visa should be handled on time. Although there maybe slight delay due to backlogs.

FYI. Their time and your time are different. CR-1 will go first followed by K-1's. We are already seeing this from some of the early embassies who are opening. Just saying.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.