5thousandmiles

back again with another LDR

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Group!

Honestly don't think I ever posted before. But a quick intro... I was in a LDR for 3 years , USA to UK.  It all fell apart in 2016 and looking back I am glad it did! That door closed so another could open. Fast forward to September 2019 and I've been single for 3 years, dating and frustrated with the entire process. I decide I'm going to just have fun, and this leads me to talking to someone visiting Florida from the UK (what are the odds). What was suppose to be ONE night turned into a few days spent together in Orlando. Fast forward to now, February 2020 we just wrapped up a week long visit and I am more certain than ever about our future. I am finally buckling down and focusing on getting the K1 application sent out. I never wanted to do LD again, deff not international, but here we are! You never know what life has in store for you.

Being that your significant other can visit frequently are you sure you want to go the K1 route over the spousal visa? The K1 would have way too many disadvantages in this circumstance.

Congrats, btw.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Honestly haven't given a spousal visa any thought. With my ex we started the K1 process and figured I'd go that route this time, too.

Our visits won't be too frequent as I have limited paid time off with my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for posting.  Good luck.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome back. Sometimes when we stop looking we find what we need. Good luck with your journey.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 2/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, Unlockable said:

Being that your significant other can visit frequently are you sure you want to go the K1 route over the spousal visa? The K1 would have way too many disadvantages in this circumstance.

Congrats, btw.

Please can you enlighten me on this. How is the K1 visa disadvantageous in the circumstance of the Beneficiary being able to visit frequently? Thanks.

38 minutes ago, TiEy said:

Please can you enlighten me on this. How is the K1 visa disadvantageous in the circumstance of the Beneficiary being able to visit frequently? Thanks.

Because the K1 will limit the beneficiary on things they can do when they come to the US. 

*Once the K1 is issued. The beneficiary will lose their visitor visa or ESTA/VWP

*The K1 beneficiary will not be able to work after they arrive in the US on the K1 until they file and receive work authorization. The work authorization is taking 4 to 6 months to receive.

*The K1 beneficiary can not leave the US after they arrive on the K1 until they get travel authorization. That is also taking 4 to 6 months.

*In some cases, K1 beneficiaries were not even able to obtain driver's licenses until they got their green cards. Again, 4 to 6 months. 

*Also, the K1 beneficiary has to file AOS which is a whole new process that cost an additional $1200. The spousal visa does not have AOS.

So you see how a K1 beneficiary can be sort of trapped at home with very little they can do to contribute to the household.

When a person comes on a spousal visa, they have the ability to work, travel, and obtain a license the very first day they arrive in the US. 

Most people chose the K1 so they can "be together sooner". They don't like that the spousal visa can take a year. But if the beneficiary has the capability to visit, they can do so while they are waiting on the spousal visa. So they have the advantage of visiting if they miss each other, and then get a visa that makes them all of the privileges of a permanent resident from the time they enter the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

@TiEy

Check out the thread below. It is an example of problems with the K1. The poster choose the K1 and is now having problems because the beneficiary may miss out on a job because his Employment Authorization has not been received. This is why the K1 is a disadvantage. Problems like this are common with the K1.  Yes, the spousal visa takes long but that can be remedied with visits. 

Timeline

@Unlockable

Thanks for explaining the disadvantages to the K1. That's interesting for sure!  We are fortunate to be in a position where we kind of expected those wait times so we're prepared for it. My SO is ready to be a stay at home husband, bless him lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
3 hours ago, Unlockable said:

@TiEy

Check out the thread below. It is an example of problems with the K1. The poster choose the K1 and is now having problems because the beneficiary may miss out on a job because his Employment Authorization has not been received. This is why the K1 is a disadvantage. Problems like this are common with the K1.  Yes, the spousal visa takes long but that can be remedied with visits. 

Thanks for the explanation. I am sort of regretting choosing the K-1 option. My fiance and I were so focused on us being together as fast as possible. Anyway, it is what it is. Too late for us to change. thanks again.

54 minutes ago, TiEy said:

Thanks for the explanation. I am sort of regretting choosing the K-1 option. My fiance and I were so focused on us being together as fast as possible. Anyway, it is what it is. Too late for us to change. thanks again.

No problem. And for what its worth. My (now) wife and I did the K1 and in hindsight, we regret it also. We have advised friends on the downfalls of the K1 and her closest friend is choosing the Spousal visa instead. She has a B2 and her and her fiance was here with US for Christmas.

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I found that the K-1 visa was the quickest option in 2012 and have not regretted it. But I can see your point on the spousal visa.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12