eirinlinn

Will our circumstances of engagement cause us problems with the k1?

5 posts in this topic

I suppose I’m having anxiety and overthinking this but... my fiancé proposed to me at his brothers wedding during the bouquet toss and I mentioned this in the section of all of our meetings in the section on i-129f. 
will they (Uscis) have a problem with the venue of our engagement or should I just amend that part and leave it out of the petition? 

(his brother and sister in law gave him permission to do that beforehand  before any judgey comments!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, eirinlinn said:

I suppose I’m having anxiety and overthinking this but... my fiancé proposed to me at his brothers wedding during the bouquet toss and I mentioned this in the section of all of our meetings in the section on i-129f. 
will they (Uscis) have a problem with the venue of our engagement or should I just amend that part and leave it out of the petition? 

(his brother and sister in law gave him permission to do that beforehand  before any judgey comments!)

There’s no problem with that. Also it’s not required to have an official proposal. USCIS requires that you met in person within 2 years of filing and your both legally eligible to marry and you both intend to get married to each other after arriving to USA within 90days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
43 minutes ago, eirinlinn said:

You should be fine stating that. i can relate overthinking it while you prepare to file. Only thing I would suggest is, if you want to send pictures trying to support the fact carefully select those that do not make it look like you were getting married. If you are not sending any pictures at all then You should be fine :) Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

The only issue weddings cause is if you took pictures at someones wedding, because they may think you are already married. Its happened before apparently. 
Meeting at a wedding or proposing at a wedding shouldn't be an issue. You don't have to tell them about the engagement if you don't want to, just how you met in the last two years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed with the post above. The engagement itself is no issue, just don't supply any wedding pictures so there is no question on what is going on. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.