dhassan

N400 Tax returns

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi

I am about to file for naturalization. 

I got my green card in 2013 - but did not move here permanently till 2016. I have over 32 months of stay (over 1000 days) in the US. and have filed 3 tax returns till now. I am missing 2 tax returns because I was in my home country because I had to wait for my wife to get the permanent visa. I wasn't working in the US as well. 

Should I write "YES" and explain why I didn't file the 2 tax returns or just file it now before filing for naturalization on zero income?

If you worked in your foreign country while waiting for your beneficiary’s visa, you MUST declare this and file taxes. If you haven’t you must file back taxes.

You need to meet all requirements to file as well. https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/educators/naturalization-information

visa Issued

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

For that two years, it depend on how much you get. If your income is below limit , then you don't need to worry. If it over the limit, then you need to file.

For future readers, if you are resident outside for a lengthy period, it is worth filing returns to maintain ties to the US even if you don’t meet the minimum income required to do so. I was out of the US for around 11 months, and was questioned in my n400 interview on how ties to the US had been maintained during that time (at that point I had no home etc here), and the officer accepted the fact that I had filed tax returns as evidence of that. I am not sure if a retroactive filing would help with that angle. Remember that even if you have been let back in by CBP on your green card, the n400 interview can (and in my case did) re-examine whether residency was maintained.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:16 AM, dhassan said:

Hi

I am about to file for naturalization. 

I got my green card in 2013 - but did not move here permanently till 2016. I have over 32 months of stay (over 1000 days) in the US. and have filed 3 tax returns till now. I am missing 2 tax returns because I was in my home country because I had to wait for my wife to get the permanent visa. I wasn't working in the US as well. 

Should I write "YES" and explain why I didn't file the 2 tax returns or just file it now before filing for naturalization on zero income?

Following!! I have same issue. Pls tell me how you do yours :(

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Annabanana316 said:

Following!! I have same issue. Pls tell me how you do yours :(

Hi

I am filing the tax returns for the years that I was not in the US. 
Its going to be a 1040 I believe, will go to IRS office to get it stamped. 

Also I am going to get the 'transcripts' for all the other tax returns that I have filed while living and working here in the US. You can do it online.

It takes 5-7 business days to get it.

I am assuming that once you get the interview call get all documents with you to prove that you intended to stay here or have connections with the US.
I opened up a bank account and have it till today. I had valid reasons (or relevant) reasons to be out of the US ... I doubt they'd consider anything valid such as marriage and selling off property.... but will still keep it. 

finally asap.... before you have to pay around $1200 instead of $725 

On 1/30/2020 at 3:17 AM, dhassan said:

Hi

I am filing the tax returns for the years that I was not in the US. 
Its going to be a 1040 I believe, will go to IRS office to get it stamped. 

Also I am going to get the 'transcripts' for all the other tax returns that I have filed while living and working here in the US. You can do it online.

It takes 5-7 business days to get it.

I am assuming that once you get the interview call get all documents with you to prove that you intended to stay here or have connections with the US.
I opened up a bank account and have it till today. I had valid reasons (or relevant) reasons to be out of the US ... I doubt they'd consider anything valid such as marriage and selling off property.... but will still keep it. 

finally asap.... before you have to pay around $1200 instead of $725 

Thank you!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.