HeartOfAllThings

Selective Service System, college and citizenship

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't remember there being information about being required to sign up with Selective Service System in any step of my immigration process. The name is only slightly familiar but aparently it's a pretty big deal. I am 29 and now just learning, after trying to apply for financial aid for college, that I may be ineligible for that, or a US citizenship, having not signed up for SSS when I was required to.

Little background, I am a permanent resident, thanks to my wife. I entered the US March of 2016, three months before my 26th birthday. This timeframe might help my case (SSS is for males 18-25) but I also was a legal permanent resident for two years before that, 2012-2014. (Why I had it twice is probably irrelevant to the discussion)

Matter at hand is I now aparently have to try and prove I was unaware of the requirement. It is then up to the financial aid office(?) to make a decision. As for obtaining citizenship, I'm not sure anything can be done.

Can there? That's my question. Has anyone encountered the same issue and done anything to remedy it? For being eligible for financial aid, and/or US citizenship?

Thanks!

Timeline

More specific question for anyone who went thru this: my college asks that I provide a letter from SSS stating if I was registered or not. The request form for that letter says, complete this form only if —insert list of requirements, the one I'm asking about is: "if you wish to make the case that you were exempt from registering". But I'm almost certain I was not exempt. But I do need that letter from them for my case with financial aid.

Don’t know about college funding implications. 
I don’t understand how people miss this tbh. No one in our family had to sign up yet we saw the requirements for those who do a few times during our immigration process. 
you definitely should have signed up from what you said. My understanding is that this bars you from becoming a citizen until you turn 31, if this is wrong someone feel free to correct. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok small chance but worth a shot. Call SS and give them all your info. Address of the first place you lived when you moved here. USCIS sometimes registers new PR  (they did my oldest before he even turned 18) 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

I checked with their online tool and they have no records for me. Thanks though. As for 31 years old, I did read about that in passing and will look into it more, thanks. Main concern currently is figuring out financial aid. It is up to the financial aid office, if they believe that me not registering was not intentional. Wish me luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
55 minutes ago, HeartOfAllThings said:

I checked with their online tool and they have no records for me. Thanks though. As for 31 years old, I did read about that in passing and will look into it more, thanks. Main concern currently is figuring out financial aid. It is up to the financial aid office, if they believe that me not registering was not intentional. Wish me luck!

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register/Benefits-and-Penalties

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/04/02/failing-register-draft-women-court-consequences-men/3205425002/

Not sure it is "up to how sympathetic the financial aid office guy/gal feels towards me". It's about the law - nobody will bend the law because they are sympathetic to you plight.

Consult a lawyer. I think the "free advice from an immigration forum from well-meaning strangers" has taken you as far as it should go.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, HeartOfAllThings said:

Non of my boys (3 of them) show up on the online tool. You need to call them. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

On 1/15/2020 at 1:34 PM, HeartOfAllThings said:

This might help. 

https://www.finaid.org/students/selectiveservice.phtml

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

A modern I-485 has a section which are required to sign which says that you acknowledge that USCIS will register you with selective service.  

My understanding is that it has been this way for well over ten years.  

So based on that, you agree in writing to register.  So your obligation was done.  

FOIA time.  IOW you need a copy of your first I-485 that let your first I-551.  Send that in with your N-400 and declare victory.  

failing that: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/AdjStatusFormI-485_090700.pdf

thus says that since the year 2000, the I-485 says you will be auto registered.  

Edited by Mike E

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

A modern I-485 has a section which are required to sign which says that you acknowledge that USCIS will register you with selective service.  

My understanding is that it has been this way for well over ten years.  

So based on that, you agree in writing to register.  So your obligation was done.  

FOIA time.  IOW you need a copy of your first I-485 that let your first I-551.  Send that in with your N-400 and declare victory.  

failing that: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/pressrelease/AdjStatusFormI-485_090700.pdf

thus says that since the year 2000, the I-485 says you will be auto registered.  

I didn’t see where OP mentioned adjusting as opposed to entering on an immigrant visa? If he did, great. If not, my recollection is that the DS260 (DS230 back in the day of paper forms) has a note somewhere telling you of the need to sign up once you enter, but does not offer to do it automatically for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I didn’t see where OP mentioned adjusting as opposed to entering on an immigrant visa? If he did, great. If not, my recollection is that the DS260 (DS230 back in the day of paper forms) has a note somewhere telling you of the need to sign up once you enter, but does not offer to do it automatically for you.

That may be. OP has gone radio silent so we might never know.  

With regard to age 31 and citizenship; indeed if one fails to register for the draft, the soonest one can apply is age 31.  You still need a letter from Selective Service. You should also include a statement as to why you failed to register.  

Timeline

Not getting notifications anymore. Had been a long time since I posted here. Thanks all for the input! I had capitulated but some of the answers had me dig more.

By "it's up the the financial aid office", I'll double check but the process is as I explained, I can still apply for financial aid IF I can prove to them that I did not willfully not sign up. Not sure how to word that better, lol. 

I did go through AoS. I did file an I-485. I went back and looked at the instructions and info about the form directly from USCIS and it does say that they automatically transfer applicants information for SSS to sign them up. I did not have a SSN at the time so that could be why their online tool, which requires me to enter my SSN, doesn't show anything. Another user did mention their sons are signed up but nothing shows up on the online tool.

I'll call the SSS bureau on Monday. Thanks again for all of your input.

At the very least I, if I wasn't automatically signed up for whatever reason, I can show the I-485 form and that should help with acquiring student aid.

Will post an update tomorrow. Thanks all.

Timeline

Very thankful I do not reside in a state that requires SSS to get a driver's license. Then again I would have been promoted to sign up when I applied for mine, but I feel for those that find out too late for whatever reason.

It looks like while Michigan doesn't require SSS 'membership' to obtain a DL, but they do include signing up directly on the application form, from what I read. If I wasn't signed up through my I-485 form, this might be another saving grace. Anyway, sinal word will be with the SSS office tomorrow over the phone.

Timeline

Last question. To obtain a letter from SSS, you have to send a request form. The instructions SPECIFICALLY say not to send said form unless you believe you were not required to sign up(only happens if you are disabled, or were hospitalized or incarcerated for the entirety of the time you were 18-25). I'll check with them on that as well, I might just be reading it wrong. Stuff like this is why I worked with a lawyer even though I could still do it all myself with proper reading and prep 😵😕

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.