msmarie0

previous green card holder wants to visit US

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

My sister in law lives in Jamaica. She previously held a US Green Card that she abandoned about 6 years ago. (She had a very young son in Jamaica who's visa was denied so she went back home to raise him) 

Is it possible for her to get a visitors visa? She does not want to come back here to live, just visit family. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sure, she can apply for a B2.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Has she filed the I 407?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Why was the kid denied? Custody issues?

14 minutes ago, msmarie0 said:

no she has not filed the i407 ... does she have to do that before attempting to get a visiting visa?

it would have been better to do this rather than just leave.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
15 minutes ago, msmarie0 said:

no she has not filed the i407 ... does she have to do that before attempting to get a visiting visa?

Yes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, msmarie0 said:

She did not get pregnant until after the process had been started for her and her siblings. She gave birth before they received the approval.

That’s not a reason for denial. What was the basis of the green card petition for her? Parent, if so citizen or LPR, what was her age?

Edited by SusieQQQ

she is the grandchild of an lpr. she was 16 when the process started and about 21 when it was finally finished. They did not have the money for another application so after she came she tried to apply for a visiting visa for her son so he could live with her part time and his father part time- that was denied, so she went home to be with him. 

Thank you for answering my question... I'll let her know she needs to file i407

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

File the I-407 then she can apply for a B visa.  The key to approval will be how strong her ties are to Jamaica, like property ownership, apartment lease, steady job, commitments to family, financial stability, etc.  If her ties to Jamaica are strong her chances for a B are greater.  The fact that she previously had a green card won't make much difference, but the family ties she has in the US will make it more difficult to get a B approval.

5 minutes ago, carmel34 said:

File the I-407 then she can apply for a B visa.  The key to approval will be how strong her ties are to Jamaica, like property ownership, apartment lease, steady job, commitments to family, financial stability, etc.  If her ties to Jamaica are strong her chances for a B are greater.  The fact that she previously had a green card won't make much difference, but the family ties she has in the US will make it more difficult to get a B approval.

wow ok.. thank you so much for this info!!

34 minutes ago, msmarie0 said:

she is the grandchild of an lpr. she was 16 when the process started and about 21 when it was finally finished. They did not have the money for another application so after she came she tried to apply for a visiting visa for her son so he could live with her part time and his father part time- that was denied, so she went home to be with him. 

Thank you for answering my question... I'll let her know she needs to file i407

Ah, that makes a lot more sense why it was denied, they applied for a tourist visa for purpose of living in the US... hopefully they won’t take this as precedent that she wants to do the same again now.

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

but the family ties she has in the US will make it more difficult to get a B approval.

THIS.

If you get to the visa interview have documentation ready.  A LOT.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.