laylalex

Trump anti-impeachment protestors disrupt Adam Schiff at Armenian Genocide Recognition event

30 posts in this topic

Whatever side of the political debate you may be on about impeachment, this is just incredibly disrespectful to the memories of the 1.5 million victims of the Armenian genocide. They should have kept the protests outside. I'm from the town over from Glendale and these people are my neighbors and friends. I would feel precisely the same way if the representative speaking was anti-impeachment and pro-impeachment people came in and disrupted the event. 

A town hall recognizing strides toward getting the U.S. government to recognize the Armenian Genocide was usurped this weekend by protestors angry with Rep. Adam Schiff for taking a leading role in House Democrats' quest to impeach President Donald Trump.

Schiff has represented Glendale, a suburb of Los Angeles and one of the country's largest Armenian-American communities, in the U.S. House of Representatives since 2001. The community has long pushed for the U.S. government to recognize the Armenian Genocide, but faced pushback from people concerned it could weaken the United States' strategic relationship with Turkey.

At the Glendale Public Library on Saturday, Trump supporters wielded "DON'T IMPEACH" signs, heckling and booing Schiff as he began to talk about the years-long effort to get Congress to acknowledge the 1915 mass killings of more than 1.5 million Armenians as genocide.

"This is an event that’s honoring 1.5 million victims of the Armenian genocide. If you’re choosing to interrupt this event, please leave!" said Ara Khachaturian, the moderator of the event and editor of the Armenian-American news publication the Daily Asbarez. "I will not tolerate anyone disrespecting the memory of my grandfather and the memory of 1.5 million grandfathers."

But the protestors were undeterred. They started a "Liar!" chant to protest Schiff's actions as the Chair of the House Intelligence Committee, which oversaw the investigation into Trump's dealings with Ukraine that form the heart of the impeachment inquiry.

This excerpt doesn't include the fact that there was a scuffle that had to be broken up by police between protestors and attendees. Trust me, the Armenian community isn't necessarily pro-impeachment -- there is a high level of support for Trump in the community. These people were here to honor their ancestors. Politics doesn't belong inside this room. 

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/12/15/trump-supporters-disrupt-adam-schiffs-armenian-genocide-event/2653891001/

2 hours ago, laylalex said:

Whatever side of the political debate you may be on about impeachment, this is just incredibly disrespectful to the memories of the 1.5 million victims of the Armenian genocide. They should have kept the protests outside. I'm from the town over from Glendale and these people are my neighbors and friends. I would feel precisely the same way if the representative speaking was anti-impeachment and pro-impeachment people came in and disrupted the event. 

This excerpt doesn't include the fact that there was a scuffle that had to be broken up by police between protestors and attendees. Trust me, the Armenian community isn't necessarily pro-impeachment -- there is a high level of support for Trump in the community. These people were here to honor their ancestors. Politics doesn't belong inside this room. 

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/12/15/trump-supporters-disrupt-adam-schiffs-armenian-genocide-event/2653891001/

I completely agree with you that it was in bad taste to do this sort of thing at a event about the Armenian genocide. Which is a event that in the Armenian community is still very very fresh to them. 

But I do have to wonder about the outrage because it's not like the so called tolerant Left hasn't done the same thing at other events. Also Schiff doesn't do alot of events out in the Burbank/Glendale area. So this event was good way to show their displeasure

14 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I completely agree with you that it was in bad taste to do this sort of thing at a event about the Armenian genocide. Which is a event that in the Armenian community is still very very fresh to them. 

But I do have to wonder about the outrage because it's not like the so called tolerant Left hasn't done the same thing at other events. Also Schiff doesn't do alot of events out in the Burbank/Glendale area. So this event was good way to show their displeasure

I agree 100% that the protestors should have been at the event, but there were, I think, two things that could have been done here. First, Schiff could have done a separate town hall where I ABSOLUTELY think this sort of thing would be acceptable. The other would have been for the protestors to stay outside -- they were outside already, and they could have stayed there. Did they have a constitutional right to do what they did, without getting the beatdown from the Armenians? Yes. (And lol, I think you *know* what that can be like -- you do not want to mess with the Armenians!) But you can be totally right in expressing your First Amendment rights and still cross a line. They should have had more respect. This would be kind of like Schiff showing up at an event marking Kristallnacht and protestors doing the same thing. The message gets lost in what is -- I think -- justifiable outrage at whether the location for the protest is tasteless.

11 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can't protest Adam Schiff, it's at an Armenian event! And as you know, respect the Armenians is what matters to the tolerant left! Which is precisely why one of their favorite pundits is a notorious Armenian genocide denier who made a show with a name giving homage to the people committing the Armenian genocide!

Fh3HJQv.jpg

:pop:

13 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

You can't protest Adam Schiff, it's at an Armenian event! And as you know, respect the Armenians is what matters to the tolerant left! Which is precisely why one of their favorite pundits is a notorious Armenian genocide denier who made a show with a name giving homage to the people committing the Armenian genocide!

Fh3HJQv.jpg

Also forgot, Cenk is running for Katie Hill's seat right next door to Adam. :whistle:

I sure hope he found the time to go to this event and show respect for the Armenians, maybe set up a "Young Turks" booth where they can tolerantly debate whether or not the genocide actually happened. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

10 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I agree 100% that the protestors should have been at the event, but there were, I think, two things that could have been done here. First, Schiff could have done a separate town hall where I ABSOLUTELY think this sort of thing would be acceptable. The other would have been for the protestors to stay outside -- they were outside already, and they could have stayed there. Did they have a constitutional right to do what they did, without getting the beatdown from the Armenians? Yes. (And lol, I think you *know* what that can be like -- you do not want to mess with the Armenians!) But you can be totally right in expressing your First Amendment rights and still cross a line. They should have had more respect. This would be kind of like Schiff showing up at an event marking Kristallnacht and protestors doing the same thing. The message gets lost in what is -- I think -- justifiable outrage at whether the location for the protest is tasteless.

You got that right.... You do not mess with the Armos at all because they are one big homogenous group when it comes to outsiders, not to mention Glendale is ran by them now almost completely. The new mayor is a Armo and that as my friend said "seals the deal in regards to the take over of the city". Which I have many friends who work for that city. Also if you want some bomb ### Mediterranean food there is a Syrian Armenian place on the border of Glendale/Burbank I can tell you about. 

It was bad taste overall and I am pretty ashamed by it tbh with you because they could have had more class and stayed outside.

16 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Fh3HJQv.jpg

That's sad because I know many people who are just 1 generation removed from the Armenian genocide who had parents that were in the middle of it. Also I had a kid on the youth soccer team I coached whose dad is a Armenian documentary filmmaker who went around recording interviews with the last remaining victims of the genocide.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I agree with the sentiment. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  It was in poor taste but it has become the new norm that the  Democrat nutjob started by doing the exact same thing on more occasions then one can count. Want it to be stopped then don't do it to others? 

Also out of the many articles I have read about this always omits that it was Turkish that committed the genocide yet never hear them brought up and if we not going to mention them then why even bring it up?

15 minutes ago, luckytxn said:

IAlso out of the many articles I have read about this always omits that it was Turkish that committed the genocide yet never hear them brought up and if we not going to mention them then why even bring it up?

You can tell you have never really talked to any Armenians because they will tell you how it was the Turkish that did it and they were led at the time by "The Young Turks". Not to mention Cenks anchor is a Armenian and constantly gets dogged on by other Armenians on why she is on that show.

Edited by Cyberfx1024

19 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Fh3HJQv.jpg

8 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Also forgot, Cenk is running for Katie Hill's seat right next door to Adam. :whistle:

I sure hope he found the time to go to this event and show respect for the Armenians, maybe set up a "Young Turks" booth where they can tolerantly debate whether or not the genocide actually happened. 

I don't think you are familiar with Glendale. This was an insult to the Armenian community, and they take it very seriously. We're not talking about Cenk (who I think is a buffoon btw). The genocide transcends the political spectrum in the Burbank/Glendale/SGV area. There are ways of doing this that aren't as insulting. As I mentioned, the Armenians are generally pro-Trump. This kind of stunt can have considerable blowback. 

17 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

He is running for office up in the SCV area and taking alot of heat for what he said like 15 years ago on his podcast. The TYT booth would get demolished by the Armenians in no time because they tend to be bigger on average and alot of them are very muscular not to mention hairy as well

12 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I don't think you are familiar with Glendale. This was an insult to the Armenian community, and they take it very seriously. We're not talking about Cenk (who I think is a buffoon btw). The genocide transcends the political spectrum in the Burbank/Glendale/SGV area. There are ways of doing this that aren't as insulting. As I mentioned, the Armenians are generally pro-Trump. This kind of stunt can have considerable blowback. 

Except they're pro Trump people, which means they're not outrage seeking/pearl clutching SJWs. The invocation of outrage in this context of "blowback" is non-applicable. Clearly the appeal of this article, and coincidentally, the vast majority of "outrage" farming media pieces, is the demographic who are most susceptible to this mannerism.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

You can tell you have never really talked to any Armenians because they will tell you alot how it was the Turkish that did it and they were led at the time by "The Young Turks". Not to mention Cenks anchor is a Armenian and constantly gets dogged on by other Armenians on why she is on that show.

Oh I know all about and the other genocides the Turkish have perpetuated on other peoples, Kurds, etc. These animosities in that part of the world against different peoples are a powder keg and at an important NATO member than Turkey. We do not want to be in the middle of that Chit when it all blows up for sure but some of these people here want a friggin United States regional base right in the smack dab middle of it all. I would agree to do it only understanding that we are allowed to use Nukes if needed for protection.

I was also just trying to say that there were a lot of articles on this and not one time is Turkey mentioned so I thought that it was futile to bring it up at all. Understanding that someone from a family or people that had to suffer as much as any have in human history would feel different so God Bless them.

Edited by luckytxn

1 minute ago, luckytxn said:

Oh I know all about and the other genocides the Turkish have perpetuated on other peoples, Kurds, etc. These animosities in that part of the world against different peoples are a powder keg and at an important NATO member than Turkey. We do not want to be in the middle of that Chit when it all blows up for sure but some of these people here want a friggin United States regional base right in the smack dab middle of it all. I would agree to do it only understanding that we are allowed to use Nukes if needed for protection.

They (the Turks) are talking about closing Incirlik AB in Turkey which is a key NATO airbase. They aren't to happy with us these days and the same is vice versa in regards to them. During the fake coup even a couple years ago they shut down power to the airbase for a few days because they said that we were helping the perpetrators. You didn't hear it that much in the news but I had a buddy of mine who was working on that base at the time who was telling me about it.

8 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Except they're pro Trump people, which means they're not outrage seeking/pearl clutching SJWs. The invocation of outrage in this context of "blowback" is non-applicable. Clearly the appeal of this article, and coincidentally, the vast majority of "outrage" farming media pieces, is the demographic who are most susceptible to this mannerism.

Really, ask @Cyberfx1024. I'm obviously not being clear enough to you. This could be VERY harmful to Trump's reputation in this important community. This isn't an "outrage farming" piece. This is straightforward reporting.