Dashinka

Leaked Email: Threat Sent To GW Law Deans Calls For Prof. Turley’s Removal

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Tolerance on display.

Leaked Email: Threat Sent To GW Law Deans Calls For Prof. Turley’s Removal

December 4, 2019

https://saraacarter.com/leaked-email-threat-sent-to-gw-law-deans-calls-for-prof-turleys-removal/

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

I wonder if the same person sent an email to Stanford to nominate Karlan for professor of the year?

How is this a "threat"? It's someone calling for Prof. Turley's resignation. Does this person have the power to demand a resignation? It seems like a much more sensational headline than what's actually in the email.

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, laylalex said:

How is this a "threat"? It's someone calling for Prof. Turley's resignation. Does this person have the power to demand a resignation? It seems like a much more sensational headline than what's actually in the email.

I the easily triggered Trumpism echo chamber, any scrap of paper is assault, any hearing is a lynching.

22 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Incorrect, it is not someone calling for his resignation, it is demanding he lose his job, because he didn't tow the "orange man bad" parade in this hearing.

"He should be removed from his position immediately"

I trust you will act appropriately and reprimand this sad excuse of a man"

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

1 minute ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Incorrect, it is not someone calling for his resignation, it is demanding he lose his job, because he didn't tow the "orange man bad" parade in this hearing.

"He should be removed from his position immediately"

I trust you will act appropriately and reprimand this sad excuse of a man"

Fine, if you want to be pedantic about it. :P Someone was calling for his removal and a reprimand. Let me rephrase that then.

How is this a "threat"? It's someone calling for Prof. Turley's removal and reprimand. Does this person have the power to demand a removal and a reprimand? It seems like a much more sensational headline than what's actually in the email.

Jeez, people have told my manager I should lose my job because I didn't hop to it and take care of them immediately or in a way they liked. I still have my job. :) If every time someone complained about another person's ability to perform their job, that other person actually lost their job, we'd have a much higher unemployment rate. I'm trying to figure out how one cranky email is going to doom Prof. Turley (who I thought did a good job yesterday) to a life without work. 

18 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Fine, if you want to be pedantic about it. :P Someone was calling for his removal and a reprimand. Let me rephrase that then.

How is this a "threat"? It's someone calling for Prof. Turley's removal and reprimand. Does this person have the power to demand a removal and a reprimand? It seems like a much more sensational headline than what's actually in the email.

Jeez, people have told my manager I should lose my job because I didn't hop to it and take care of them immediately or in a way they liked. I still have my job. :) If every time someone complained about another person's ability to perform their job, that other person actually lost their job, we'd have a much higher unemployment rate. I'm trying to figure out how one cranky email is going to doom Prof. Turley (who I thought did a good job yesterday) to a life without work. 

I've had deranged lefties contact my job before when I used my work computer to make what were harmless political posts like I am now, telling my boss (the VP) I should be fired, I'm a white supremacist, and so on. Thankfully, nothing happened (he knows me personally, also knows my wife, who isn't white), but I was advised to use a VPN, which I do now. It's a threat because its coercive, and this is precisely how authoritarian cancer culture has been behaving. It's not the same kind of threat as, say, violence (at the lowest threshold of a "threat"), but this action itself is disproportionate to what occurred. Does Turley deserve to be fired for not towing an anti-Trump narrative during a hearing? I guarantee you this person is not the only one to demand his firing.

Also, it's not "pedantic", when in the obvious context of them no longer being employed, resignation and removal (firing) are complete opposites to one another in meaning. Do they have the power to remove them? Absolutely. There's been countless situations where this sort of coercion has resulted in lost jobs, lost business, and so on. There's a reason I call it cancer culture. It's not reasoned discourse, it's malicious attacks on someone's livelihood, all for the terrible crime of disagreeing with someone politically. 

Lastly, I'm not worried about headlines (I'm sure they are playing up the threat aspect), when I can read the letter and make my own conclusions without anyone else's help. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

26 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

I've had deranged lefties contact my job before when I used my work computer to make what were harmless political posts like I am now, telling my boss (the VP) I should be fired, I'm a white supremacist, and so on. Thankfully, nothing happened (he knows me personally, also knows my wife, who isn't white), but I was advised to use a VPN, which I do now. It's a threat because its coercive, and this is precisely how authoritarian cancer culture has been behaving. It's not the same kind of threat as, say, violence (at the lowest threshold of a "threat"), but this action itself is disproportionate to what occurred. Does Turley deserve to be fired for not towing an anti-Trump narrative during a hearing? I guarantee you this person is not the only one to demand his firing.

Also, it's not "pedantic", when in the obvious context of them no longer being employed, resignation and removal (firing) are complete opposites to one another in meaning. 

Lastly, I'm not worried about headlines (I'm sure they are playing up the threat aspect), when I can read the letter and make my own conclusions without anyone else's help. 

I also use a VPN, so I get you. I have been doxxed before years ago and had people threaten to show up at my work and do something to me. It was frightening. I try to be more careful these days because it happened at a time when I was already kind of fragile. I am sympathetic to what happened to you, because it really is scary.

But I think there's a real difference between someone saying nasty things about you on the internet and making threats to "do" something to you (terrifying, because I was living on my own back then), and someone writing a strongly worded email about your fitness for your job. This reads like essentially a fart in the universe, in my opinion, and clearly you disagree. We can disagree! :) Prof. Turley isn't going to lose his job. It takes a LOT to remove a tenured professor, probably a lot more than you or me losing our jobs. I'm really racking my brain trying to figure out how writing an email saying, I think this guy is poo and you should fire him is disproportionate. Are we not allowed to voice our opinions about others? Again, who is this email writer that it would go anywhere but the circular file?

I can also read (despite going to a second-tier Ivy) and I what I see here is someone firing off what is known in Britain as a "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" letter. My ex-husband is particularly fond of writing these to what he considers to be "leftist" papers like the LA Times, NY Times, etc. but he has never had one published.

I made my own conclusions, too, and they aren't the same as yours. That is okay. I am certain I am right as you are certain you are correct. That is fine. 

I also apologize for using the wrong word when I chose resign. My amended phrasing is what I mean though.

Edited by laylalex

Timeline
1 hour ago, laylalex said:

So demanding someone lose their livelihood based on not towing the Leftist narrative is not a threat?  You do know that Turley is not a Trump supporter right?  

Timeline
14 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I also use a VPN, so I get you. I have been doxxed before years ago and had people threaten to show up at my work and do something to me. It was frightening. I try to be more careful these days because it happened at a time when I was already kind of fragile. I am sympathetic to what happened to you, because it really is scary.

But I think there's a real difference between someone saying nasty things about you on the internet and making threats to "do" something to you (terrifying, because I was living on my own back then), and someone writing a strongly worded email about your fitness for your job. This reads like essentially a fart in the universe, in my opinion, and clearly you disagree. We can disagree! :) Prof. Turley isn't going to lose his job. It takes a LOT to remove a tenured professor, probably a lot more than you or me losing our jobs. I'm really racking my brain trying to figure out how writing an email saying, I think this guy is poo and you should fire him is disproportionate. Are we not allowed to voice our opinions about others? Again, who is this email writer that it would go anywhere but the circular file?

I can also read (despite going to a second-tier Ivy) and I what I see here is someone firing off what is known in Britain as a "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" letter. My ex-husband is particularly fond of writing these to what he considers to be "leftist" papers like the LA Times, NY Times, etc. but he has never had one published.

I made my own conclusions, too, and they aren't the same as yours. That is okay. I am certain I am right as you are certain you are correct. That is fine. 

I also apologize for using the wrong word when I chose resign. My amended phrasing is what I mean though.

That depends of course, I wonder when the allegations will surface of Turley being a rapist, child molester, or any other false allegation that could ruin him just because he did not let bias hatred dictate his testimony.

21 minutes ago, laylalex said:

i can remember yesterday also

5 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

So demanding someone lose their livelihood based on not towing the Leftist narrative is not a threat?  You do know that Turley is not a Trump supporter right?  

I think writing a strongly worded email is a reasonable reaction to being incensed about something. A threat implies, in my book at least, that someone has the power to carry out an act, or to have an act carried out. Who is the writer? We don't know. It could be a threat, or it could not. What is the appropriate reaction? Not writing? Not expressing oneself? Again, I see this as a mere puff of anger, sound and fury, signifying nothing, as the saying goes. And yes, I know Prof. Turley doesn't support Trump. I also said that I thought he did a good job yesterday. :) 

6 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

That depends of course, I wonder when the allegations will surface of Turley being a rapist, child molester, or any other false allegation that could ruin him just because he did not let bias hatred dictate his testimony.

That's jumping the gun. Let's see where this goes, if anywhere. I'll keep tabs on it, like I keep tabs on the fake motorcade. :) 

(PS: being accused of being a rapist or child molester without any merit isn't just kept to one side or another.)

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

i can remember yesterday also

Oh Nature Boy. ❤️ 

2 hours ago, laylalex said:

I think writing a strongly worded email is a reasonable reaction to being incensed about something. A threat implies, in my book at least, that someone has the power to carry out an act, or to have an act carried out. Who is the writer? We don't know. It could be a threat, or it could not. What is the appropriate reaction? Not writing? Not expressing oneself? Again, I see this as a mere puff of anger, sound and fury, signifying nothing, as the saying goes. And yes, I know Prof. Turley doesn't support Trump. I also said that I thought he did a good job yesterday. :) 

That's jumping the gun. Let's see where this goes, if anywhere. I'll keep tabs on it, like I keep tabs on the fake motorcade. :) 

(PS: being accused of being a rapist or child molester without any merit isn't just kept to one side or another.)

Oh Nature Boy. ❤️ 

An appropriate reaction is criticizing them, even suggesting they clarify their position in contrast to the professor's? There's a near infinite amount of ways, including not even bothering to contact their employer, maybe writing Turley a letter himself, because there was nothing that happened that necessitated contacting this person's employer. He was not speaking on behalf of his employer.

It's one thing to joke about it in the offhand, but if I actually called your employer and suggested they fire you, following your political posts here, you wouldn't be okay with that, wouldn't be playing this down as "a strongly worded email", you'd rightfully consider it coercive, malicious, and threatening. It doesn't need to be physically "violent" to be a threat, it's intimidating someone, behaving in a threatening (harmful) manner, it's making them fearful of doing something perfectly normal which is expressing political views. Trying to ruin someone's life because they disagree with your political views is insanely disproportionate, and just insane in general.

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

It's unfortunate, too, because people like Glenn Greenwald, Michael Tracey, very left wing journalists, who have my respect for their integrity, reflexively get likened to "Russian agents/assets" or "Putin puppets" every single time they criticize behavior from people they largely agree with politically.  The left need to take a look at how ridiculous they've been acting. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds