Orangatang

Master Hearing when overstaying a tourist visa(merged)

36 posts in this topic

UPDATE: 

We had our court date and everything went super smoothly. We have a continued court hearing in July 2020. This courtdate will most likely get pushed and only be in communication with writing between the lawyer and I.

The $1,500 investment in a lawyer was worth it. It just makes the entire process more straight forward. My wife got her Authorization to work through her Asylum application.

Once the I-130 & I-130A gets approved we will file for I-485. The lawyer said we can wait until then to file because we must wait for I-130/I-130A is approved first.

She was in removal preceding's during this court hearing in Jan 2020. The lawyer admitted to her 4 reasons on the notice to appear and than handed the I-130 application receipt to the judge. It took all of 5 mins while waiting 2 hours for the judge to start the court and get through other cases. 

I e-filed which made it so simple. I got my IOE number that same night I filed.

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO FILE FOR EXEMPTION: You need to state these laws in your example to become exempt from a non legal marriage during removal precedings in a pdf and attach it online or mail it in. You will be DENIED if you do not send this in with an explanation to your legitimate relationship/marriage and how you met. 

This must be in your explaination or your I-130 / I-130 A will not be approved. Laws have recently changed.

It has been explained to me that pursuant to §204 (g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and Title 8 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) §204.2 (a) (iii) the petition I filed on behalf of my spouse cannot be approved because the marriage on which the petition is based occurred after November 10, 1986 and while my spouse was in exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings, or judicial proceedings.

§204.2(a)(iii) Marriage during proceedings – general probation against approval of visa petition. A visa petition filed on behalf of an alien by a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident spouse shall not be approved if the marriage creating the relationship occurred on or after November 10, 1986 and while the alien was in exclusion, deportation, or removal proceedings or judicial proceedings relation thereto.  Determination of commencement and termination of proceedings and exemptions shall be in accordance with § 245.1(c)(9) of this chapter, except that the burden in visa petition proceedings to establish eligibility for the exemption in § 245.1(c)(9)(iii)(F) of this chapter shall rest with the petitioner.

(A) Request for exemption.  Not application or fee is required to request an exemption.  The request must be made in writing and submitted with the Form I-130.  The request must state the reason for seeking the exemption and must be supported by documentary evidence establishing eligibility for the exemption.

In accordance with Title 8 CFR §204.2 (a)(iii)(A) I am hereby requesting an exemption to the approval bar for the following reason(s):

EXPLAINATION...

I further understand that I must provide clear and convincing evidence that the marriage is bona fide.  I must submit documents which establish that the marriage was entered into in good faith and not entered into for the purpose of procuring the alien’s entry as an immigrant.

Signature and date (Does not need to be notarized per attorney)

I hope this helps many people to come. Thank you for listening and reading.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very happy you decided in the end to retain a lawyer rather than face it on your own.

Hope the i-130 gets approved.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

3 hours ago, Going through said:

Very happy you decided in the end to retain a lawyer rather than face it on your own.

Hope the i-130 gets approved.

Thank you. Me as well. I am sure it will. There may be some back and forth but all of it will be solved online since I e-filed. Should be straight forward. I made a check list and checked it twice. 

I will keep everyone updated for knowledge sake. 

• 7 months later...

UPDATE:

Our I-130 and I-130A were approved August 4th, 2020!! 7 months after filing December 31st, 2019. No interview due to COVID-19.

We will be filing a I-485 next with other supporting docs (such as work authorization under I-485, etc). I will be filing it in the mail by myself (signature delivery - with UPS). We will request a FINAL hearing instead of a MASTER hearing. 

The judge at the final hearing will decide our fate. I may decide to retain my lawyer for the final hearing at the cost of $1,600.

Thank you for all the help as this process can be confusing and highly expensive if you do not know what you are doing. 

I hope this helps someone that comes along and finds this post that was or is in the same situation as me. God Bless America.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kenya
Timeline

wow, what a story!

AOS

08/24/2020 - Sent Concurrent Filing for I-130 & I-485 (inc. I-765 & I-131) to Chicago Lockbox via FedEx

08/26/2020 - Application Received by USCIS

09/25/2020 - Debit Card charged by USCIS

09/28/2020 - Received I-797C Rejection Notice in the Mail (reason: outdated I-765 form)

09/29/2020 - Received Text Message Receipts (I-485, I-130, I-131)

10/05/2020 - Received Hard Copy Mail Receipts (NOA?) (I-485, I-130, I-131)

10/12/2020 - Sent new I-765 form

10/14/2020 - New version of I-765 received in Chicago

03/10/2021 - Notice of Deficiency (Missing I-693 Medical Form)

06/25/2021 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter

07/23/2021 - Biometrics Appointment at Norfolk VA USCIS Office

07/23/2021 - 485 & 765 statuses changed to "Initial Review"

07/29/2021 - Interview Ready to Be Scheduled

08/13/2021 - Interview Scheduled for September 21st

09/21/2021 - Interview at USCIS Norfolk VA

09/21/2021 - Email saying “card produced and mailed”

09/24/2021 - Approval email sent for I-485

09/28/2021 - Green Card mailed by USCIS (email notification)

09/29/2021 - Green Card delivered to mailbox (also email notification)

10/01/2021 - I-765 rejected because “benefits were obtained via other means”

13 Months Total, No Lawyer or assistance besides USCIS website and VisaJourney, you can do it too!!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thanks for keeping us updated. Not too many people do that. Your story will help others in similar situation for sure.

I wish you both good luck in your immigration adventure!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.