Unstoppable02

Abroad Married couple starting the process soon...help plz?!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Hi all! I'm new here. Also, a newlywed. A little background about us: My husband and I met in the Republic of Moldova when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in October 2017. We continued to date for 22 months and decided to get married.  After I finished my Peace Corps  service, we got married that next week: July 31, 2019, on Aero Island, Denmark. Now that we’re married, we are currently saving up money for the immigration process. Him and I are both abroad, but long distance from each other. He’s in Moldova until next year and he’ll be working in the UK or Ireland. He does have a Romanian ID and is currently getting his Romanian Passport. I am working in different African countries for the next 2 years.  We’ll see each-other this December and then every 3-4 months afterwards. The problem(s) is/are, I'm not sure if I should get a lawyer or not. I received mix information from people who have gone through this process. I have found a lawyer, but have yet to pay for her service as I am waiting. The second issue is that I'm not sure how to time this process. My job is a 2 year term(Aug 2021) and if I am wanting to stay on with the organization, something can be arranged. My higher ups expressed that positions will available by the time I finish my term. However,  my main goal is to attend graduate school once my term is done, but I want my husband's immigration process to be approved in order to come back with me. I've heard the process can range from a year to 15 months or even longer.  To summarize my questions/concerns; Is it better to hire a lawyer or go with out? And when should I start the process in order to bring my husband over after my completed work term/ Graduate school start date?

Thank you in advance,

Very Respectfully,

Unstoppable02

Hello!

There are many people on VJ that have not used a lawyer, my husband and I included. We did consult lawyers but since finding this forum we had the confidence to do it alone!

I would suggest getting a lawyer if you have a very complicated case ...

Otherwise, if its straight forward save your money and do it yourself. No one will put in the time and effort into your petition and visa but you. 

When should you start the process? That's a tough question. One requirement for a spousal visa is that the US citizen has domicile or intent to re-establish domicile plus the financial resources (you may need a joint sponsor). You can also delay how long it takes at the NVC etc.

If you want to bring him back in 2021 August, maybe start the process 12-15 months before that time. 

This site is great for guides so my advice would be to read the guides and all topics!

Good luck!

Our Visa Journey:

2 April 2018: Married in Santa Ana, California 💒

6 June 2019: Birth of our daughter 👶👨‍👩‍👧

14 October 2019: Sent I-130 package via AusPost 📮 

18 October 2019: NOA1 received - sent to Texas Service Centre :D

24 October 2019: USCIS processed filing fee 🤑 waiting game 🕰️

22 January 2020: Andy moved back to the USA😞 🇺🇸 - re-establish domicile & to get a job 👨‍⚕️

23 February 2020: Petition transferred from Texas Service Centre to Nebraska Service Centre 😞

15 May 2020: I-130 petition approved! 😭😍 Date changes leading up to the approval were: 1 May, 12 May, 13 May. 

16 May 2020: Received NVC email, paid all fees. Waiting for fees to process so we can upload and submit all documents

19 May 2020: Immigrant visa Fees PROCESSED; affidavit of support fee PROCESSED 

28 May 2020: Submitted VISA application, civil documents & affidavit of support documents. Patiently awaiting DQ. 

2 June 2020: Email received from NVC stating that we have been Documentary Qualified and that they will liaise with US Consulate in Sydney for Interview 🐨

27 June 2020: Expedite request submitted 🤞

7 July 2020: Expedite request APPROVED! 😃😭

15 July 2020: Email received advising of interview date and time. 
20 July 2020: Medical i: n Melbourne CBD 🏥     
28 July 2020: US visa interview at US consulate Sydney - refused 221(g) issued. Request for joint sponsor 😞

31 July 2020: uploaded joint sponsor to NVC, emailed consulate 

5 August 2020: emailed received advising they have received the joint sponsor 

7 August 2020: case i0n “administrative processing” 🤞

10 August 2020: visa ISSUED 😭 

12 August 2020: passport and visa in hand!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I would say start the process now, then delay at nvc as long as you need. Then after the interview you can also delay a couple of months depending on when your husband has his medical. If you start too late, you may not have finished this process by the time you want to move back to the US. For example, if you get Nebraska Service Center like I did, then the approval of the petition only takes almost a year. We are currently 15 months in this process and still have a couple of months more to go. You could also be lucky and get a faster service center but unfortunately you don’t know until you send your petition. 

About getting a lawyer, as the other poster said, you don’t need one if your case is not complicated and you take the time to read all official instructions. Also, here in this website you can find guides for everything you need, and if you have specific questions you can ask. most of us do the process ourselves. 

A lawyer may be helpful for you since you do not have a permanent address. I really dont normally suggest them.  Or unless you have a trusted friend or family member in the USA who also doesn't mind helping you.  Mail will be sent to you and it's important to have someone who can check on it. 

Otherwise the process itseld is fairly straightforward.  I would start sooner than later.  You can delay at the 2nd stage more easily to control your timeline. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.