feito/feita

venezuela visa issues

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, hope i am clear with my question.

I am in a relationship with a venezuelan woman. I am wondering about the possibilites of a k1 visa for her, or even how to hope for one since we no longer have people in the embassy there? In addition, because travel from US to there is banned I cant go there to see her now. Worse, her passport is about to expire (04/20) so she cant travel to another country for a meeting. The delay for her to get another is over a year, IF THEY WOULD EVEN GIVE HER ONE. (she said the goverment is not wanting to give them out because too many people are leaving the country.)  Anyone here have any recent experience or direct knowledge of this situation and advice?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa DO I Need, from K1 P&P - as nothing has been started yet and the OP is researching.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

5 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

~~Moved to What Visa DO I Need, from K1 P&P - as nothing has been started yet and the OP is researching.~~

I know exactly what visa i would need. as i said in the post it would be a K1.
my question was not about the required visa, but about the process of getting one with the current situation in venezuela so dont understand why you moved this.

Edited by feito/feita

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline
25 minutes ago, feito/feita said:

Hello, hope i am clear with my question.

I am in a relationship with a venezuelan woman. I am wondering about the possibilites of a k1 visa for her, or even how to hope for one since we no longer have people in the embassy there? In addition, because travel from US to there is banned I cant go there to see her now. Worse, her passport is about to expire (04/20) so she cant travel to another country for a meeting. The delay for her to get another is over a year, IF THEY WOULD EVEN GIVE HER ONE. (she said the goverment is not wanting to give them out because too many people are leaving the country.)  Anyone here have any recent experience or direct knowledge of this situation and advice?

Hello. I'm Venezuelan and I understand everything that is happening to you both. I recommend work in getting her passport ready to be able to travel as soon as possible. I renewed my passport in about 3 month, I know it's a lot of paper work, but it will be better if you start now. After that, meet in another country different from Venezuela, my fiance and me met in Italy, he proposed me there, we took awesome pictures and made our I-129F "Petition for an Alien Fiance(e)". Don't worry about the Venezuelan embassy being closed, you can apply in any embassy around the world, but most commonly Venezuelan cases are taking place in Bogota, Colombia (where me and my fiancee are applying). Good luck! You both can do it! Start as soon as possible to be with your fiancee as soon as possible. ❤

event.png

5 minutes ago, CarolinaVenezuela said:

Don't worry about the Venezuelan embassy being closed, you can apply in any embassy around the world, but most commonly Venezuelan cases are taking place in Bogota, Colombia (where me and my fiancee are applying).

More specifically, K and immigrant visas for Venezuelan residents are being processed by Bogota. One cannot apply for those ones at just any consulate.

https://ve.usembassy.gov/visas/

On March 11, 2019, the Department of State announced the temporary suspension of operations of U.S. Embassy Caracas and withdrawal of diplomatic personnel. All consular services are suspended. Immigrant visa applicants should contact IVBogota@state.gov for additional instructions.  Nonimmigrant visa applicants can apply at any U.S. embassy or consulate in another country. For more information regarding applying for nonimmigrant visas, please visit travel.state.gov.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

16 minutes ago, CarolinaVenezuela said:

Hello. I'm Venezuelan and I understand everything that is happening to you both. I recommend work in getting her passport ready to be able to travel as soon as possible. I renewed my passport in about 3 month, I know it's a lot of paper work, but it will be better if you start now. After that, meet in another country different from Venezuela, my fiance and me met in Italy, he proposed me there, we took awesome pictures and made our I-129F "Petition for an Alien Fiance(e)". Don't worry about the Venezuelan embassy being closed, you can apply in any embassy around the world, but most commonly Venezuelan cases are taking place in Bogota, Colombia (where me and my fiancee are applying). Good luck! You both can do it! Start as soon as possible to be with your fiancee as soon as possible. ❤

Thank you for your post. When did you ally and receive it in 3 months. She recently received her daughters, it was delayed 13 months

Edited by feito/feita
wording correction

Timeline
1 minute ago, feito/feita said:

Thank you for your post. When did you ally and receive it in 3 months. She recently got one for her daughter that was delayed 13 months

I asked for it in February 2019 and got it in May 2019. Mine had a lot of pages in blank, and it was going to expire in July 2019, so what they did is that they stamped my passport to make it legally for 2 years more, and they didn't gave me a new passport because mine had enough blank space. I traveled with it and there wasnt any problems. The problem in Venezuela about passports is that they are missing the material to do them and the process is not efficient, you do your papers to ask for it, and then you relax and wait. So better so start soon.

event.png

Also note the US Dept of State is accepting the 5-year announced extension on Venezuelan passports.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Venezuela.html

Effective, June 7, 2019, Venezuelan passport validity was extended an additional five years  past the date of expiration printed in the passport. Venezuelan passport holders who have already received an extension or “prórogga” will have the validity period extended by five years from the end date of the extension. NVC will accept all Venezuelan passports, valid or expired, so long as it is still considered valid after adding five years to the printed expiration date.

Timeline
15 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Also note the US Dept of State is accepting the 5-year announced extension on Venezuelan passports.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Venezuela.html

Effective, June 7, 2019, Venezuelan passport validity was extended an additional five years  past the date of expiration printed in the passport. Venezuelan passport holders who have already received an extension or “prórogga” will have the validity period extended by five years from the end date of the extension. NVC will accept all Venezuelan passports, valid or expired, so long as it is still considered valid after adding five years to the printed expiration date.

This is true! Excellent explanation 

event.png

16 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

"holders who have already received an extension"  But they need an additional stamp of some sort?

2 hours ago, feito/feita said:

"holders who have already received an extension"  But they need an additional stamp of some sort?

Please re-read it, the ones who already have an extension get another 5 years on top of that, the ones without get 5 years added onto the expiry of the date printed in the passport itself. The extract says "still considered valid after adding five years to the printed expiration date."

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
30 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Please re-read it, the ones who already have an extension get another 5 years on top of that, the ones without get 5 years added onto the expiry of the date printed in the passport itself. The extract says "still considered valid after adding five years to the printed expiration date."

Don't trust this! I'm venezuelan and have a friend who wasn't allowed into the country (US) because the passport was "expired".  The CBP is not fully informed about this. 

Timeline

She can get an extension called 'prorroga' is easier to get than the normal passport it will extend the validity for 2 more years. And you can usually get it in a couple of months. Also, is the cheaper option.  The extension of Venezuelan passports by the US government  ONLY work for entry to the US and consular processes, she can't use that to travel to a different country. 

If she's still living in Venezuela, her interview will be done in Bogota, Colombia.  I went there for my interview on March and everything went well. 

Fix the passport situation and then continue with the rest of the process. 

23 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

Don't trust this! I'm venezuelan and have a friend who wasn't allowed into the country (US) because the passport was "expired".  The CBP is not fully informed about this. 

The quote is from the department of state. You are welcome to follow the link to confirm that, It is also it in the post. If you want to believe that CBP will not follow US official guidelines, then there’s not much I can do. In any case for your purposes it is DOS that matters as you are looking for a K visa to be issued, yes? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

The quote is from the department of state. You are welcome to follow the link to confirm that, It is also it in the post. If you want to believe that CBP will not follow US official guidelines, then there’s not much I can do. In any case for your purposes it is DOS that matters as you are looking for a K visa to be issued, yes? 

I’m in the USA already, I’m not OP. 
I know about the extension of passports by the US government from months ago. Like I said there’s people not being allowed into the country  because their passports are being considered expired by officers.  It’s a similar situation with the formal extension of 2 years I know several cases of people who haven’t beeen allowed to enter the country because they don’t consider it a legal travel document. 

it’s happened to close friends. 

Edited by Eric&Mirella

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.