brackpool13

New beginnings and new careers in the USA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping to start an open discussion around the types of careers/jobs that immigrants have pursued since moving to the United States. I'm especially interested in those with stories about moving in a new career direction since moving to the USA, and their experiences. 

For context, I am hopeful that I will be able to begin working at the start of 2020 (my green card interview is in 2 weeks). I moved to central New Jersey (from the United Kingdom) on a K1 visa back in July. 
I'm 29 years old with an undergraduate degree in Economic & Social History, and have experience in working across: media, marketing, business development (amongst other things).

My wife is a teacher, so has the nice long summer holidays that come with it. Having come from the UK, where 20 days vacation is a legal minimum, I'm keen to find something that has the potential to offer at least something similar in terms of vacation time.

So please do help a fellow immigrant out and share your career stories here, what you've enjoyed and what you have not. It would be great to hear from you.

Thanks,

James

4 minutes ago, brackpool13 said:

My wife is a teacher, so has the nice long summer holidays that come with it. Having come from the UK, where 20 days vacation is a legal minimum, I'm keen to find something that has the potential to offer at least something similar in terms of vacation time.

That is going to be tough. Welcome to America. LOL

It is not impossible to find a job that is willing to give you that much time off the bat, but it will limit your job searches. And you may have to sacrifice wage (lower pay for more vacation). reason being is that the US do not have the same laws as the UK. So there is no requirement for a company to give you 20 days vacay.

Maybe a teaching job like your wife which gives you summers off. But it is not considered a vacay since they are not payed during this time.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

That is going to be tough. Welcome to America. LOL

It is not impossible to find a job that is willing to give you that much time off the bat, but it will limit your job searches. And you may have to sacrifice wage (lower pay for more vacation). reason being is that the US do not have the same laws as the UK. So there is no requirement for a company to give you 20 days vacay.

Maybe a teaching job like your wife which gives you summers off. But it is not considered a vacay since they are not payed during this time.

Oh yes I'm very aware of the vacation limitations over here! But still, I'm going to remain hopeful until the last!

Well my husband has degree as in Computer Programming and Sciences, nearly at a masters equivalent (he was offered to remain to go for a PhD and to teach before he left). He previously worked for an American-based company in the UK as technical support, so not exactly what he dreamed of doing. He certainly had vast knowledge and lots of skills, the problem was 1) once he had an EAD no US employer seemed willing to bite and 2) no American work experience. That caused significant delays in finding a job and a lot of dejection on his part.

I started trying to think outside the box for him of potential jobs and at the time we were growing a bit desperate, but by now he had his green card. After being rejected by a big American company, I showed him a job at the state college, part time for IT. It paid very well, didn't have benefits, but I knew he was well overqualified and this would give him room to grow. Within six months he went full time, and in six months after that he transferred full time to a different department in a critical IT role. His new boss recognized he had big level skills to offer and collaborated with him on an award-winning IT help desk design for five campuses. His job was varied every single day so it was never boring for him and he supports everyone from students and teachers, to dignitaries, sports teams, police, and politicians. Then this year he became the boss for his entire department and they still continue to tempt him to come teach. He often tells me while it's exhausting at times, they are extremely good people down there, and that this is by far the best job he's ever had. While they don't offer as many off days as they probably do in the UK - they are extremely generous with vacation time, excellent benefits, and the mandatory semester break (and it is paid) doesn't hurt either. He's had a great many mentors and strong networking has given him many opportunities.

My suggestion to you is to look into jobs that your wife might be able to network for you in her teaching role. Consider colleges, or state-based roles that offer solid benefits or large companies willing to take a chance. You must also be willing to start at the bottom and build up, possibly in a completely different role than you thought you ever would be. I'm not sure how useful your degree will be, but it's a degree in something, and your experience in marketing and business might be a strong plus to look into. It may be hard and at times dejecting... but never give up. Make a strong American-style resume and do your best.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Well my husband has degree as in Computer Programming and Sciences, nearly at a masters equivalent (he was offered to remain to go for a PhD and to teach before he left). He previously worked for an American-based company in the UK as technical support, so not exactly what he dreamed of doing. He certainly had vast knowledge and lots of skills, the problem was 1) once he had an EAD no US employer seemed willing to bite and 2) no American work experience. That caused significant delays in finding a job and a lot of dejection on his part.

I started trying to think outside the box for him of potential jobs and at the time we were growing a bit desperate, but by now he had his green card. After being rejected by a big American company, I showed him a job at the state college, part time for IT. It paid very well, didn't have benefits, but I knew he was well overqualified and this would give him room to grow. Within six months he went full time, and in six months after that he transferred full time to a different department in a critical IT role. His new boss recognized he had big level skills to offer and collaborated with him on an award-winning IT help desk design for five campuses. His job was varied every single day so it was never boring for him and he supports everyone from students and teachers, to dignitaries, sports teams, police, and politicians. Then this year he became the boss for his entire department and they still continue to tempt him to come teach. He often tells me while it's exhausting at times, they are extremely good people down there, and that this is by far the best job he's ever had. While they don't offer as many off days as they probably do in the UK - they are extremely generous with vacation time, excellent benefits, and the mandatory semester break (and it is paid) doesn't hurt either. He's had a great many mentors and strong networking has given him many opportunities.

My suggestion to you is to look into jobs that your wife might be able to network for you in her teaching role. Consider colleges, or state-based roles that offer solid benefits or large companies willing to take a chance. You must also be willing to start at the bottom and build up, possibly in a completely different role than you thought you ever would be. I'm not sure how useful your degree will be, but it's a degree in something, and your experience in marketing and business might be a strong plus to look into. It may be hard and at times dejecting... but never give up. Make a strong American-style resume and do your best.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm certainly prepared to be persistent! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.