mereal

Oath ceremony question

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Just got my oath scheduled today.. I know I have to answer questions on the back of oath notice.. I think one of the question is about getting or paying a fine for traffic violations.. I’ve been asked this question on my interview but I said no.. I really forgot about it.. it was a 100$ fine Ipayed it  online and I forgot about it.. I’m thinking to answer that question with a NO .. what do y’all think? 
need your help plz.. thanks 

Misrepresentation is a very serious immigration issue. Best to just tell them. It may or may not delay anything, but it's better than having that hang over your head at any point in the future.

The N-445 (http://ilw.com/forms/N445.pdf) must be provided and nobody on this website is going to tell you to lie to immigration (it's against the TOS).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Misrepresentation is a very serious immigration issue. Best to just tell them. It may or may not delay anything, but it's better than having that hang over your head at any point in the future.

The N-445 (http://ilw.com/forms/N445.pdf) must be provided and nobody on this website is going to tell you to lie to immigration (it's against the TOS).

Thanks for replying.. if I well understood it asking about the time between the interview and the oath ceremony! Am I correct? That fine was before my interview 

34 minutes ago, mereal said:

Thanks for replying.. if I well understood it asking about the time between the interview and the oath ceremony! Am I correct? That fine was before my interview 

Ah yes, that's correct. But it still needs to be disclosed.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
22 minutes ago, R78 said:

The questions are specific to a timeframe after the interview and before oath. So, in your case, since the ticket was before the interview, you should answer NO.

You should fill this form on the day of the oath ( i recommend once you reach the venue).

Thanks sir! Plus I got that fine months before my interview via mail.. it said if I pay that fine in a 2 weeks it won’t be reported!!.. does that mean it’s not in my record?! So I should not worry about it?

Being Reported or not OR records being expunged OR tickets disappearing after 3 yrs in the system, etc should still be reported to the USCIS and documentation on how the case ended needs to be provided. 

So even though you paid the fine and were assured that it would not be reported (aka.....no points  / notification in the DMV system) you should have still reported it in your N400. 

Citizenship, once granted is difficult to revoke as the USCIS & DOJ need to prove that you held "significant material information".  A simple traffic violation is the least of their concern.

Similar, but I Have traveled abroad between interview and Oath. It was For 3 months. I have stamps in my passport and airplane tickets. I don’t think it should be a problem, but I can’t seem to find anyone who has similar experience and passed the Oath.

5 hours ago, Nayda said:

Similar, but I Have traveled abroad between interview and Oath. It was For 3 months. I have stamps in my passport and airplane tickets. I don’t think it should be a problem, but I can’t seem to find anyone who has similar experience and passed the Oath.

How many days out of the country you spent during the statutory period? which will be 3 years or 5 depending if you filed based on marriage or not. 

30 minutes ago, Downloader said:

How many days out of the country you spent during the statutory period? which will be 3 years or 5 depending if you filed based on marriage or not. 

Im based on marriage. I have my LPR since 2/2016. I have been abroad 3 times, and total is about 10.5 months, of course never longer than 6 months at one time. 

1 hour ago, Nayda said:

Im based on marriage. I have my LPR since 2/2016. I have been abroad 3 times, and total is about 10.5 months, of course never longer than 6 months at one time. 

I think that you will be fine, you still qualify for the 18 months of physical presence. You should be prepared for when you give them your form at the Oath Ceremony and that long absence comes to their knowledge to have some extra scrutiny which may end up even on them rescheduling your oath until they clarify/double check that physical presence requirement, I’m not saying that’s going to happen but there is a chance. I would bring evidence of all my trips during the 3 years just im case they want deal with it right there. I believe with USCIS being over prepared is always a good practice.

2 minutes ago, Downloader said:

I think that you will be fine, you still qualify for the 18 months of physical presence. You should be prepared for when you give them your form at the Oath Ceremony and that long absence comes to their knowledge to have some extra scrutiny which may end up even on them rescheduling your oath until they clarify/double check that physical presence requirement, I’m not saying that’s going to happen but there is a chance. I would bring evidence of all my trips during the 3 years just im case they want deal with it right there. I believe with USCIS being over prepared is always a good practice.

You are absolutely right! I always submitted anything extra in all my applications so far. I should be fine, but you gave me an idea about bringing the proof of all my trips, not only this last one. Thank you. 

How long did it take to get your oath scheduled after you were approved?

I-751 Removal of Conditions

-01/15/18 Mailed I-751

-01/18/18 Arrived at California Service Center

-01/18/18 NOA 1 Date

-01/22/18 NOA Received

2 minutes ago, MadMax101 said:

How long did it take to get your oath scheduled after you were approved?

Unfortunalely, I am one of the “Weird” case. I write it here, you can read on the link:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/651896-n-400-and-i-751-combo-pending/?do=findComment&comment=9931157

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.