WHYnow

Please I need your advice

17 posts in this topic

My Fiance live in Seattle, an America citizen 37 years old, I'm from Nigeria, 35 years old but I live and work in Dubai. we just got engaged a month ago, with some family/friends in attendance after almost 1 year of our relationship.

I was married in Nigeria before and had 3 years old daughter, marriage was dissolved exactly 1 year before I knew my America fiance, to own the custody of my daughter the case is still pending.

Now we were both confused on which best and fast possible way to be together as it was very tough on us to live separately since her last departure.

Fist option we came up with is for my Finace to travel down to Nigeria in order to get married, and at the same time I will apply to visit and travel with her back to the state for honeymoon, but what we have to do after the visit to legalized my stay, we don't no. 

Second option we finally agreed on is for us to book our wedding in United State so I will apply for Visit visa to attend the weeding alongside my family from Nigeria, what we need to do after this visit we dont know best option. 

Please kindly review our current option and the process to legalized my stay after the marriage visit. 

I have a reliable business in Nigeria and also a Sole consultancy work in Dubai, my fiance also work as Assistant Nurse in United State. 

Please advice us on the best thing to do and kindly considered we don't want to wait too far that's why we did not go for K1. 

Appreciate your feedback and sorry for the lengthen words.

Ola

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K3 Process & Procedures to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Your best option in this case will be to apply for a K-1 fiancé/fiancée visa. A K-1 visa requires both parties to have met at-least once in person within the last 2 years prior to applying, be legally free to marry and also be unmarried as well. If you guys marry you will not be eligible for a K-1 visa anymore and will have to do a spousal visa instead which will take roughly 12 to 14 months to complete.

You’ll need to wait overseas until you get your K-1 visa before moving to the U.S. Just so you also know USCIS is dangerously backlogged now nationwide with all immigration petitions experiencing delays, so you’ll also need a big dose of patience. Immigrating to the U.S. has never been a quick process so you’ll need to bear that in mind.

Again you can’t use a visit visa to come get married in the U.S. that’s why there’s a K-1 visa which will allow you to come get married and adjust your status here to lawful permanent residency. No consular officer will issue you a visa for that reason. You can also immigrate with your daughter as a K-2 dependent.

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

I agree that a K-1 seems like your best bet.

Also - have  you ever applied for a B-2 visitor visa?  Unfortunately, as a Nigerian male living abroad, you will likely have challenges getting one.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Do you have a visitor visa?  Do you realize that it's immigration fraud to use a visitor visa to enter the US and immigrate to the US?  

Both options that you presented includes you using a visitor visa.  It's not that easy to get a visitor visa when you are married to a US citizen and want to come live in the US.  

Why Option 1 will not work:  You don't have a visitor visa.  It's immigration fraud to use a visitor visa to enter the US and "legalize your stay."  

Why Option 2 will not work: You don't have a visitor visa.  It's immigration fraud to use a visitor visa to enter the US and adjust status.

There is NO WAY to avoid being separated.  You can not avoid the K-1 by using a visitor visa to immigrate to the US.  

Your two real choices are the K-1 or the CR-1 spousal visa.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

From my experience as a USA citizen and now Married to immigrant from Nigeria, keep in mind we're both Nigerian.  Applying for visiting visa for attending your own wedding is a red flag, because immigration will see it as you might not go back after getting married.  Either K1 or spouse visa, both takes long time and load of patience.  Both process takes a year and half to two years.  and am just speaking from experience, my husband and i completed the K1 process in this year June and it took us a whole year.   And after getting married, we're still in process with his adjustment of status for green card.  And I know a family member that took over two years to finish spouse visa process.  My point it, with current immigration process, there's no quick way.  Every form of entry required time and patience.  My recommendation for you is to be patience and apply for K1 visa and come get married in USA, in the main time plan for your fiance to visit you more in Dubai and you both can also visit Nigeria.  You have a child and business outside of USA, dont come here in hurry with visiting visa and be stock to 2 years without job and not able to attend to your business and family outside of the country.

16 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Why are you following my posts when you wouldn't answer questions posed to help you?

Hello, I thank you for your comment and advise. meanwhile you have been patient to wait for my reply before commenting this again. 

Yesterday I have reached the threshold of comments and messages allowed that's why I could not reply to anyone, not only you (sir/ma), but at the same time to show appreciation and acknowledgment/valued to your comments I click ''Like/Thank you''

21 hours ago, Starkilla09 said:

Your best option in this case will be to apply for a K-1 fiancé/fiancée visa. A K-1 visa requires both parties to have met at-least once in person within the last 2 years prior to applying, be legally free to marry and also be unmarried as well. If you guys marry you will not be eligible for a K-1 visa anymore and will have to do a spousal visa instead which will take roughly 12 to 14 months to complete.

You’ll need to wait overseas until you get your K-1 visa before moving to the U.S. Just so you also know USCIS is dangerously backlogged now nationwide with all immigration petitions experiencing delays, so you’ll also need a big dose of patience. Immigrating to the U.S. has never been a quick process so you’ll need to bear that in mind.

Again you can’t use a visit visa to come get married in the U.S. that’s why there’s a K-1 visa which will allow you to come get married and adjust your status here to lawful permanent residency. No consular officer will issue you a visa for that reason. You can also immigrate with your daughter as a K-2 dependent.

Thank you for your advise - Its good to know that its illegal to conduct wedding while on a visit visa. I think we will prefer to do our wedding in Nigeria and then file Cr-1, maybe the processing time might be little faster than K-1. 

20 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I agree that a K-1 seems like your best bet.

Also - have  you ever applied for a B-2 visitor visa?  Unfortunately, as a Nigerian male living abroad, you will likely have challenges getting one.

Thank you for your advise. 

Yes I applied for B-2 before I meet my finace but was denied on the ground that I do not have a strong tie from UAE to US. My last B-2 refusal was on invitation from my fiance but was denied because I could establish that we have meet in person. The refusal is what inspired her and her mom plus my family to arrange our engagement in Dubai a month ago. 

17 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Do you have a visitor visa?  Do you realize that it's immigration fraud to use a visitor visa to enter the US and immigrate to the US?  

Both options that you presented includes you using a visitor visa.  It's not that easy to get a visitor visa when you are married to a US citizen and want to come live in the US.  

Why Option 1 will not work:  You don't have a visitor visa.  It's immigration fraud to use a visitor visa to enter the US and "legalize your stay."  

Why Option 2 will not work: You don't have a visitor visa.  It's immigration fraud to use a visitor visa to enter the US and adjust status.

There is NO WAY to avoid being separated.  You can not avoid the K-1 by using a visitor visa to immigrate to the US.  

Your two real choices are the K-1 or the CR-1 spousal visa.  

I do not have Visitor Visa, neither me or my fiance is aware that getting marry with visitor visa is illegal and that's why I'm here for enlightenment. I appreciate everyone advise as the option of Visit to get marry is now out of our list. someone has advise us on I-130 and then K3 to speed the process.

6 hours ago, Omoge Afo said:

From my experience as a USA citizen and now Married to immigrant from Nigeria, keep in mind we're both Nigerian.  Applying for visiting visa for attending your own wedding is a red flag, because immigration will see it as you might not go back after getting married.  Either K1 or spouse visa, both takes long time and load of patience.  Both process takes a year and half to two years.  and am just speaking from experience, my husband and i completed the K1 process in this year June and it took us a whole year.   And after getting married, we're still in process with his adjustment of status for green card.  And I know a family member that took over two years to finish spouse visa process.  My point it, with current immigration process, there's no quick way.  Every form of entry required time and patience.  My recommendation for you is to be patience and apply for K1 visa and come get married in USA, in the main time plan for your fiance to visit you more in Dubai and you both can also visit Nigeria.  You have a child and business outside of USA, dont come here in hurry with visiting visa and be stock to 2 years without job and not able to attend to your business and family outside of the country.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your advise. based on the advise from all you wonderful people we might consider Spouse Visa, getting marry in Dubai is very complicate in process, we will plan to do our wedding in Nigeria and go for Spouse Visa.

Once again, I appreciate your comments.

1 hour ago, Ola MK said:

Yes I applied for B-2 before I meet my finace but was denied on the ground that I do not have a strong tie from UAE to US. My last B-2 refusal was on invitation from my fiance but was denied because I could establish that we have meet in person. The refusal is what inspired her and her mom plus my family to arrange our engagement in Dubai a month ago. 

I don't think you understand how this works.  There is no "invitation" for a B-2, and had you met in person, it would have been even more detrimental.  COs are required by law to presume immigrant intent.  You must show ties to your country of residence.  Having ties to the US (friend, fiancee, family) does the opposite of this, and confirms the suspicion of immigrant intent.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
On 10/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, Ola MK said:

I do not have Visitor Visa, neither me or my fiance is aware that getting marry with visitor visa is illegal and that's why I'm here for enlightenment. I appreciate everyone advise as the option of Visit to get marry is now out of our list. someone has advise us on I-130 and then K3 to speed the process.

I suggest you be extremely wary of anyone offering advise for a K-3 visa.  
Suggest you follow the CR-1 or K-1 visa, instead, depending on your marital status at time of initial filing. 

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.