KristineGB

SSN K1 after marriage

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So this is what went down. After researching here first, I waited over 2 weeks after entry and a week after my wedding to get an SSN. Brought my passport, i94, k1 visa and marriage certificate. Lady at SSA found my maiden name in the data base but for some reason couldn't issue an SSN using my married name. She started talking about having to send info to DHS so I said to just issue an SSN in my maiden name because I figured for people choosing to use their maiden last name, it could be done right? I said I'd just change name later. But she didn't want to do it. She went to ask someone and then came back and then gave me the receipt that said, "...we must verify the document(s) you gave us to show your Alien status with the federal, .... this may take up to 4 weeks..". So I guess I've been manually verified? But they found my maiden name in their database. I'm so confused. And also angry at myself for not asking for a supervisor. Anyone have any thoughts? 

I think that's pretty standard. The letter is kind of a template that they give out when people applied for SSN. I believe all you can do now is wait for the card in the mail. If they found your maiden name in the system, then it shouldn't take too long. You can also check the status of your application here: https://save.uscis.gov/CaseCheck/CaseCheck.aspx

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Timeline
On 10/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

I think that's pretty standard. The letter is kind of a template that they give out when people applied for SSN. I believe all you can do now is wait for the card in the mail. If they found your maiden name in the system, then it shouldn't take too long. You can also check the status of your application here: https://save.uscis.gov/CaseCheck/CaseCheck.aspx

Thanks very much!

Timeline
On 10/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

Is it status of ssn application?

5 hours ago, KristineGB said:

Is it status of ssn application?

You can use it for SSN or any other govt agency cases that you want to check on. For SSN, it should show that an agency asked to verify your info and it would show if the query  has been returned to that agency. 

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Timeline
2 hours ago, MarryMe987654 said:

You can use it for SSN or any other govt agency cases that you want to check on. For SSN, it should show that an agency asked to verify your info and it would show if the query  has been returned to that agency. 

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
On 10/24/2019 at 10:50 PM, KristineGB said:

So this is what went down. After researching here first, I waited over 2 weeks after entry and a week after my wedding to get an SSN. Brought my passport, i94, k1 visa and marriage certificate. Lady at SSA found my maiden name in the data base but for some reason couldn't issue an SSN using my married name. She started talking about having to send info to DHS so I said to just issue an SSN in my maiden name because I figured for people choosing to use their maiden last name, it could be done right? I said I'd just change name later. But she didn't want to do it. She went to ask someone and then came back and then gave me the receipt that said, "...we must verify the document(s) you gave us to show your Alien status with the federal, .... this may take up to 4 weeks..". So I guess I've been manually verified? But they found my maiden name in their database. I'm so confused. And also angry at myself for not asking for a supervisor. Anyone have any thoughts? 

So did you get your SSN issued?

I was given that letter too, 3 weeks later they sent me another letter saying the Homeland Security cannot verify my immigration status.

What does that even mean?

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Update: So apparently, the SSA didn't know to check that DHS got back to SSA. Their system doesn't have notifications so the office has to manually check something in their system to see when DHS gets back to them. I don't know how it goes but I heard one office call another office that that is the way to do it. So SSA missed my DHS verification which was sent on November 15. Now it's too late for them to update my SSN so that my card can be issued because I'm within 14 days of my visa expiry. All they could do was apologize. They told me to call Immigration. We already know nothing will come out of that. Because we all know how this process works and everyone on here has spent months and months reviewing the process and sharing with others how this goes, none of which anyone would know unless they're going through a similar process. And the lady had the gall to be rude to me because I was upset that they messed up. I just wanted to rant and I know no one else understands this but the very people who are going through the same #######. Also, know that if one local SSA office touches your file, it gets locked and another office cannot access it. The don't have a universal system where they can see an SSN holder's account. I am so so fed up. This is part rant, part hoping it will help someone. GET YOUR SSN in your maiden name next time, then just go back and have it changed to married. I insisted on that, but was told I CANT BECAUSE I'M NOW LEGALLY MARRIED. Even though in my state, and probably all of US (not sure) you can choose to go by your maiden name. I was told I HAD TO USE MY MARRIED NAME. Also, if you've previously lived in the US as a minor, and not sure if you have an SSN, have them check that first. The office i first went to made the mistake of not checking that. Turns out I had an SSN as a minor. I would not know that because what kids knows they have an SSN? What kid would care? I went to a second office and they asked the right questions which led to me finding out that I had an existing SSN. This is probably very confusing but my tips are that. if you've lived in the US before and not sure if you have an SSN, get them to verify. Also, that local offices can't see activity on your file once another office touches it. Also, hound the heck out of them even if it seems like you're getting nowhere. I hounded the heck out of them. Sometimes, even the manager doesn't know what he's doing. I don't know if this is helping anyone. I'm just so upset I needed to vent. And hoping the vent will help someone. 

On 11/7/2019 at 8:09 PM, ilovelondon said:

my SSN case status is return TP the agency.is that mean I get SSN card soon?

Yes the process as described is correct. It still took awhile for us about 4 weeks but it did come in the mail with her maiden name (I-94) name.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.