Nashvan

Name on flight ticket to US Virgin Islands after GC received

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My in-laws are planning to go on vacation with us to the US Virgin Islands next May. We will be flying American Airlines with a layover in Charlotte NC. On VJ I've read that flight tickets, even for domestic travel (which USVI is considered), are to be booked in the passport name. My GC that just got approved will be in my married name.

My question is which name should I book the ticket in? I'm not sure if the GC operates the same as the combo card in that you still have to use your passport name on the ticket. I also have the option of changing my passport name to my married name but I don't know how long that would take with all my guarantor candidates in Vancouver (I need their signature).

The name that is on your passport. Your passport is your official travel document. But also, be sure to have your GC with you.

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

7 minutes ago, Nashvan said:

My question is which name should I book the ticket in?

In whatever travel documents that you will use to fly. If you plan to use passport, book it in that name. If you plan to use green card, book it in that name. If you want to use driver's license, book it in that name. All of those are ok to travel domestically inside the US. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, USS_Voyager said:

In whatever travel documents that you will use to fly. If you plan to use passport, book it in that name. If you plan to use green card, book it in that name. If you want to use driver's license, book it in that name. All of those are ok to travel domestically inside the US. 

Thanks, I think that's what I'm confused about -- I thought I had to use my passport no matter what. I'll definitely bring both the passport and GC.

So for travel outside the US, the ticket must be in the passport name?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

US Virgin Islands are US territory. So the flight is considered domestic. You should be fine with drivers license too. BUT I would take my passport and GC just in case the plane needs to land somewhere which is not USA territory.

Edit: By the law we are required to carry the GC with us every day. So take it for sure when you are travelling.

Edited by ineedadisplayname

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 hours ago, Nashvan said:

Thanks, I think that's what I'm confused about -- I thought I had to use my passport no matter what. I'll definitely bring both the passport and GC.

So for travel outside the US, the ticket must be in the passport name?

Domestically it can be in any name as long as it matches your travel document.

Internationally, your travel document is your passport, so it must match your passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 10/23/2019 at 9:49 AM, Nashvan said:

My question is which name should I book the ticket in? I'm not sure if the GC operates the same as the combo card in that you still have to use your passport name on the ticket. I also have the option of changing my passport name to my married name but I don't know how long that would take with all my guarantor candidates in Vancouver (I need their signature).

The GC is the same as a combo card as far as being a valid ID for TSA (and so for domestic travel) -- they both work, as per https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification ; both "Permanent Resident Card" (aka Green Card) and "U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card" (aka EAD or Combo Card) are on the list of valid forms of ID.

You want your name to match your passport name for international travel because airport security in other countries won't recognize US-issued IDs other than a passport.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.