Sweetdreaming

applying for SSN with K1 questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

An individual worker at an office might ask anything. Mine asked no questions. 

Know that you as a K1 are allowed a SSN up until 2 weeks before your 90 days ends. You don't need a reason.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

i went to the SSA-office a few days after my arrival and they told me i am not allowed to get a SSN before I am married. 

I am confused.

K1 Visa

AOS filed 10/28/2019

2 hours ago, heldenhafte said:

i went to the SSA-office a few days after my arrival and they told me i am not allowed to get a SSN before I am married. 

I am confused.

LOL... well some will say that, but then some will say that once you are married you can't get one. Fun huh? It's always best to probably print out the SSA's own instructions on the subject, or ask for a supervisor... OR you could try a different office location.

4 hours ago, skjourney said:

Hi, i wanted to know what type of questions the SSN officer may ask, do they ask why I need an SSN for instance ? 

In general they shouldn't ask much at all. You fill out the form, bring their own instructions if they have a question, double check whatever print out they give you is correct, and leave. Takes all of 10 minutes if the person knows what they're doing.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

They asked my wife if she could speak english and if she had ever applied for or used Social Security benefits but she had never even had a ssn card before.  Other than that they made sure her name was spelt right to both of us and said it would be processed for manual verification but that was 2 months ago still waiting for the card. I will call them tomorrow :/

I was asked no questions, just told that it had to go for manual verification and I should have a card within 4 weeks. (Like many UK nationals, my first name and middle name were mushed together into one field on the i-94 and it looks like that might be why it needs to be manually verified.)

I actually got married 2 days after I arrived in the US and applied for my SSN about 5 days later. Was never asked if I was married or not yet (and I didn't volunteer that), but I was applying in my maiden name as per my passport, visa, and i-94 record anyway. 

Edited by yoda one for me
typo

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As I presented my documents to the SSN attendant, he spent few minutes looking at his computer and later asked if I have ever applied for SSN , which is a strange question to someone who is touching down on US soil for the first time .I just said no and he said I would have to be verified (by CBP/USCIS i guess).

That took two weeks and I got my card in the mail  two weeks later. Hence, 4 weeks in total.

If the call isn't as satisfactory as you would have wanted, just make a trip down there again to get things cleared up.

Good luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 10/14/2019 at 9:41 AM, skjourney said:

Hi, i wanted to know what type of questions the SSN officer may ask, do they ask why I need an SSN for instance ? 

Sometimes,some of them are not aware of all the details of k-1 visa and there is no where on SSA website that requires a K-1 visa holder to be married first before applying for SSN.
To be on a safer side, review and print out the SSN application requirements & fill out the application itself online ( https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf ). Print it all out and carry it along with you to their office.

K-1visa holders can apply for  SSN upon producing a valid unexpired 1-94. The earliest SSN application should be 2 weeks after you arrival in the US so that they can be able to verify your info in the SAVE-ASVI database.If you apply too soon, they may have to do a manual verification from USCIS which takes a week or two.
If your 1-94 is yet to be updated online after 1 week of arrival, call the CBP number available online.They will either ask you to check back within a day or two or come to their office for it be  printed manually for you ( I went to their office  along with my passport to get mine ).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 10/14/2019 at 11:11 AM, Wuozopo said:

An individual worker at an office might ask anything. Mine asked no questions. 

Know that you as a K1 are allowed a SSN up until 2 weeks before your 90 days ends. You don't need a reason.

My husband and I didn't know we could apply for a SSN during the K1 and we applied for a SSN in our AOS, EAD and Travel applications. Can we apply now or must we wait? Also, will the SSN come with our EAD reply or will we have to go get one when we get the EAD?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
11 hours ago, LLPW said:

My husband and I didn't know we could apply for a SSN during the K1 and we applied for a SSN in our AOS, EAD and Travel applications. Can we apply now or must we wait? Also, will the SSN come with our EAD reply or will we have to go get one when we get the EAD?

A K1's eligibility is only during their 90 day entry (less 2 weeks), then the window closes until you receive EAD.  I am not familiar with applying with AOS/EAD but I would think the immigration cards would be mailed from USCIS, and the Social Security card would have to be mailed from the Social Security Administration since they are separate parts of the government. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

A K1's eligibility is only during their 90 day entry (less 2 weeks), then the window closes until you receive EAD.  I am not familiar with applying with AOS/EAD but I would think the immigration cards would be mailed from USCIS, and the Social Security card would have to be mailed from the Social Security Administration since they are separate parts of the government. 

Thank you!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.