brackpool13

NJ Drivers License Renewal - K1

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello,

My I-94 expires on the 13th of October along with my DL, and so I will be looking to renew my New Jersey drivers license this week. I have my NOA1 from my I-485 application (adjusting from K1 visa entry).

I was wondering whether anyone here had any luck doing something similar, in New Jersey?

Also, am I correct in thinking I can't get an I-551 stamp at this moment in time?

Apologies if the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to post.

Thanks,

James

5 minutes ago, brackpool13 said:

Also, am I correct in thinking I can't get an I-551 stamp at this moment in time?

That is correct. I-551 stamp is possible only after your I-485 is approved and you're lawful permanent resident

6 minutes ago, brackpool13 said:

I have my NOA1 from my I-485 application (adjusting from K1 visa entry).

I was wondering whether anyone here had any luck doing something similar, in New Jersey?

I do not know specifically in New Jersey. It seems to vary from state to state and sometimes even the local offices within one state vary (because staff do not know the laws). But some states allow renewal of DL with the NOA1 and others tell you to wait until you at least have an EAD.

The NJ DMV website does not include the I797c Noa1 Receipt notice as proof of lawful status/authorized stay to obtain or renew a temporary NJ DL.

It states you will either need an EAD or GC or I485 Noa2 approval notice to renew/apply.

You can always try and you may luck out and get an agent who doesn't follow their policies.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
30 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

The NJ DMV website does not include the I797c Noa1 Receipt notice as proof of lawful status/authorized stay to obtain or renew a temporary NJ DL.

It states you will either need an EAD or GC or I485 Noa2 approval notice to renew/apply.

You can always try and you may luck out and get an agent who doesn't follow their policies.

Yeah I figured I'd just have to go and try my luck, but was just curious to see whether anyone had succeeded before.

Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, brackpool13 said:

Yeah I figured I'd just have to go and try my luck, but was just curious to see whether anyone had succeeded before.

Fingers crossed!

Let us know how it goes for others in the future.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You should check in over at the Moving to the US and Your New Life in America forum. These topics are often discussed at that forum.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/15-moving-to-the-us-and-your-new-life-in-america/

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

most likely not without EAD in hand. but I have heard of some remote DMV(i'm talking about a very unpopular town) where they dont care to follow rules and try your luck there. but if you're going in to a high populated area, don't even bother trying.  Now lines are getting long at DMV after since the Real ID was announced(which will take effect October 2020. so just hold on if you can.

AOS/EAD/AP ->: 11/29/18 - NOA1: 12/04/18

Biometric NOA:  12/14/18  Biometric Appt: 12/26/18

Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview: 1/16/19

EAD/AP approval: 3/18/19

AOS Interview Appt: 6/4/19

AOS Interview: 7/10/19

AOS Approved: 7/23/19

GREEN CARD IN HAND: 7/26/19

"It's true, we don't have it as easy as ordinary couples. But this is no ordinary love"

Timeline
On 10/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, geowrian said:

Let us know how it goes for others in the future.

No luck in Freehold, but will try Bakers Basin in Lawrenceville before admitting defeat.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.