Beddy2015

N400 October 2019 Filers!

1,174 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 10/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, Beddy2015 said:

I attended my interview yesterday. Everything was super quick. There were about five of us in the waiting area for N400 . 
Some of the questions that were asked: 

1.Who was president during World War 1

2. Who lived in America before the Europeans. 
3. Who is the Vice president now 

The reading and writing questions were: When is Columbus Day? - Columbus day is in October. 
then I was asked the all yes & no questions. 
When was the last time I travelled out of the country.

Now I have to wait for the oath ceremony . 

Praying for those of one still waiting to get an interview soon. 

Congratulations 

12 hours ago, CPanting said:

I did my interview yesterday at the USCIS Office in downtown San Diego, CA. My appointment was at 10:30 AM. I originally submitted back in Oct 2019.

I showed up to the building 15 minutes before my appointment time as instructed in the interivew letter. To my surprise there were at least 20 individuals in line already, and it was not moving that fast. After 10 minutes, the line started to move and it was quick after that. I entered the building, checked-in, security clearance and went up to the 4th floor to the waiting area, by then it was 10:30 AM already. I didn't get called in for my interview until around 11:25 AM. The officer asked me to show him my appointment/interview letter along with my Green Card and CA State Drivers License. He did the english part of the exam first: Write "The capital of USA is Washington, D.C.", asked me to read of the iPad "Independence day is on July 4th" and that was that. Then we asked me about my timeline as a student since that's how I first came in to the USA (F1 Visa) and asked me how I met my wife. He asked what date I got married and asked to see my Original Marriage Certificate. Then he reviewed my employement timelines and proceeded to ask if there were any changes since my application to the N-400. I explained that I had since moved to a new address (asked me how many bedrooms, and what the rent was) and that I had a baby girl in May. He asked to see a copy of the Birth Certificate for my Daugther which I had with me in my files. After that we did the Civics questiosn, which he asked me six questions. Who is the VP of USA? What ocean is on the east coast? States that Border Mexico? Give two rights that every CItizen has? WHo is the father of USA? How many senators are there? I answered all correctly. Then proceeded to review all the "No" questions on the N-400, have you ever been convicted of such an such? are you involved with terroriste organization? Communism? Ever hurt or killed someone? That takes a couple of minutes. Finally he made me review the changes or additions that were made to my N-400 (new address and a child), I signed (digitally) on the iPad and that basically finished the interview process. There was very little small talk with the office, but he seemed pretty relaxed, not super serious or trying to be intimidating. After that the office gave me the great news that I had been APPROVED and as of that moment I was a US Citizen. He explained that sometimes they mail out the Certificate of Naturalization, but to my luck they did have the the materials needed and provided me with the document right there and then. The whole thing took about 35 minutes and he explained that it is usually not that long, because we had to wait another 10 minutes to get the certificate printed out. Officially done with N-400 and already registered to VOTE. I will do my passport application tomorrow, since I can't come back in to the USA now if I decide to travel. He did keep my 10 year Green Card with him.

Best of luck to all of you!

So great, congrats!

And, just one thing -- you took the oath immediately after the interview, is that right? (Lucky you, they don't seem to do this in NYC. I wish they did)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
14 hours ago, CPanting said:

I did my interview yesterday at the USCIS Office in downtown San Diego, CA. My appointment was at 10:30 AM. I originally submitted back in Oct 2019.

I showed up to the building 15 minutes before my appointment time as instructed in the interivew letter. To my surprise there were at least 20 individuals in line already, and it was not moving that fast. After 10 minutes, the line started to move and it was quick after that. I entered the building, checked-in, security clearance and went up to the 4th floor to the waiting area, by then it was 10:30 AM already. I didn't get called in for my interview until around 11:25 AM. The officer asked me to show him my appointment/interview letter along with my Green Card and CA State Drivers License. He did the english part of the exam first: Write "The capital of USA is Washington, D.C.", asked me to read of the iPad "Independence day is on July 4th" and that was that. Then we asked me about my timeline as a student since that's how I first came in to the USA (F1 Visa) and asked me how I met my wife. He asked what date I got married and asked to see my Original Marriage Certificate. Then he reviewed my employement timelines and proceeded to ask if there were any changes since my application to the N-400. I explained that I had since moved to a new address (asked me how many bedrooms, and what the rent was) and that I had a baby girl in May. He asked to see a copy of the Birth Certificate for my Daugther which I had with me in my files. After that we did the Civics questiosn, which he asked me six questions. Who is the VP of USA? What ocean is on the east coast? States that Border Mexico? Give two rights that every CItizen has? WHo is the father of USA? How many senators are there? I answered all correctly. Then proceeded to review all the "No" questions on the N-400, have you ever been convicted of such an such? are you involved with terroriste organization? Communism? Ever hurt or killed someone? That takes a couple of minutes. Finally he made me review the changes or additions that were made to my N-400 (new address and a child), I signed (digitally) on the iPad and that basically finished the interview process. There was very little small talk with the office, but he seemed pretty relaxed, not super serious or trying to be intimidating. After that the office gave me the great news that I had been APPROVED and as of that moment I was a US Citizen. He explained that sometimes they mail out the Certificate of Naturalization, but to my luck they did have the the materials needed and provided me with the document right there and then. The whole thing took about 35 minutes and he explained that it is usually not that long, because we had to wait another 10 minutes to get the certificate printed out. Officially done with N-400 and already registered to VOTE. I will do my passport application tomorrow, since I can't come back in to the USA now if I decide to travel. He did keep my 10 year Green Card with him.

Congratulations! 
wow so you get naturalization certificate same day? Your office is different. I have been schedule for oath ceremony . 

4 hours ago, cacolac323 said:

So great, congrats!

And, just one thing -- you took the oath immediately after the interview, is that right? (Lucky you, they don't seem to do this in NYC. I wish they did)

Thank you!  and yes. The officer explained that with the COVID19 situation they are doing this to avoid another in person meeting just to do the oath. He asked me to raise my right hand and read (not out loud) the oath as he read it to me and at the end I just had to state "so help me God" and that was it.

3 hours ago, Beddy2015 said:

Congratulations! 
wow so you get naturalization certificate same day? Your office is different. I have been schedule for oath ceremony . 

Thank you! Yes, they printed it out right after my interview was done. 

On 10/8/2020 at 4:18 PM, CPanting said:

Congratulations, but how about the oath ceremony? you didn't menion it

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
5 hours ago, Disteny said:

Congratulations, but how about the oath ceremony? you didn't menion it

Oath ceremony was on the same day that's why she got the certificate. Looks like some office does that to avoid another meeting cause of covid.  

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

I attended my interview today in San Bernardino, CA office. The whole interview took about 45 minutes. Even though my green card was based on marriage and I've heard they'll ask for all sort of documents on your interview, the only documents she asked for was my green card and driver license. The officer was sitting in a different room and we talked through a tablet. She didn't seem rushed at all and took her time. From part 12 vocabulary she asked me to define Constitution and oath of allegiance. While asking all those questions which you answer NO, she asked me if I pay my taxes. So I'd say don't zone out and listen what they're asking. Civics question that I remember was president's name, chief justice name, ocean on the west coast. Did the reading and writing test, I signed a bunch of papers which came out of a printer (Take your own pen to the interview, they won't provide any due to Covid) Then she came to the room, punched my green card and asked me to raise my right hand and repeat the oath of allegiance after her and when we were done she handed me my naturalization certificate. I'm just so happy that the wait is over. Wish you all the best.

8 hours ago, nadiadc said:

I attended my interview today in San Bernardino, CA office. The whole interview took about 45 minutes. Even though my green card was based on marriage and I've heard they'll ask for all sort of documents on your interview, the only documents she asked for was my green card and driver license. The officer was sitting in a different room and we talked through a tablet. She didn't seem rushed at all and took her time. From part 12 vocabulary she asked me to define Constitution and oath of allegiance. While asking all those questions which you answer NO, she asked me if I pay my taxes. So I'd say don't zone out and listen what they're asking. Civics question that I remember was president's name, chief justice name, ocean on the west coast. Did the reading and writing test, I signed a bunch of papers which came out of a printer (Take your own pen to the interview, they won't provide any due to Covid) Then she came to the room, punched my green card and asked me to raise my right hand and repeat the oath of allegiance after her and when we were done she handed me my naturalization certificate. I'm just so happy that the wait is over. Wish you all the best.

Hi thanks for sharing. How did you define 

oath of allegiance?  Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
4 hours ago, Dmitrii said:

Hi thanks for sharing. How did you define 

oath of allegiance?  Thank you 

I said it’s a promise to be loyal to the United States.

I have my Interview on Tuesday! I am a little anxious an worried that i have not prepared enough....Do I need to take all of the original documents that I uploaded onto my online portal  for proof. They are all PDFs so that should be able to see them. 

Is there anything else I am  having to prove? 

My understanding ( and correct me if I am wrong)  is that  I am there to take a test  (Civils and English )to see if I pass the requirements for citizenship. The fact I have an interview is surface evidence that they believe I have met eligibility to become a citizen.  Therefore I do not have to prove anything. Am I correct in thinking this way?

I dont want to take a bunch of items with me that is not necessary. 

My Info. Married 11 years to same spouse I married with K1 visa. 2 step children 1 biological. Wife was previously married. I believe i have qualified under the 5 year rule so the marriage factor should not be an issue?? 

Any help before the big day would be great or any advice 

thanks 

* I pray those waiting will have a speedy process before the end of 2020 to get things moving * 

Timeline
On 10/25/2020 at 6:18 AM, Broomer said:

I have my Interview on Tuesday! I am a little anxious an worried that i have not prepared enough....Do I need to take all of the original documents that I uploaded onto my online portal  for proof. They are all PDFs so that should be able to see them. 

Is there anything else I am  having to prove? 

My understanding ( and correct me if I am wrong)  is that  I am there to take a test  (Civils and English )to see if I pass the requirements for citizenship. The fact I have an interview is surface evidence that they believe I have met eligibility to become a citizen.  Therefore I do not have to prove anything. Am I correct in thinking this way?

I dont want to take a bunch of items with me that is not necessary. 

My Info. Married 11 years to same spouse I married with K1 visa. 2 step children 1 biological. Wife was previously married. I believe i have qualified under the 5 year rule so the marriage factor should not be an issue?? 

Any help before the big day would be great or any advice 

thanks 

* I pray those waiting will have a speedy process before the end of 2020 to get things moving * 

Hello. How did you apply - based on 5 years residency or based on marriage with us citizen? You need to bring originals of everything you uploaded plus what is listed on your N400 interview notice. 

N400 interview does not happen every day, so that is why you should be overprepared: it is better to have more that is required, because you dont know what IO will ask you to show ( or what mood he/she will have).

Good luck on your interview! 

On 10/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, Linda999 said:

Hello. How did you apply - based on 5 years residency or based on marriage with us citizen? You need to bring originals of everything you uploaded plus what is listed on your N400 interview notice. 

N400 interview does not happen every day, so that is why you should be overprepared: it is better to have more that is required, because you dont know what IO will ask you to show ( or what mood he/she will have).

Good luck on your interview! 

Review of my citizenship

Appointment was at 11:45. I waited outside the building at 11:30. You can only go 15 mins before your appointment due to COVID19.  There were about 15 people ahead of me, it was cold so bring a jacket. I waited outside for about 10 minutes. They let me into the building and you pass through security.I had to take off my shoes and anything they could set off the metal detector. If your shoes have heels they make you take them off. I waited in a line then to be checked in. I had to show the lady in the booth my interview letter.  The woman looked at the interview letter, took my picture and  I gave my fingerprint for my index finger on my left and right hand. She then clicked a few buttons and gave me the letter back and  told me to go upstairs and hand it to the receptionist. Then I went up stairs and handed my letter to another lady and she told me to take a seat and wait for my name to be called. I then waited in the waiting room with about 20 other people. They call people by the first name and then take you back for the interview. I waited about 10 minutes. Officer Smith was my inspecting officer. She greeted me and started a conversation. I believe this was a test to see if I could speak English. We had a conversation for a few minutes and got to her office. She took my green card and passport and driver's license and then checked to make sure they were all Correct. 

She asked for my first and last name and if I was married. She then started with the test and asked me six questions. I passed all of them.

1.What group of people were taken toAmerica and sold as slaves? 

I answered (Africans) 

2. Name one state that borders Canada? I answered (Philadelphia) 

3. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now? I answered (John Roberts)

4. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? I answered (Speaker of the House)

5. There were 13 original states.Name three. I answered ( New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire)  

6. Why does the flag have 13 stripes? I answered ( The 13 original colonies) 

As part of the reading and writing sections she showed a sentence on an Ipad and I had to read it to her. It said “who is George Washington?”  I then had to write the answer to that question out on the iPad with my finger. She told me what to write, so I wrote “George Washington was the president”

She then continued and  asked a bunch of questions that were yes or no answer choices. These were  to see if I am a threat to America, obviously most of them were a no answer. Example, am I in a militia? Even been arrested? Etc.

She also then asked questions about  Pledge of Allegiance to America and if I was willing to defend the constitution. 

Before all the questioning she did make me stand up and raise my right hand and swear I would tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 

She then went through some formalities, checking my address and information to make sure it was all correct. I had to sign and make sure they were correct. 

As part of the reading and writing sections she showed a sentence on an Ipad and I had to read it to her. It said “who is George Washington?”  I then had to write the answer to that question out on the iPad with my finger. She told me what to write, so I wrote “George Washington was the president”. She then proceeded to check the answers and see if I passed everything which I did and then she said that she’s scheduling my oath ceremony and I should receive it in the mail in the next couple of weeks or to check online for a faster response. I left the building at 12:20 so all in all the process went really fast.

I didn't have to prove anything with originals, although I did have them with me in a binder. I did need my passport, Drivers License, permanent resident card. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello Guys,

just want to give you an update... finally after long wait i got my interview date which is nov 17th  😃

Field office is San fernando valley.

On 10/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, bond1980 said:

Hello Guys,

just want to give you an update... finally after long wait i got my interview date which is nov 17th  😃

Field office is San fernando valley.

Congrats on an interview date! Can you please tell me when you filed? I think I'll be going through the SFV office too so just trying to work out how long much longer to wait, thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.