Eugeniekk

Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations for I-693

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a DC filer, my PD is 7/17/19, and my status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for an interview" on 9/17.  I did not submit the I-693 with my AOS package and have received a courtesy letter shortly after the "Ready" status.  I haven't finished with my medical exam even though I started it in the beginning of August.  The reason is because my doctor told me to wait for six months to have my third shot of Hepatitis A and B, which makes me worry about if my interview date would come before I finish my medical exam.  I have  read many posts about how people don't start their medical exams until they receive the "Ready" status and haven't seen anyone having problems about the vaccinations process taking too long.

So I am wondering:

1. if my situation is normal?  

2. if that's the case, is it possible for me to reschedule if my interview date comes before I finish my medical exam?

7/19/2019 - PD

7/24/2019 - NOA

8/13/2019 - Biometrics appointment

9/10/2019 - Expedite EAD through Congressman

9/17/2019 - "Ready to be scheduled for an interview"

9/17/2019 - Courtesy letter

9/23/2019 - EAD "Expedite Request Approved"

Only the first of a series of shots is required for immigration purposes.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

11 hours ago, RandyW said:

Only the first of a series of shots is required for immigration purposes.

Really appreciate the info Randy!  Could you also share with me where I can find this info?  I found the following in the I-693 instruction (see item 3 in the screenshot below) but I am not sure if it is the same thing.  I went to a military doctor (should be eligible) instead of a civil surgeon and he is not very familiar with the whole process.   

image.thumb.png.551c6d5af28cdeca7a01cb842ce8ecd7.png

7/19/2019 - PD

7/24/2019 - NOA

There is also a box the Dr can check on their part of the paperwork which says 'insufficient interval' or similar. Which essentially means there wasn't time to finish the vaccine protocol prior to the interview. The Dr I saw checked that box for my MMR as I was told I needed two shots a month apart, but my medical was less than a month prior to the interview (which is in three weeks) and so I only had the first shot. 

You will need a doctor to sign off on the I-693. Only panel physicians (overseas) or civil surgeons (US) are authorized by the DHS to do this. 

If your doctor is "not very familiar with the whole process", he is probably not authorized to sign, but the panel physician or civil surgeon can accept vaccination records from other doctors.

They will have their own procedures to follow, which can change as needed.

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing

Q. Certain vaccine series can only be completed with multiple visits to the civil surgeon. Am I required to complete the entire series before the civil surgeon can sign the Form I-693?
A.  You are only required to receive a single dose of each vaccine when you visit the civil surgeon. You are encouraged to follow up with your private health care provider to complete the series. Once you have received the single dose appropriate at the time, the civil surgeon can sign and certify the Form I-693.

玉林,桂 resident

Hep A and and B were not even needed for AOS unless you are under 18. 

I've never heard of a military doctor being able to perform the medical for immigration. 

Edited by Ontarkie

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

29 minutes ago, RandyW said:

Q. Certain vaccine series can only be completed with multiple visits to the civil surgeon. Am I required to complete the entire series before the civil surgeon can sign the Form I-693?
A.  You are only required to receive a single dose of each vaccine when you visit the civil surgeon. You are encouraged to follow up with your private health care provider to complete the series. Once you have received the single dose appropriate at the time, the civil surgeon can sign and certify the Form I-693.

Can't thank you enough!  This is very helpful!

7/19/2019 - PD

7/24/2019 - NOA

9 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

Hep A and and B were not even needed for AOS unless you are under 18. 

I've never heard of a military doctor being able to perform the medical for immigration. 

I didn't know that either until I saw a post on VJ.   Hope this can be helpful for anyone in the same boat with me

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-c-chapter-3

B. Blanket Designation of Military Physicians as Civil Surgeons

1. Overview

Through policy, USCIS extended a blanket civil surgeon designation to military physicians for the completion of all parts of a required immigration medical examination for members and veterans of the U.S. armed forces and certain eligible dependents if the military physician meets certain conditions. 

This blanket designation eases the difficulties encountered by U.S. armed forces members, veterans, and certain eligible dependents when obtaining immigration medical examinations. It also eases the civil surgeon designation process for military physicians, since many military physicians are not licensed in the states in which they provide medical services for the military. Furthermore, this policy relieves USCIS of the need to maintain lists of individual military physicians designated as civil surgeons. 

2. Eligible Physicians

Participation in this blanket civil surgeon designation is entirely voluntary and at the discretion of each medical facility. This blanket designation only applies to military physicians who:

• Meet the professional qualifications of a civil surgeon [12] except that the physician may be licensed in any state in the United States, and is not required to be licensed in the state in which the physician is performing the immigration medical examination; 

• Are employed by the Department of Defense (DOD) or provides medical services to U.S. armed forces members, veterans, and their dependents as military contract providers or civilian physicians; and

• Are authorized to provide medical services at a military treatment facility (MTF) within the United States. 

Neither the medical facility nor the physician who qualifies and wishes to participate in the blanket designation needs to obtain approval from USCIS prior to performing immigration medical examinations as specified in the next section. Blanket designated civil surgeons are exempt from both USCIS application and fee requirements for civil surgeon designation.

However, military physicians must review and be familiar with CDC’s Technical Instructions for the Medical Examination of Aliens in the United States before they can begin performing immigration medical examinations. [13] 

7/19/2019 - PD

7/24/2019 - NOA

1 hour ago, payxibka said:

What does the ds3025 indicate?

I guess ds3025 is for K1? I'm not sure if it applies to me

2 hours ago, Sarah G said:

There is also a box the Dr can check on their part of the paperwork which says 'insufficient interval' or similar. Which essentially means there wasn't time to finish the vaccine protocol prior to the interview. The Dr I saw checked that box for my MMR as I was told I needed two shots a month apart, but my medical was less than a month prior to the interview (which is in three weeks) and so I only had the first shot. 

Thank you Sarah!  I'd let my dr do that too.

7/19/2019 - PD

7/24/2019 - NOA

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Eugeniekk said:

Neither the medical facility nor the physician who qualifies and wishes to participate in the blanket designation needs to obtain approval from USCIS prior to performing immigration medical examinations as specified in the next section. Blanket designated civil surgeons are exempt from both USCIS application and fee requirements for civil surgeon designation.

However, military physicians must review and be familiar with CDC’s Technical Instructions for the Medical Examination of Aliens in the United States before they can begin performing immigration medical examinations.

This would explain why the military physician is "not very familiar with the whole process"

Edited by RandyW

玉林,桂 resident

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.