47 posts in this topic

In the Sept AOS filers thread someone made a point that it might be good to file a marriage certificate for each the I-485, I-131, and I-765, and giving a cover letter for each itself aswell.  I see this could be a good idea, but is it needed?  Nothing is stated about this on the checklist on VJ here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

In the Sept AOS filers thread someone made a point that it might be good to file a marriage certificate for each the I-485, I-131, and I-765, and giving a cover letter for each itself aswell.  I see this could be a good idea, but is it needed?  Nothing is stated about this on the checklist on VJ here.

Not only good but essential 

While you will be sending the package all together , remember that each application ... i486 I 131 and I 765.. are 3 separate applications and must each stand alone. You need to attach all the required  documentation for each form to that form..  so that means duplicate marriage certificates , passport pics, birth certificates etc. Think about each one separately ..

Edited by Lil bear

5 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Not only good but essential 

While you will be sending the package all together , remember that each application ... i486 I 131 and I 765.. are 3 separate applications and must each stand alone. You need to attach all the required  documentation for each form to that form..  so that means duplicate marriage certificates , passport pics, birth certificates etc. Think about each one separately ..

So pretty much everything besides the I-485, I-765, I-864, I-131 will be duplicated each time again for the individual forms, does that mean in total as well 6x passport style photos?  Since it states 2x is needed

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

So pretty much everything besides the I-485, I-765, I-864, I-131 will be duplicated each time again for the individual forms, does that mean in total as well 6x passport style photos?  Since it states 2x is needed

Yes.  Pretend you are sending each form and it’s documents  in a separate envelope.    But the I864 is only required for the I485...  

4 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

6x yes!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

8 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes.  Pretend you are sending each form and it’s documents  in a separate envelope.    But the I864 is only required for the I485...  

so how will this cover page work then, in each separate cover page I won't mention the other contents that the other cover pages cover, example being the cover page for the contents for the I-485 and I-864 wont mention the fact that the I-785 and I-131 are also in? Then will there also be 1 grand big cover page?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

so how will this cover page work then, in each separate cover page I won't mention the other contents that the other cover pages cover, example being the cover page for the contents for the I-485 and I-864 wont mention the fact that the I-785 and I-131 are also in? Then will there also be 1 grand big cover page?

I’d do a dot point checklist for each  application that gives your A number and the forms / documents etc for each packet. I wouldn’t  bother with a cover cover sheet. 

what about the medical records? I'm guessing the go to is everything besides each individual application being the I-765, I-131, I-485 should be repeated for each?  Makes perfect sense, just the VJ AOS checklist is very very missleading making it seem as if that's all that is put in there one of each, not individual applications.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kerri and Myles said:

what about the medical records? I'm guessing the go to is everything besides each individual application being the I-765, I-131, I-485 should be repeated for each?  Makes perfect sense, just the VJ AOS checklist is very very missleading making it seem as if that's all that is put in there one of each, not individual applications.

The best thing would be for you to download and read the instructions PDF from the USCIS website for each form...  each instructions form will clearly list the supporting documents needed .. it’s always safest to read the official instruction sheets for the applications   The medical will only  be listed as needed for the I485 

6 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

The best thing would be for you to download and read the instructions PDF from the USCIS website for each form...  each instructions form will clearly list the supporting documents needed .. it’s always safest to read the official instruction sheets for the applications   The medical will only  be listed as needed for the I485 

Just never trust the actual USCIS website too much as it tends to leave out some things, like with the I-129F it didn't state a lot of the supporting documents that were needed in the end result package

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

Just never trust the actual USCIS website too much as it tends to leave out some things, like with the I-129F it didn't state a lot of the supporting documents that were needed in the end result package

Some forms have a lot of options in supporting documents such as the I129f and evidence of the relationship .. I have always  found it worth reading the official info and assessing other more  anecdotal information against the official source. 

2 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Some forms have a lot of options in supporting documents such as the I129f and evidence of the relationship .. I have always  found it worth reading the official info and assessing other more  anecdotal information against the official source. 

When you filed the AOS did you just make sure you had all the official required documentation from the website for each application, aswell as making sure the documents from the checklist on VJ are covered in each individual application then putting extra supporting documentation where needed, that's what we plan on doing, along with the cover letters, time to go to the court house tomorrow and get another couple certified copies of the marriage certificate lol.

Here was me thinking getting 3 that day was too many lol.

Edited by Kerri and Myles

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kerri and Myles said:

When you filed the AOS did you just make sure you had all the official required documentation from the website for each application, aswell as making sure the documents from the checklist on VJ are covered in each individual application then putting extra supporting documentation where needed?

I didn’t need to go through AOS ... came in in an IR through Consular Processing... but I well remember the confusion in completing the I864 and working out what documents to include .  I did s lot of reading across both the official and vj posts to get the best understanding that I could  ... then did exactly as you describe .. making sure I had all the USCIS site said I needed as well as other things recommended by vj posts that seemed  consistent and from solid posters 

Edited by Lil bear

1 hour ago, Kerri and Myles said:

1 for I485 written from the perspective of the immigrant.

1 for I864 written from the perspective of the sponsor.

1 for I765 written from the perspective of the immigrant.

1 for I131 written from the perspective of the immigrant.

Inputting something like this into the body of each I485, I765, I131 is helpful to show you are concurrently filing:

"Please note, I am also filing both the FORM I-765 – Application for Employment Authorization, Category (c)(9), “Adjustment Applicant under Section 245” and the FORM I-131 – Application for Travel Document (Advance Parole) concurrently with this FORM I-485. Those forms and separate supporting documents are following this initial package and have individual cover letters outlining what each application package includes."

Obviously changing the form numbers for whichever coverletter it is for.

1 hour ago, Kerri and Myles said:

A photocopy of your DS3025 is only required for the I485.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.