theresaL

What are the marriage customs and papers at Mosque

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your time and help. My step-daughter (non-Muslim) is marrying a Turkish man and I am curious as to the traditions, customs and in particular, what are the papers that are signed at the Mosque. They (stepdaughter & fiance) live in France and the marriage will be in France at the city hall (Mairie) as required by French law. I do not know anything about wedding customs in Turkish culture, so I'm hoping you all can help me. She said his family wants them to go to the Mosque a few days before the wedding to sign some papers. Is this a type of marriage contract? and what should she expect to see, agree to and does this give or take away any particular rights? Thanks for you help.

Edit: Moderators, if I put this in the wrong place please move to the correct folder.

Edited by theresaL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
34 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your time and help. My step-daughter (non-Muslim) is marrying a Turkish man and I am curious as to the traditions, customs and in particular, what are the papers that are signed at the Mosque. They (stepdaughter & fiance) live in France and the marriage will be in France at the city hall (Mairie) as required by French law. I do not know anything about wedding customs in Turkish culture, so I'm hoping you all can help me. She said his family wants them to go to the Mosque a few days before the wedding to sign some papers. Is this a type of marriage contract? and what should she expect to see, agree to and does this give or take away any particular rights? Thanks for you help.

Edit: Moderators, if I put this in the wrong place please move to the correct folder.

I'm not positive on the Turkish wedding culture, but am familiar with an Islamic wedding. The husband and wife will sign a nikkah or marriage contract. The bride will have a male witness such as a father or brother and the husband will have the same. The groom will give the bride a specified amount of money agreed by the families. The money will be used by however the bride chooses. In the contract, the bride and groom list out what they want in the relationship. Such as how the children will be raised, where they will live, etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
47 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Whatever they sign at the mosque isn't legally binding since France has a clear division of church (or mosque) and state. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Timeline
24 minutes ago, mich923 said:

I'm not positive on the Turkish wedding culture, but am familiar with an Islamic wedding. The husband and wife will sign a nikkah or marriage contract. The bride will have a male witness such as a father or brother and the husband will have the same. The groom will give the bride a specified amount of money agreed by the families. The money will be used by however the bride chooses. In the contract, the bride and groom list out what they want in the relationship. Such as how the children will be raised, where they will live, etc.

Thanks for your response. I understand a little more now.

Would this contain any requirement for her to adopt Muslim religion?

Edited by theresaL

Timeline
10 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Whatever they sign at the mosque isn't legally binding since France has a clear division of church (or mosque) and state. 

thanks for the response. Yes I know about the legalities/non legalities. My questions are more about customs and specifically what is in the document at the Mosque. I want to be more informed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Islamic marriages are a contract signed by both 

Ours was performed in clerk office in Morocco not a mosque

in morocco the wife does not have to convert

i settled for a small dowery / my airfare to morocco and back

you will be asked to provide a translator as all is done in Arabic

there is no ceremony like our wedding ceremony but in the following day (or days) there is  a celebration of the marriage:

with Henna

1st meal of dates and milk

someone should come in and do your makeup and pile hair on the head for a crown

they will bring in 1 or more beautiful dresses with matching jewelry and crown

make sure you have the French marriage document as that will be accepted by immigration 

hope that helps

if you were to stay in Turkey you would go by that county's laws as far as wife and husband 

In Morocco the muslim women have a lot of power

but you will be coming here

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Islamic marriages are a contract signed by both 

Ours was performed in clerk office in Morocco not a mosque

in morocco the wife does not have to convert

i settled for a small dowery / my airfare to morocco and back

you will be asked to provide a translator as all is done in Arabic

there is no ceremony like our wedding ceremony but in the following day (or days) there is  a celebration of the marriage:

with Henna

1st meal of dates and milk

someone should come in and do your makeup and pile hair on the head for a crown

they will bring in 1 or more beautiful dresses with matching jewelry and crown

make sure you have the French marriage document as that will be accepted by immigration 

hope that helps

if you were to stay in Turkey you would go by that county's laws as far as wife and husband 

In Morocco the muslim women have a lot of power

but you will be coming here

Thanks for the response. It's not for me it's my step-daughter and no immigration is involved. I'm asking for information is all.

I do know that it is customary in Turkish culture that the man's family pays for the wedding and the party afterwards. Hey, maybe she could ask for the price of our rt tickets to France as her dowry?? :idea:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
42 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Thanks for your response. I understand a little more now.

Would this contain any requirement for her to adopt Muslim religion?

No a Muslim man can marry a non-muslim woman. She does not have to convert if she doesn't want to. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 minutes ago, theresaL said:

Thanks for the response. It's not for me it's my step-daughter and no immigration is involved. I'm asking for information is all.

I do know that it is customary in Turkish culture that the man's family pays for the wedding and the party afterwards. Hey, maybe she could ask for the price of our rt tickets to France as her dowry?? :idea:

Ok,  figured this was for a Visa here 

she can ask for anything reasonable / unreasonable usually means the girl does not want to marry

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.