Sesame Howard

Naturalized but need documents for my kids

13 posts in this topic

I was recently naturalized. At the ceremony the USCIS people took my green card and those of my children as they are now citizens. The problem is how do i get a passport for them? I only have their foreign birth certificates and passports. I have my US citizen certificate but they have no proof of citizenship. I know that I can file a N-600 but that is $1000 per child and that seems expensive, are they going to send certificates for my children? The kids are 13 and 17. Thank you for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

No the only ones you can get are they N-600 you have to pay to get those as you said yourself. 

You can can however take them to get a US passport and then that will be their proof of usc. 

You take your certificate with you and use that for their passport like you did yours. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, Sesame Howard said:

What should i use for documentation? I only have their expired green cards and Philippine passports

Look up the webpage to get American passport it will say what you need for the big child and for the child under 16. 

My husband was just naturalized.  At the ceremony, they advised you to apply for passports for your children along with YOUR citizenship certificate.

But.

They said sometimes the Dept of State won't accept that, and asks for a certificate for the child.  In which case you have to pay $1k to receive one.  They advised you to apply without it, and "see how you get on".

It sounds ridiculous to me.  Left hand not talking to the right.  USCIS says you don't need one, but it's up to the Dept of State, who sometimes don't know you don't need one.  

On J visas.  Spouse won DV lottery while in US.  Did AOS from the US.

Boston field office, GC holder for 10 years.

Citizenship received in 2016, took ~5 months from application to passport.

Spouse received citizenship in 2019

11 hours ago, kiwibean said:

They said sometimes the Dept of State won't accept that, and asks for a certificate for the child.

They might've been referring to the requirement that the children's applications include the parent's original certificate: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Child-Citizenship-2000-Sections-320-322-INA.html "the passport application must include the following proof of acquisition of citizenship under the INA Section 320"

If so, that would corroborate the experiences I mentioned earlier. Then applying for 1 passport at a time would be the way to go.

Edited by HRQX

5 hours ago, HRQX said:

They might've been referring to the requirement that the children's applications include the parent's original certificate: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Child-Citizenship-2000-Sections-320-322-INA.html "the passport application must include the following proof of acquisition of citizenship under the INA Section 320"

If so, that would corroborate the experiences I mentioned earlier. Then applying for 1 passport at a time would be the way to go.

You can apply 3 passport at the time but you need to copy you naturalization certificate and the green card or foreign passport that had I-551 for both kids and and their birth certificate all copies need to notarize to become certified true copy from original,  for both applications. That what I missed at that time I was apply for 3 passport. Now i recieved my kids passport it delivered at the same time, so no need to apply 1 passport at a time.

On 9/5/2019 at 10:08 PM, Sesame Howard said:

I was recently naturalized. At the ceremony the USCIS people took my green card and those of my children as they are now citizens. The problem is how do i get a passport for them? I only have their foreign birth certificates and passports. I have my US citizen certificate but they have no proof of citizenship. I know that I can file a N-600 but that is $1000 per child and that seems expensive, are they going to send certificates for my children? The kids are 13 and 17. Thank you for your help!

Hi just apply for passport for your kids using your naturalization certificate thier birth certificates and the Philippines passport that had I-551 make a copy each of it for both of your kids then you need to notarize every copies to make certified true copy from original, I got notarized mine in the city office for free, 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just applied for me and my son's passport.He is 16 years old.I was never asked for a copy of his green card to add to the package.Will this be an issue?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.