Shub

Anyone fly on KLM/NWA?

18 posts in this topic

My "interview" was yesterday (not that one can reasonably call it an interview since they didn't ask me any questions whatsoever :blink:) and my visa will come in the mail this week. :D

I am now looking at my options to fly from Geneva (Switzerland) to JFK. I'm ultimately going to Philadelphia, but I want the work stamp, and I'll be picked up from JFK, so I don't have to worry about connecting flights.

My mother-in-law's boyfriend has offered to pay for my flight using his frequent flyer miles on Northwest Airlines. I found out that NWA has a codeshare flight with KLM from Amsterdam (Netherlands) to JFK, which would be convenient for me. I was wondering if anyone has experience flying with either of those airlines and what they have to say (good or bad).

For example, the last time I went to the US, I flew with Lufthansa (Geneva - Frankfurt - Philadelphia) and the FRA-PHL leg was unpleasant for me because I'm a tall guy (196 cm or 6'5") and the space between my seat and the one in front of me was too small to fit my legs comfortably. My flights were ok otherwise. I can totally tolerate bad seating for 8 hours if I have to, considering the circumstances (permanently moving abroad, getting married and all that jazz), but if I can avoid it, that's always a plus! :innocent: Of course I'm not looking just for info on the seats in KLM/NWA's coach class... just any info you have and can think of based on your experience.

Thanks!

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi !

First of all, let me congratulate you on your sucessful interview. Bravo !!! :thumbs:

My husband used to live in Aberdeen, SCT and I am in New York. The best way to get there was NWA/KLM... JFK going through Schipol to Aberdeen. I traveled with them almost every time I went over, and I have to say, they were great. Free drinks, decent food (as far as airline food goes) and movie screens on the back of each chair, with a fair amount of good selections.

I am a small woman, but I get antsy if I don't have much room, so I usually requested the very last row in the plane. You will find that you'll get a very good amount of leg room in the last row, you'll be served first, and not many people sit back there. Your legs will have plenty of room.

The draw back is that you may have to travel a bit to get to the lavatory, and you'll be one of the last to exit the plane.

All in all, I would give it a fine rating, and highly suggest using them.

Best of luck to you in the US. :)

Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Thanks! I've flown a lot in my life but had never noticed there was more leg space in the last row. To me the last row was always a synonym of lingering bad odors. Well, anyway, I suppose I shall be fine wherever I sit.

Timeline:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Re: what row to sit in, what is that one website that reviews each type of plane and finds the best seats in relation to leg room, bathroom location, etc? Maybe someone will post it.

But re: NWA/KLM, because NWA is hubbed in Minneapolis, I am in their frequent flyer program and fly with them all the time (about to fly to California with them on Friday). I've taken KLM several times, too, and I have to say that I've preferred those flights to Continental, United, etc. as far as Europe-US. I think KLM is actually somehow part of NWA, not just solely a codeshare partner(?). Their phone customer service (NWA's) is ####### but once on the plane the service is usually pretty nice. I've never taken Lufthansa though, so I can't compare to that airline. That's very generous of your future relative to offer to pay for your ticket in miles! I would take him up on it!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
But re: NWA/KLM, because NWA is hubbed in Minneapolis, I am in their frequent flyer program and fly with them all the time (about to fly to California with them on Friday). I've taken KLM several times, too, and I have to say that I've preferred those flights to Continental, United, etc. as far as Europe-US. I think KLM is actually somehow part of NWA, not just solely a codeshare partner(?). Their phone customer service (NWA's) is ####### but once on the plane the service is usually pretty nice. I've never taken Lufthansa though, so I can't compare to that airline. That's very generous of your future relative to offer to pay for your ticket in miles! I would take him up on it!

You are right that they are more than code-share partners but they are far from being a part of each other. They are seperate operating entities who work very closely with each other and share many resources (ie... US customer service for KLM is NWA and vice versa in Europe) to avoid overlap or duplication.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You are right that they are more than code-share partners but they are far from being a part of each other. They are seperate operating entities who work very closely with each other and share many resources (ie... US customer service for KLM is NWA and vice versa in Europe) to avoid overlap or duplication.

Ah thanks for clearing that up.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

We fly NWA (not too many other choices when you are flying out of Minneapolis), and my husband flies very frequently to China and/or Europe.

He's tall too, and is doing fine if they use an Airbus. They are currently replacing their very old DC10 (or DC 11?) planes by Airbuses on the US-Europe route which is great. Those old planes where loud, too!

So yes, I agree with what Mrs. Bruce said, try to get into the back of the plane, where the rows have one seat less, too.

Have a good trip! Good luck.

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Filed: Timeline

Be careful of the last row in the plane. The comfort level depends on the type of aircraft. The toilets are usually back there so you not only get the smells but the lineups to them as well. I've not only been served last back there but the seats didn't incline because they were directly against the bulkhead and there was nil leg room. There's usually a description of each aircraft online if you want to check out the flights you're considering.

Congratuations on the visa and have a safe trip!

iagree.gif

Congratulations on the approval. My friend always flys NWA to and from the Philippines because of their prices but said the in-flight service wasn't much to speak of.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Best of luck with the seating... I understand the situation of "leg" room. My oldest daughter is 6ft tall and her husband is 6 ft 5.

Here is the website that you can look at seating arrangements of all major airlines and also do comparison.

SEAT GURU

Play around on the site... it is really interesting... You can see what seats to avoid.. and what seats have better dimensions.

Enjoy.. hope it helps.

Love isn't love unless it is expressed;

caring isn't caring unless the other person knows;

sharing isn't sharing unless the other person is included

Congrats! on your visa

one thing you can do, if you are able to see the flight itinerary and seatings, you can pick an emergency row, normally those have more legroom. :thumbs:

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Congrats with your visa!!! :dance:

I had used both airlines and like them both, our prefer KLM :thumbs:

Our AOS Journey

July 18, 07: AOS/EAD sent to Chicago

Aug 03, 07: Received Biometrics appt. letter

Aug 23, 07: Biometrics

Aug 30, 07: Transfer to CSC letter dated 8/27

Sept 19, 07: EAD Approval email

Sept 29, 07: EAD card Received

Oct 09, 07: AOS Approved

Oct 13, 07: Green Card in hand

one thing you can do, if you are able to see the flight itinerary and seatings, you can pick an emergency row, normally those have more legroom. :thumbs:

That is quite right. Unfortunately there is a restriction that comes in counterpart, which is that you cannot have a bag under the seat in front of you when you're in one of the emergency rows... and I quite like that!

Alright alright, I know -- pros and cons, and getting up to get my stuff in the overhead compartment isn't such a big deal after all. Something to consider -- thanks :)

Timeline:

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I flew KLM once from Chicago to Amsterdam round trip. I can't really comment on it compared to other airlines, as it was the first time I'd flown at all. The food was pretty good, and they do check in on you a decent amount. The bathrooms are a little cramped. All in all, they were good flights.

My husband (fiance' at the time) and I only stopped using them because there were quite a few cheaper flights out of Brussels through American Airlines and it was about the same distance from him as Schipol.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.