KnJ24

Wrong middle name on green card

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, my wife just received her green card and her middle name is wrong. When we got married she took my last name and changed her middle name to her maiden name, as is the custom in her country. I filed all the paperwork for her AOS, EAD and AP in her new name and all the notices they sent back were mailed to her in her correct name including the interview notice, but they somehow put her old middle name on the card.

I read that you can file form I-90 and it will take a long time to process, and that we would have to send back the original green card. We really want to get her drivers license, update her SS card and get employment now as she has been waiting since her arrival early this year. If we send it back would we have to wait until the new card comes with her correct name to get a job and license?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I believe marriage only allows you to change your surname. To change a middle name I think you have to go through a court name change process. 

You can use a hyphenated name with the maiden name and new name as one last name but the middle name stays the same.

Edited by tsabbas
Additional info

38 minutes ago, KnJ24 said:

Hello, my wife just received her green card and her middle name is wrong. When we got married she took my last name and changed her middle name to her maiden name, as is the custom in her country. I filed all the paperwork for her AOS, EAD and AP in her new name and all the notices they sent back were mailed to her in her correct name including the interview notice, but they somehow put her old middle name on the card.

I read that you can file form I-90 and it will take a long time to process, and that we would have to send back the original green card. We really want to get her drivers license, update her SS card and get employment now as she has been waiting since her arrival early this year. If we send it back would we have to wait until the new card comes with her correct name to get a job and license?

Anyone have any suggestions?

You should file the I-90 and then make an appointment to get the I-551 stamp in her passport, which is the same thing as a green card. You don't need to wait for the new card. The card and stamp PROOF of her status. Her status is not terminated or suspended or eliminated in any way just cause she doesn't have the physical card.

Timeline
36 minutes ago, tsabbas said:

I believe marriage only allows you to change your surname. To change a middle name I think you have to go through a court name change process. 

You can use a hyphenated name with the maiden name and new name as one last name but the middle name stays the same.

In Ohio you can change both middle and last name after marriage. It might be different in other states.

29 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

You should file the I-90 and then make an appointment to get the I-551 stamp in her passport, which is the same thing as a green card. You don't need to wait for the new card. The card and stamp PROOF of her status. Her status is not terminated or suspended or eliminated in any way just cause she doesn't have the physical card.

Thank you. I will try to get the stamp then file the I-90

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

6 minutes ago, KnJ24 said:

Thank you. I will try to get the stamp then file the I-90

They won’t stamp you while you have your valid GC in hand. As suggested, file i90 first and go for stamping with the receipt notice.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

If I file the I-90 do I need to pay the fee? This was not a mistake on my end as all the paperwork I filed was with the correct name. Will they even look at the form if the fee is not included? 

1 minute ago, arken said:

They won’t stamp you while you have your valid GC in hand. As suggested, file i90 first and go for stamping with the receipt notice.

Oh. Maybe we should get the drivers permit first then file the form.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

12 minutes ago, KnJ24 said:

If I file the I-90 do I need to pay the fee? This was not a mistake on my end as all the paperwork I filed was with the correct name. Will they even look at the form if the fee is not included? 

No fee is required. Whether you file it online or thru mail, there is a reason you need to pick which will be uscis error meaning no fee.

12 minutes ago, KnJ24 said:

Oh. Maybe we should get the drivers permit first then file the form.

You can do that, get whatever you can using the current GC and then file for i90 and Change names on those documents after getting the new GC.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
3 minutes ago, arken said:

No fee is required. Whether you file it online or thru mail, there is a reason you need to pick which will be uscis error meaning no fee.

You can do that, get whatever you can using the current GC and then file for i90 and Change names on those documents after getting the new GC.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, tsabbas said:

I believe marriage only allows you to change your surname.

This varies by state. Here in California, both parties to a marriage can change surname and middle name within certain limits (also, CA marriage licenses/certificates explicitly show the name you want to be known by after marriage, if it's different).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

• 2 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jhenjhen said:

Hi! 
I’m having the same exact problem. I’m wondering if you can help me and tell Me what you did to make the green card right. Thank you!

If your name is wrong, you must file an I-90 to get your name fixed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.