5 posts in this topic

I have been rethinking if we should have waited a little more to get some documents & photos together after marriage before sending packet as I keep reading including that would hve made interview a little more easier. We filed AOS within a month of my hubby entering US as we got married a week after he came. I was under the impression these relationship documents can only be shown during interview but now keep reading posts that says otherwise in different sites. There’s nothing we can do now to correct it if it was a mistake but may be your advice will help future AOS filers. TIA

Edited by ujones

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, ujones said:

I have been rethinking if we should have waited a little more to get some documents & photos together after marriage before sending packet as I keep reading including that would hve made interview a little more easier. We filed AOS within a month of my hubby entering US as we got married a week after he came. I was under the impression these relationship documents can only be shown during interview but now keep reading posts that says otherwise in different sites. There’s nothing we can do now to correct it if it was a mistake but may be your advice will help future AOS filers. TIA

Don't think it was a mistake.  Just keep a file with the marriage documents and photos for the interview.  IOs understand that K1 marriages going through AOS will not have a ton of documentation.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
49 minutes ago, ujones said:

No relationship evidence is required for the i-485. Many of us, me included, didn't send a single piece of evidence.

The marriage certificate is the only required document in that regard, and that's not considered evidence of bonafide marriage anyway.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, ujones said:

AOS is mostly about income, don't worry on the photos together.   At the interview, if you are interviewed, they will ask a few questions about where you live, how many bedrooms, bathrooms and such ... general stuff.

Living as a married couple evidence doesn't happen until 2 years after your conditional green card, at that time you will file ROC ... THIS is where you want lots of evidence (as in 24mos worth) of co-mingling of everything

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
7 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Don't think it was a mistake.  Just keep a file with the marriage documents and photos for the interview.  IOs understand that K1 marriages going through AOS will not have a ton of documentation.

Good Luck!

Agree with Bill and Katya !!  :thumbs:

We got married 4 days after her POE, and we then  filed the AOS/EAD/AP for K1 and K2, about two weeks later. This enabled my wife and stepson to get their 2-year conditional GCs in 134 days. I know in our case it was no mistake, actually it enabled them to assimilate quicker into American culture and way of life. Check out our timeline.

Sure, with the current protracted processing times, folks may have to provide more marriage bonafides evidence at the AOS interview. However, the real test for marriage bonafides is still the ROC phase.

I am glad that we did what we did, when we did it, and wouldn't change it if I could.

YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.