Ed&Midori1031

Updating Foreign Passports After Marriage

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Not sure if this is the right area of topic, but I'll ask here anyways...Just was curious if anyone experienced updating their spouses foreign passport after marriage?  Was it a hassle?  Was it as simple as just applying for an update to the current passport with the new legal name?  Or did you have to register at the local embaassy of the spouses home country?  Or did you do it at all?  For Brazil, my wife was saying we would have to do a marriage in Brazil in order to get registred prior to having her passport updated, but I'm thinking just going to a Brazilian embassy should be fine.  Thank you for the read...  

Edited by Ed&Midori1031

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

Not sure if this is the right area of topic, but I'll ask here anyways...Just was curious if anyone experienced updating their spouses foreign passport after marriage?  Was it a hassle?  Was it as simple as just applying for an update to the current passport with the new legal name?  Or did you have to register at the local embaassy of the spouses home country?  Or did you do it at all?  For Brazil, my wife was saying we would have to do a marriage in Brazil in order to get registred prior to having her passport updated, but I'm thinking just going to a Brazilian embassy should be fine.  Thank you for the read...  

Country dependent.   We did ours via the consulate (not Brazil) on this past Saturday. 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Agree, country specific.  You may want to ask a moderator to move this to the Brazil regional forum for more relevant responses.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Like others have said, it's country specific.

My husband had to mail his passport to the Jordanian consulate in Washington D.C in order renew his passport as there is only one consulate for his home country in the U.S. Thankfully he's a U.S. citizen now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The marriage will need to be registered at the Brazilian consulate of jurisdiction. Then they will issue a Brazilian marriage certificate and your spouse will need that to get a new passport.

Then, when she goes to Brazil, she simply needs to go to a notary (cartorio) to have the marriage transcribed in their books. Absolutely no need to "get married" again.

Timeline
15 hours ago, Nat&Amy said:

The marriage will need to be registered at the Brazilian consulate of jurisdiction. Then they will issue a Brazilian marriage certificate and your spouse will need that to get a new passport.

Then, when she goes to Brazil, she simply needs to go to a notary (cartorio) to have the marriage transcribed in their books. Absolutely no need to "get married" again.

Thank you so much for clearing that help! I will let my wife know right away! 

Timeline
On 8/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, Nat&Amy said:

I wanted to ask you, did you call the embassy directly to register your marriage, or request my email.  Did you have to appear in person to register? As it looks the San Francisco Consulate is within our jurisdiction.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.