SFC

N-400 Receive date one day early

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I became eligible for naturalization on 08/20/2019. I decided to apply online and started my application online a few days before then.  On the late night of 08/19/2019 the system showed that I am eligible to apply, so I went ahead paid the fee and applied.  I figured the system would let me apply since it was already 08/20/2019 in east coast and central time, so I did not see a problem.  However, when I received my I-797C, I realized that both "receive date" and "priority date" are listed as 08/19/2019 and notice date is listed as 08/20/2019. So based on these dates I have applied one day early, even though the system allowed me to submit the application.  I also got a notification that biometrics letter is on my way. 

What Should I do? Should I withdraw my application and reapply?  Should I let the process go through and hope it goes smoothly?  Interview appointments can take 8 to 10 months to get, so not sure I'm better off reapplying... Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

I believe you will be denied.

Was it after midnight in your time-zone?

If I remember correctly, the person in the above thread was only able to get the denial changed because they did file after midnight in their time-zone, so technically didn’t file early.

Edited by CJKylie

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

90 Day Window Opened.....08/03/17

I-751 Packet Sent................08/04/17

NOA Dated...........................08/07/17

NOA Received......................08/09/17

Check Cashed......................08/09/17

Biometrics Letter Rcvd........08/26/17

Biometrics Appointment......09/07/17

Approval................................08/05/19

Naturalization Timeline

Field Office: Santa Ana, CA

90 Day Window Opened.......08/03/18

N-400 Filed (Online)..............08/03/18

Receipt Notice.......................08/03/18

Biometrics Letter Rcvd..........08/20/18

Biometrics Appointment.......09/07/18

Interview Letter Dated...........07/01/19

Interview Letter Rcvd............07/08/19

Interview................................08/05/19

Approval................................08/05/19

Oath.......................................08/22/19

Filed: Timeline

I would assume that your applic was not considered submitted unless you've paid for it already. Did you have online notification from your credit card company? When I submitted mine, I immediately got an email from my credit card company that there was a pending authorization or purchase from USCIS ELIS N on date so and so... I had this set up with my CC. If it says 8/20, you're in better shape.

In any case, call them and tell them about your NOA.

Edited by xyz12345

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, SFC said:

Hi all,

I became eligible for naturalization on 08/20/2019. I decided to apply online and started my application online a few days before then.  On the late night of 08/19/2019 the system showed that I am eligible to apply, so I went ahead paid the fee and applied.  I figured the system would let me apply since it was already 08/20/2019 in east coast and central time, so I did not see a problem.  However, when I received my I-797C, I realized that both "receive date" and "priority date" are listed as 08/19/2019 and notice date is listed as 08/20/2019. So based on these dates I have applied one day early, even though the system allowed me to submit the application.  I also got a notification that biometrics letter is on my way. 

What Should I do? Should I withdraw my application and reapply?  Should I let the process go through and hope it goes smoothly?  Interview appointments can take 8 to 10 months to get, so not sure I'm better off reapplying... Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Check your credit card payment receive time email from USCIS.  It might be 8/19, if it is 8/20, you have better chance. I was also excited like you, but instead of mid night ( was originally planned), I did ET 8 am and I was fine.  You will get a call for interview and depends on the IO , you might be approved or it can be denied. 

I forgot payment details in the USCIS email receipt until dilip mentioned it.  the email payment notification from both the credit card company and USCIS came in 4 hours later than the time on the receipt itself.  I'm eastern standard time and it looks like it was processed in alaska time. If they processed the paperwork before 359am eastern time on 8/20 (meaning 1159pm on 8/29 alaska time), then you might see a discrepancy in the NOA dates.

Edited by xyz12345

my credit card was charged 11:30PM on 08/19/2019. My time zone is pacific.

So they should fix their system then. the system does not let you apply if it is early. When I saw the system lets me apply I thought it is ok to apply. It is really disappointing that I would be denied only for a few hours.

What would I do? Withdraw or let it go through?

5 hours ago, SFC said:

my credit card was charged 11:30PM on 08/19/2019. My time zone is pacific.

So they should fix their system then. the system does not let you apply if it is early. When I saw the system lets me apply I thought it is ok to apply. It is really disappointing that I would be denied only for a few hours.

What would I do? Withdraw or let it go through?

Your CC transaction was timed 1130pm pacific time, your time zone? How about the time on the email delivery? Both my credit card and USCIS emails were delivered at 735 am (which was the actual time that I worked on my applic) but the receipt was charged at 335 am. I applied 45 days early so the time discrepancy was not a big deal for me.

I would still call them up first thing and inquire about your situation/next steps/biometrics etc. You have nothing to lose. What is your tolerance for risk? To be fair, people on the East Coast do not have a free hour or so to abide by the 90 day early filing so why should LPRs in other time zones have one? Just my $0.02 worth.

http://projectcitizenship.org/denial-withdrawal-appeals-12192014/

Withdrawing a Naturalization Application

If an applicant decides to withdraw his/her application, he/she must request the withdrawal in writing. A person may withdraw for if they do not feel prepared for the interview or if they are no longer eligible due to a criminal incident or failure to meet another requirement. If a person decides to withdraw, USCIS must inform the applicant that they are giving up the ability to act on the current application at any time in the future. This means that a person cannot change his/her mind about withdrawal and go forward with the application if the withdrawal was approved. It is at the discretion of the Attorney General whether to permit the withdrawal.

• If accepted, the applicant may submit a future application and the withdrawal will not give negative implications to the later application.
  • If the withdrawal is not accepted, the immigration officer will decide the application based on its merits (the information provided in the application).

I became eligible on 8.19. On 8.18 when I reviewed my application, I was still given the error that I was not yet an LPR for 2 years and 9 months....August 19, 2019. I applied about 8:30am EST on 8.19 to be sure I covered AOE time as I didn't and still don't know what time zone USCIS uses. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would withdraw and apply again. If you don't, there's a high likelihood you'll wait months just to have it denied, then have to fight like @Hypnos did or let it go and file again. Up to you whether that's something you'd be ok doing.

Timeline
  • If accepted, the applicant may submit a future application and the withdrawal will not give negative implications to the later application.  Withdrawal will not have negative implication- only you will loose your filing fees and time to apply for withdrawal and decision by USCIS.
  • If the withdrawal is not accepted, the immigration officer will decide the application based on its merits (the information provided in the application).- since your reason for withdrawal is due to filing after mid-night your time zone, but USCIS computer is set on Alaska time zone, you are not in fault and if you put all those facts in your withdrawal application ( I am not suggesting to withdrawal, it is your decision and how much risk you would like to take ), they might not accept the withdrawal and allow your application to process.
Edited by dilip

Timeline
11 hours ago, SFC said:

Thanks for responses. It seems like we have some opposing opinions, "let the current application run" vs. "withdraw and re-apply."

Yes, you will receive both opinions, it will be your decision at the end.  

Edited by dilip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.